2002 Door Opening Trim
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:32 PM
XOC Still Lives
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:31 PM
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 110 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#193773 - 12/07/03 04:42 AM Throttle body needs cleaning???
Icedog00 Offline

Loc: Moore, SC
I just wondered if anyone else has had this problem? When I go to step on the gas pedal it is stuck, I have to step hard on it to make it "release". It does not stick when it is pressed to the floor, but when it is in the up position? I had this problem once before at about 30k miles. The Nissan dealer said the throttle body needed cleaning, this did fix the problem at the time. But they did charge me $40 bucks to do it! Now I am at 95,000 miles and need to have it done again. Is this something that I can do myself? If so, what do I need to do? Thanks for any help.

#193774 - 12/07/03 09:48 AM Re: Throttle body needs cleaning???
ChuckH Offline

Loc: Seattle, WA
Look what I found!

THrottle Body Cleaning

It's very easy.

#193775 - 12/07/03 01:38 PM Re: Throttle body needs cleaning???
RI Xterra Offline

Loc: Rhode Island
Quote:
Originally posted by ChuckH:
Look what I found!

THrottle Body Cleaning

It's very easy.
I've done it plenty of times on prior vehicles that I've owned and it really is as simple as it's written on that page... wink

#193776 - 13/07/03 04:38 AM Re: Throttle body needs cleaning???
Icedog00 Offline

Loc: Moore, SC
Thanks for the help guys! I will run out to the auto store today and get some cleaner and try it out.

#193777 - 24/09/03 08:49 PM Re: Throttle body needs cleaning???
x-lover Offline

Loc: Fredericksburg, VA.
I cleaned the throttle body when my dealer wanted $220 to fix a rough idle, this was one of the things they said they would do. But now whenever I apply or let off of the gas quickly the X jerks violently and the tranny sounds like it is going to fall off. I looked in the haines manual and it says never to use cleaner on the body because is is coated with a anti-stick something at the manufacturer.
Anyone know of a grease or something that could be applied because I think that the problem is that it sticks even though I cleaned the carbon off?

#193778 - 25/09/03 08:23 PM Re: Throttle body needs cleaning???
Kerensky97 Offline

Loc: Utah
Don't know what to tell you X-lover, I've used cleaner on my Throttle Body and never had that problem. I don't know what could be casuing the engine to shudder when you let off the gas.

You could try reving the engine (while it's in park) by turning the throttle cam by hand and letting go to see what happens. It could be a slight timing problem that's causing a misfire when you slam the throttle shut.

Xterra101.com

#193779 - 26/09/03 12:56 AM Re: Throttle body needs cleaning???
ChuckH Offline

Loc: Seattle, WA
Quote:
Originally posted by x-lover:
I cleaned the throttle body when my dealer wanted $220 to fix a rough idle, this was one of the things they said they would do. But now whenever I apply or let off of the gas quickly the X jerks violently and the tranny sounds like it is going to fall off. I looked in the haines manual and it says never to use cleaner on the body because is is coated with a anti-stick something at the manufacturer.
Anyone know of a grease or something that could be applied because I think that the problem is that it sticks even though I cleaned the carbon off?
I have the same problem, but it started before I cleaned my TB and it kinda comes and goes. Seems more like an electronic problem to me, like the fuel metering is too abrupt or such? I was thinking it may be related to the oxygen sensors not performing at 100%.

Moderator:  johngraves2 

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal