Glim, ChossWrangler, Patman, ChargedX, Randy Howerton
10084 Registered Users
Recent Posts
ECXC 2024!
by Tom
10/05/24 09:56 AM
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 234 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#187374 - 18/02/08 09:09 AM X does not start
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hi, yesterday I went out of the city for about 20 miles but when I tried to start the car it was dead. First I thought it was the battery, so I checked the terminals and tried to jumpstart it, but didn't work.
Stereo, headlights and power locks work fine but when I turn the key to the open position, all gauges and indicator lights don't work and when I try to start it, I don't get any spark or starter sound. It's just dead. I already checked the fuses under the hood and under the dashboard but all look ok.

Any ideas? Help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks

#187375 - 18/02/08 12:31 PM Re: X does not start
Anonymous
Unregistered

is this the original battery? I think the battery is dead.

#187376 - 18/02/08 01:38 PM Re: X does not start
Anonymous
Unregistered

No, I already changed the battery about a year ago.

#187377 - 18/02/08 01:55 PM Re: X does not start
Anonymous
Unregistered

I was testing with a lamp tester and found that the right half (last 3 columns) of the fuse box has power and the left (first 3 columns) doesn't. I'm gonna check the electric diagram to see if I can find something.

All ideas will be appreciated

#187378 - 18/02/08 02:07 PM Re: X does not start
Anonymous
Unregistered

check your ground wires.

#187379 - 19/02/08 06:06 AM Re: X does not start
Anonymous
Unregistered

Check your starter, and your connections to it.

#187380 - 19/02/08 07:53 AM Re: X does not start
Anonymous
Unregistered

That sounds like a bad starter. I had to change mine a few weeks ago cause I had the same issue.

Its an easy thing to do took about 90 minutes to do. And thats without jacking the truck up and in freezing temps.

#187381 - 19/02/08 10:29 AM Re: X does not start
Anonymous
Unregistered

I just had to do the same thing, it had a bunch of mud and water in the reduction gears and froze that way. Had to shovel out the truck to get under there to do it.

#187382 - 19/02/08 02:39 PM Re: X does not start
ChuckH Offline

Loc: Seattle, WA
But if it were the starter then his insturment guages and lights should still work when the key is on. I don't know the answr... just that it doesn't sound like the starter to me. ANd usually a starter shows signs ahead of time of upcoming failure...usually. I guess if I were going to guess on something I might say that it's a problem with the ignition switch. A friend of mine had the same exact problem with a car with the same symptoms.

#187383 - 19/02/08 02:54 PM Re: X does not start
Anonymous
Unregistered

how many volts is the battery holding? that and start checking your relays.

#187384 - 19/02/08 09:04 PM Re: X does not start
Anonymous
Unregistered

I'm sure you've checked this already, but are your battery leads completely tightened down?

A couple of times my leads came loose and absolutely no power was in the truck. No lights or nothing, my remote wouldn't even unlock the doors.

I guess just make sure they are absolutely tight and not corroded.

Moderator:  johngraves2 

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal