Glim, ChossWrangler, Patman, ChargedX, Randy Howerton
10084 Registered Users
Recent Posts
ECXC 2024!
by Tom
23/04/24 04:27 PM
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 103 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#193672 - 13/02/02 05:28 PM Adjusting Headlight Aim
Gold Rush Offline

Loc: Franklin, NH
Who knows how to adjust the headlights on the 2002's? I have looked briefly and don't see any typical screws to adjust the aim. I seem to get a lot of people flashing me the high beams. I think my headlights are aimed too high. Even when following someone with my low beams on the backs of their seats are illuminated. Where are the adjustment screws, or aren't there any? eek

#193673 - 13/02/02 06:28 PM Re: Adjusting Headlight Aim
panhandleX Offline

Loc: Panama City, FL
I had the same problem. The adjusters are the gray discs w/ the notches in them. They are located near the body panel. So if you opened your hood they would be almost over top of the turn signal, just back a bit. Put a phillips head screwdriver in there and crank it to the right. That will lower then for you. Hope this helps.

#193674 - 13/02/02 07:01 PM Re: Adjusting Headlight Aim
JayzX Offline

Loc: Sigonella, Sicily, Italy
I found the following info for the 2001. Link

I know the 2002 has a different headlight, but maybe the procedures are the samee. Worth a look until someone posts more info.

"What are you gonna make me do? Wack a guy? Off a guy? Wack-off a guy? Cuz I'm married!" - Peter (The Family Guy)

#193675 - 13/02/02 07:21 PM Re: Adjusting Headlight Aim
Gold Rush Offline

Thanks panhandleX. I will take a closer look tomorrow. Once I find the adjusters, aiming them will be a piece of cake.

#193676 - 16/02/02 06:06 AM Re: Adjusting Headlight Aim
Gold Rush Offline

The headlight adjusters on the 2002's are in fact the gray discs. But to adjust them you have to use a tiny 8mm wrench and turn the nut clockwise to lower lights and counter clockwise to raise lights. eek eek

#193677 - 16/02/02 06:25 AM Re: Adjusting Headlight Aim
LOCHS 2 Offline

Is there a standard distance from the front of the X when viewing from the drivers seat for which the visible light first hits the street? I notice a gap of about 3-4 feet between where the fog light ends on the pavement and the headlights begin. Although, in reference to the original post in this thread my X does NOT shine the backs of seats or heads at stop lights. The top cutoff of headlights appears just below the rear windshield of a typical Accord or Camry when I'm within 6 feet of them. I notice the left one is an inch or so lower than the right one. Is this a factory setting as a means to not shine as high into oncoming traffic and have a better view of signs and stuff on the right shoulder?

I have yet to be flashed once from oncoming traffic who may think my brights are on.

I'm guessing that over time--if the rear end tends to sag like a 4runner I will have to adjust the lights downward. Some European BMW's have headlights that are easily adjustable from positions 0 to 4. They recommend you adjust them if you have rear passengers and lots of luggage in the trunk, for example.

I guess it's a safety issue? Adjust them to your liking for best road view?

#193678 - 16/02/02 08:30 AM Re: Adjusting Headlight Aim
CRASH Offline

Loc: SC- Fort Mill
I had to adjust mine. I was getting pissed at how often I would get flashed.

It did seem to better distribute the light coverage between the driving lights and the headlights.... and people don't flash anymore.

#193679 - 20/02/02 03:39 PM Re: Adjusting Headlight Aim
wongdog Offline

Loc: Pasadena, CA
I'm new to the board, but I stumbled upon the XOC because I needed help with my headlights. Just like you guys, people have been flashing me for a month straight and I couldn't figure out whether the aim was high or the lights were too bright. Adjusted both of them yesterday, and they look good and aim low. Thanks for the advice

#193680 - 27/04/03 06:36 PM Re: Adjusting Headlight Aim
03SYXPilot Offline

Loc: DE
I too had the headlamps too high. What is up with that??? The silver (or grey) toothed adjuster knob does not require a tiny 8mm wrench. You use a philips head screwdriver and stick it in the plastic guide that Nissan put on the lamp housing. I put a mark on the adjuster and on the paint so that if I messed it up, I could turn it back to stock. I turned it 1/4 turn, and hope that was enough to drop the beam a bit. I turned it clockwise as someone had suggested, but unsure if it worked yet.

Now proud owner of a '05 Mazda 3 HB!!

#193681 - 27/04/03 07:58 PM Re: Adjusting Headlight Aim
Miikkaa Offline

Loc: Central New Jersey, United Sta...
Hey Eric,

I'm not sure what kind of adjuster was used pre-2002 but the Philips head is correct for our round headlights. I adjusted mine as the sun was setting, with the headlights on and facing the garage door as a horizontal reference. Also, it took many turns of the screwdriver to drop the aim due to the ratio of the adjusting mechanism. I also saved this illustration that was previously posted by Ian on final adjustment. Hope this helps man.

Quote:
Originally posted by 03SYXPilot:
I too had the headlamps too high. What is up with that??? The silver (or grey) toothed adjuster knob does not require a tiny 8mm wrench. You use a philips head screwdriver and stick it in the plastic guide that Nissan put on the lamp housing. I put a mark on the adjuster and on the paint so that if I messed it up, I could turn it back to stock. I turned it 1/4 turn, and hope that was enough to drop the beam a bit. I turned it clockwise as someone had suggested, but unsure if it worked yet.

Michael AKA Miikkaa

Earth people suck.

#193682 - 28/04/03 06:48 PM Re: Adjusting Headlight Aim
03SYXPilot Offline

Loc: DE
Thanks Miikkaa!! I tested out the lamps and before reading your comment, found that I was turning the wrong way. No big woop tho, cause I found out that as I was adjusting, it did take many, many turns of the screwdriver to get them to drop. It is the screwdriver that you turn clockwise, not the adjuster. I dropped them wuite a bit...took it for a roadtest and they were too low...so I upped them a bit and seems to be OK now. I guess the test will be how many high beams I get. I have a set of PIAA Ion Crystal driving lamps that are only 55 watts, but MAN do they light up the road!!! I'm hoping I don't get a lot of beams with those.
Thanks for the diagram.

Now proud owner of a '05 Mazda 3 HB!!

Moderator:  johngraves2 

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal