Glim, ChossWrangler, Patman, ChargedX, Randy Howerton
10084 Registered Users
Recent Posts
ECXC 2024!
by Tom
23/04/24 04:27 PM
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 131 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#236612 - 30/11/02 07:12 PM Xterra winching Ford Explorer
Xterrian Offline

Loc: Fort Lewis, WA
On the way back from Joshua Tree National Park we passed an Explorer on the side of the road. Since I was last in line, I did a u turn to see if they were OK. Apparently the young lady driving the 4X2 Ford felt that having an SUV meant that she could drive in deep sand through a wash and had gotten stuck turning around. I offered my help and she accepted. I was threading a tow strap through her frame when the rest of the gang pulled up. Somebody mentioned the term "Exploder" and my cover was blown. She quickly figured out that I was eager to winch her truck out mainly for the photo op. I suddenly felt she was a lot smarter than her situation indicated. We later discovered that she had her parking brake on while I was winching her. Maybe she is related to Ivan somehow. Anyway, here is the picture:

Before anyone complains about the lack of a weight or towel on the line, my wife pointed it out at the time, but the amount of cable out of the winch was so small that I skipped it. I did make sure that no one was in the line of fire if it let loose though. I even had the wife duck under the dash when I had the load on. Thanks for the picture Xtoolbox.

#236613 - 30/11/02 09:05 PM Re: Xterra winching Ford Explorer
XOC Offline
Admin

Loc: Minneapolis, MN
Why not just pull her out with a strap ? 2 minute job.

#236614 - 30/11/02 09:42 PM Re: Xterra winching Ford Explorer
Xterrian Offline

Xtoolbox pointed out that it would have been much easier to winch her backwards, but I just wanted the Xterra to pull the Ford through the obstacle that it couldn't get through on its own. As far as pulling her with a strap, it was soft sand all the way to the road. It would have been a bit embarrasing to hook up a strap and then dig my truck into a stuck position as well. Besides, some of us use our aftermarket bumpers as more than just beer openers and have winches. laugh Why not use it?

#236615 - 01/12/02 05:24 PM Re: Xterra winching Ford Explorer
X-Fire Offline

Loc: Jacksonville, Florida
Aren't you a little young to be "old school"? [LOL]

#236616 - 01/12/02 08:01 PM Re: Xterra winching Ford Explorer
Xterrian Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Xterrian:
Before anyone complains about the lack of a weight or towel on the line, my wife pointed it out at the time, but the amount of cable out of the winch was so small that I skipped it. I did make sure that no one was in the line of fire if it let loose though. I even had the wife duck under the dash when I had the load on.
Not three posts later:

Quote:
Originally posted by mmutk:
Doesn nobody put a blanket over the straps and ropes for safety anymore? Maybe I am just old school.
I thought I explained it, but I guess I didn't. [Freak]

#236617 - 01/12/02 08:57 PM Re: Xterra winching Ford Explorer
mmUTK Offline

Loc: Knoxville, Tn
I guess I need to start reading the posts too laugh

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal