Glim, ChossWrangler, Patman, ChargedX, Randy Howerton
10084 Registered Users
Recent Posts
ECXC 2024!
by Tom
23/04/24 04:27 PM
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 131 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#199153 - 03/01/04 08:00 PM synthetic?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Have yet to do my first oil change on the new X. Curious about how many folks are using synthetic. Probably gonna go with Mobil 1; has anyone noticed an increase in gas mileage with synth?

#199154 - 03/01/04 08:15 PM Re: synthetic?
DocNo Offline

Loc: NoVA
Quote:
Originally posted by Paceman:
has anyone noticed an increase in gas mileage with synth?
nope. I waited until 7500 miles to switch. The only reason I use synthetic is I do the changes myself, and it still costs less using sythentic and changing it myself then paying someone else to do the changes and use plain 'ol dino juice. Doubt it will make much difference in the long run, as long as you do regular changes.

#199155 - 03/01/04 08:18 PM Re: synthetic?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Actually, did a little research on the posts, and there's already a ton of info on this. I'm new to the site, so please forgive me rehashing this topic. Thanks for the info.

#199156 - 03/01/04 08:24 PM Re: synthetic?
DocNo Offline

No problem (edited to add - if you just ignore the search Nazi's they can't hurt you and eventually go away). Of course the lack of gas milage change could be due to my driving habits (hey a 5 speed and the SC is fun) then any powers the synth may not have.

I took off the gear basket, air deflector and cross members on the roof rack. On the highway that translated into an average 1MPG increase - almost not worth it :rolleyes:

The X is a big, heavy brick - good milage just isn't in the cards I'm afraid.

I still love it smile

#199157 - 03/01/04 08:33 PM Re: synthetic?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Just so you know, I've got 5-speed envy. My pathfinder was a 5, and I miss shifting. Wife was tired of it, though, so we compromised (I got the SC, she got the auto)...and you're right...I still love it.

#199158 - 03/01/04 08:44 PM Re: synthetic?
DocNo Offline

I was set to get an automatic NA Xterra...

Then I made the "mistake" of test driving an SC 5 speed - it was over. Never even bothered test driving an automatic smile

Too bad they don't offer the SC 5 speed in the states any more frown either way, it's still an X and still fun - welcome to the club!

#199159 - 04/01/04 11:54 AM Re: synthetic?
Excelagator Offline

Loc: Wisconsin...The show me how to...
I use synthetic in wife's Maxima and 10AE Miata and there is a slight different on idle and power, very small though. My X I run Castrol GTX the reason being the X does not hold much oil and cycles oil faster though the engine, IMHO. I change my oil every 2000 miles though. I do some city driving, tow, and live in a cold climate too. I have done this on cars and trucks I have owned in the past. I seen no varnish on a 91 Camry with valve covers removed after 100,000 miles. I do not believe in some synthetic oils being changed at 5000 miles. My wifes cars get oil changed at 3000 miles reguardless they have synthetic in them. In fact is oil is going to get blow by and other dirty things in your oil no matter what oil you put in it! So changing oil on a regular intervals is the best insurance you can do have.

Dan

Moderator:  johngraves2 

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal