Glim, ChossWrangler, Patman, ChargedX, Randy Howerton
10084 Registered Users
Recent Posts
ECXC 2024!
by Tom
10/05/24 09:56 AM
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 232 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#191037 - 17/10/06 06:51 PM Alternator rebuild, good option?
chupasierras Offline

Loc: Monterrey, M�xico
I´m looking to get a new stock alternator, and the alt bearings in order to rebuild the current one.

The mechanic told me that rebuild the alt isn´t a good idea. According to him, there is a drop in amperage in the rebuilt alt [Freak]

Would you advice rebuild the old guy?

Abiel
www.abielg.com

#191038 - 17/10/06 10:48 PM Re: Alternator rebuild, good option?
TJ Offline

Loc: Lawrenceville, NJ, USA
I'd go to the wrecking yard, and get one from a VG33E Quest with 125 amps instead of the measly 80 amp X one, then clean that one up.

laugh

2001 Xterra '03 VG33, SE 5 spd, 305/70/16's, Revolvers, UBSkidderz, Doubled AAL's, 3"SL/2"BL, winch/bumpers, skids, sliders, OBA, Snorkel, pine stripes....

Friends don't let friends drive stock.

http://www.gifsoup.com/view/501230/tj-tackling-crawlers-ridge-o.gif

#191039 - 17/10/06 11:15 PM Re: Alternator rebuild, good option?
Anonymous
Unregistered

FYI, the NISSAN Quest alt. will need to have the mounts shaved a little to make fit and the harness plug is slightly in a different place which makes it a little harder to get to when you need to unplug it.

#191040 - 18/10/06 06:16 PM Re: Alternator rebuild, good option?
chupasierras Offline

Yeah, I´m looking at the Quest alt as an option, but my main concern about that is the chances it could come weak or damaged, I get my parts from the States and returning them is a hassle...

So, I have seen here some stock rebuilt alts (new bearings), they perform decently?

BTW, I´m going to replace my alt because this noise, dealer said the problem is alt bearings. Today I removed the AC belt, started the truck and the noise was still there... so the AC isn´t the problem, as some have reported here in XOC...

I´m in the right track taking the alt as the main suspect?

This is the noise:

Noise sample #1

Noise sample #2

Thanks....

Abiel
www.abielg.com

#191041 - 18/10/06 07:13 PM Re: Alternator rebuild, good option?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Sounds like the standard and all-too-common Xterra alternator bearing failure to me.

You can rebuild it yourself. Takes about an hour, once you find all the parts. I was able to get the rear bearing diodes and brushes at the local NAPA. However, the only place I could find the front sealed bearing in that size was to have the dealer order it. I tried McMaster-Carr and everywhere to find that bearing.

#191042 - 19/10/06 06:19 AM Re: Alternator rebuild, good option?
chupasierras Offline

Thank you Daggerdoggie... I saw the pics of your BLUE rebuilt alt [ThumbsUp]

Now, what´s the deal with xterraparts.com? The webpage says it is a Factory Remanufactured Alternator ... Can I trust it is like a new one?

Abiel
www.abielg.com

Moderator:  johngraves2 

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal