2002 Door Opening Trim
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:32 PM
XOC Still Lives
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:31 PM
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 139 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#192946 - 21/06/05 02:21 PM clutch change
Anonymous
Unregistered

Am currently in the process of changing my clutch, and what a process it is!! Going into the 10 hour mark approx. so far, and still a ways to go before it's all back in. For comparison, in my 94 4Runner, I could have the tranny out, clutch changed, and everything back into the truck in less than 3 hours.

On the X, oh man, what a pain it can be to work on. Torsion bars needed to come off, needed to separate tranny from T-case and take it out in 2 parts (why does the T-case on an X need to be absolutely MASSIVE???), managed to not have to take off my exhaust, even though a book I have says it needs to be removed. Arrgh. And oh yeah, the starter is a b*tch to get at as well, unless your arm is elbowed in 5 spots. Also, broke off one of the bolts that holds the shift linkage to the tranny, need to get my brother to try to get that out for me. Not to mention that when dropping the tranny, there is a sensor on top of the tranny (hidden when it's up in place) that I broke because I didn't unplug it. D'oh! Let that be a lesson to anybody else doing tranny work, unplug that sensor before dropping it. It turned out to be a crankshaft position sensor. It's only about $30, but it's cash that didn't need to be spent, considering a new clutch for this bad boy came to $500. (BTW, oddly enough found the best price on a complete clutch kit from the DEALER, of all places...I was stunned.)

To add to the pleasure of the task, after pulling the tranny, noticed my rear main seal was starting to leak, so I just replaced that as well. Another fun project right there, since the seal is inset about 1/2 inch. All done now, though.

Well, just needed to vent my frustration, and tell anyone else who is wondering how big of a project it is to change an X clutch, it is very time consuming. Be prepared to have the truck off the road for a minimum of a day or two.
It's not too hard to do, just a pain in the arse.

#192947 - 21/06/05 05:02 PM Re: clutch change
Anonymous
Unregistered

When its time for me go have a new clutch, Ill have a new X.

#192948 - 21/06/05 07:47 PM Re: clutch change
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by FullXTR:
[QB] (BTW, oddly enough found the best price on a complete clutch kit from the DEALER, of all places...I was stunned.)

QB]
------------------------------------------------
Yeah, I find that a lot. I always check the dealer cost before I buy parts.

Moderator:  johngraves2 

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal