Glim, ChossWrangler, Patman, ChargedX, Randy Howerton
10084 Registered Users
Recent Posts
ECXC 2024!
by Tom
10/05/24 09:56 AM
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 232 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#194514 - 23/02/07 07:19 PM 4WD Fluids
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hello everyone,

I just got back from the dealer for my oil change, and once again they say my 4WD fluids are dirty and need changed. Oh yeah and the timing belt, water pump, throttle body service... but anyways, the bill for changing the fluids is about $200. Is this something I can do myself? I'm not the greatest mechanic but I love to learn how to work on my car!
Thanks!!!

#194515 - 24/02/07 08:29 AM Re: 4WD Fluids
Anonymous
Unregistered

4WD fluids? That's a hell of a term there that does not describe anything.

Maybe they meant the differential fluids, t-case fluids and all that. Yes, that's very easy to do yourself.

Check out this section for more info. Maybe search around for "diff oil change" or "t-case oil change" in the search feature and it will come up with something.

#194516 - 24/02/07 09:16 PM Re: 4WD Fluids
Anonymous
Unregistered

http://www.xterraownersclub.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=24;t=001388#000006

might want to read up there, some guys can get the drain plugs with 1/2, i couldn't and had to order a hard to find tool (no parts/tool store even had an idea) Also some sort of fluid pump will be very helpful when doing the transfer case. I got some thing like a flexible straw that screws on the bottles at the auto parts store that worked but a pump would be MUCH easier.

#194517 - 24/02/07 10:35 PM Re: 4WD Fluids
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by AHTOXA:
4WD fluids? That's a hell of a term there that does not describe anything.

Maybe they meant the differential fluids, t-case fluids and all that. Yes, that's very easy to do yourself.

Check out this section for more info. Maybe search around for "diff oil change" or "t-case oil change" in the search feature and it will come up with something.
Yeah that's how vague my dealership is being. I had to ask them several times and basically stand in front of them by the service desk and tell them to write everything down, what my X needed and the costs. Last time I was in for an oil change (it's free, the only reason I go there) they simply ignored my request for everything in writing. Last year it only took 5 trips to fix an 02 sensor.

Thanks for the help!!! I'm an X newbie!!!

Moderator:  johngraves2 

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal