Glim, ChossWrangler, Patman, ChargedX, Randy Howerton
10084 Registered Users
Recent Posts
ECXC 2024!
by Tom
23/04/24 04:27 PM
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 131 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#195712 - 13/04/08 07:01 PM pulling engine
Anonymous
Unregistered

copy of PM sent to TJ. Anyone with anything to say have at it!
Hard to find people who have actually pulled engines on the forum but looks like you have. Have a few questions if I can bend your ear. Apparently I spun a rod bearing. Have decided to keep the X and rebuild (probably a Vg34E with hot cams.
Questions:
Motor mounts- did you pull with the motor mounts on the engine or totally disconnect from the frame. Drivers side a bitch to get at due to diff.

Lift attachment- chain bolted to motor mount taps in block?

Able to leave tranny in or must remove (saw your pics I think and you removed? Would like to leave in unless more difficulties (auto by the way).

I have a few more bolts to remove but will likely pull Mon night. Any suggestions you have will be more than appreciated!
peace-
todd

#195713 - 13/04/08 09:33 PM Re: pulling engine
Anonymous
Unregistered

Make sure you ask him about the health of his wife too. If you wonder why he has been on a 4 month break, that's why.

#195714 - 14/04/08 05:57 AM Re: pulling engine
Anonymous
Unregistered

I can't imagine ever swapping an engine on an X with no body lift... I think it would have taken 2 more weeks without it.

#195715 - 14/04/08 08:37 AM Re: pulling engine
Anonymous
Unregistered

We did the 4 banger in my Frontier in and out in about 7 hours.

You can unbolt the engine from the trans, but those bolts are a bugger to get to. The crank angle sensor is also on the back of the block and needs to be disconnected and moved out of the way.

Power steering and AC should be able to be removed and laid to the side without having to disconnect everything.

On the engine mounts, they're not that bad to remove. Unbolt the frame side and loosen the nuts on the block. That should give it enough wiggle room to lift the motor out.

Also, pull the radiator and shroud...that gives you the room you need to pull the engine forward and then up and out.

What a great time to replace that 6th spark plug smile

#195716 - 15/04/08 03:04 AM Re: pulling engine
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by morepower:
copy of PM sent to TJ.
todd
did you get a response haven't seen him on lately

Moderator:  johngraves2 

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal