Glim, ChossWrangler, Patman, ChargedX, Randy Howerton
10084 Registered Users
Recent Posts
ECXC 2024!
by Tom
23/04/24 04:27 PM
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 131 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#191834 - 13/12/06 02:12 PM Tips & How-To's For Changing Drive Belts?
drspencer Offline

The belts on my 2001X (with 98K miles) are starting to squeak.
Can anyone offer any how-to's or tips on changing all 3 belts?

Thanks

#191835 - 13/12/06 02:44 PM Re: Tips & How-To's For Changing Drive Belts?
Kaiser Offline

Loc: Austin, Texas
The outer two belts are tensioned with idler pulleys (adjustible pulleys that don't drive anything). They can be tightened/loosened by turning the screws/bolts behind them. Loosen the pulley to get the belt off and tighten it back up when you put 'em back on.

The smallest belt - behind the other two is the alternator belt. The alternator has a big adjustment bolt and another screw that acts like a locknut. So - you loosen the lock-screw and then loosen the bigger adjusting bolt - then you can just push the alternator in to get slack in the belt to replace it. Installation is, as they say, "the reverse of removal" wink

Have you done your timing belt? It's time to start thinking about it... if that sucker breaks your engine is toast.

Make sure you don't loop the belt over the little timing arrow that sticks off the timing belt cover and squish it like I did wink

How much to tighten them? That's always a good question. The manual gives you info on how much it should deflect when pushed in the center between pulleys with XX newtons of force... I just take a good guess (generally about 1/2 inch with a decent push on the belt) and if they squeak, tighten 'em up a little.

#191836 - 13/12/06 08:16 PM Re: Tips & How-To's For Changing Drive Belts?
Anonymous
Unregistered

What Kaiser said but both the idler pulleys for mine were "locked" by the bolt in the center of the idler pulleys. Don't forget to tighten the lock nuts and bolts when you're done.

Moderator:  johngraves2 

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal