Glim, ChossWrangler, Patman, ChargedX, Randy Howerton
10084 Registered Users
Recent Posts
ECXC 2024!
by Tom
10/05/24 09:56 AM
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 137 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#191363 - 17/07/06 01:16 PM A/C -- reciever/drier replacement?
Anonymous
Unregistered

So I have to replace a cracked A/C high pressure line and can pick one up at the local dealer..

Called a different place about just having the air vacuumed out of the system and recharged and they are telling me it's critical to replace the receiver/dryer at the same time. Is this a mandatory part to replace?

I know it will need oil; the line cracked a while ago and I never got around to replacing it. Is there enough oil in the refrigerant or does a particular oil need to be poured into the line when I replace it?

Didn't find what I was looking for in the forums. Appreciate any input. Thanks in advance.

#191364 - 17/07/06 01:47 PM Re: A/C -- reciever/drier replacement?
OffroadX Offline

Loc: Baltimore, MD
I doubt a tiny leak would allow any significant amount of moisture to get into the system, and a quick R&R of the hose wouldn't be a problem. Hasn't been for mine anyway and I didn't even pull a vacuum on the system afterwards.
You should be fine on oil, unless you have a mess under the hood to show otherwise.

Tip: see if your question has already been answered before asking it. Try our handy-dandy search tool!

#191365 - 17/07/06 02:12 PM Re: A/C -- reciever/drier replacement?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Thanks. That's what I was hoping.

I was concerned because the line has been cracked for several months and I have no idea as to how much moisture or air can be drawn into the system over such a time. Ordinarily I would just charge it up myself, but I was thinking that due to the amount of time the system has been compromised, I'd play it safe and have it voided before recharging.

So the oil then, do you think it would be wise to add a small volume when replacing the hose to be safe? If so, is it a simple and readily available type, or a specailty oil?

Thanks for the help. Owe you a beer if you ever make it out to the West Coast.

Moderator:  johngraves2 

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal