2002 Door Opening Trim
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:32 PM
XOC Still Lives
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:31 PM
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 139 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#240346 - 04/11/03 07:29 AM First mod! 2 offroad lights
Kaiser Offline

Loc: Austin, Texas

I thought that second one turned out kinda cool. I had the extended night shot on and I think it got overpowered.

#240347 - 04/11/03 07:59 AM Re: First mod! 2 offroad lights
surfingteacher Offline

Loc: Richardson
Looks great. [ThumbsUp] ANy reason you went with two, instead of 4, like most people? Now that you know how to do it, you can help me whenever I get mine. When does the bumper come in? Let me know if you need some extra hands on the install. you planning on putting some lights on the bumper, too?

Oh yeah, what lights did you go with?
TNT #14
SWXC #95
I wish I could think of something clever to put here.
Cardomain

#240348 - 04/11/03 08:38 AM Re: First mod! 2 offroad lights
Anonymous
Unregistered

Yeah...What lights did you go with? I am still trying to figure out which ones I want to use. I'm looking at the Piaa 520 Series At the same time, I am also looking at the low profile oval lights as well to be a bit different, and keep the height of the truck reasonable so I can park it in parking garages in Chicago.

Any suggestions?

#240349 - 04/11/03 08:38 AM Re: First mod! 2 offroad lights
Kaiser Offline

Loc: Austin, Texas
Quote:
Originally posted by surfingteacher:
Looks great. [ThumbsUp] ANy reason you went with two, instead of 4, like most people? Now that you know how to do it, you can help me whenever I get mine. When does the bumper come in? Let me know if you need some extra hands on the install. you planning on putting some lights on the bumper, too?

Oh yeah, what lights did you go with?
I don't know... I'm kinda gun shy about mentioning manufacturers after getting bitch slapped on AC for trying to tell Herk what brand of bumper I bought.

The bracket, wiring, switch etc. are already in place for two more. All it will take is purchasing the lights, a relay, and about an hour of hooking up.

I bought the cheapie Blazer ones from Auto Zone - 100W 6" round. The kit was $50, but I used better wire, different switches, a relay etc. I ended up spending maybe $90 for everything - angle aluminum (bracket) and a whole lot of dremel cutoff wheels included.

They really are awesome - the beam jiggles around a lot while driving - it stays pointed at the same spot, it just bounces around [gravel road out in the country... I'm not driving around Plano with 'em on]... the only thing I've noticed so far that the more expensive lights might be better at. But I look at it this way, when I'm done I will have spent maybe $150 for 4 complete lights installed. What would I have spent on PIAAs? $650 to $700.

I have no idea when to expect the bumper... the folks at Xterraparts and Calmini aren't very friendly when I call so I'm trying not to bug them. I just hope that it comes in before the 22nd.

I would like some help putting it on when/if it arrives... thanks for the offer. PM me your number if you don't mind.

I'd be happy to help you with a light setup... I learned a couple of things doing mine. It, like ALL projects, ends up taking much longer than expected, but really isn't too difficult.

Oh, and I don't currently plan to put any lights on the bumper... I think I've got enough... though some backup lights would be good. I wonder if it would be useful to turn one or two of the lights around to see behind me - or if the shadow created by the back of the truck would be too big.

#240350 - 04/11/03 12:29 PM Re: First mod! 2 offroad lights
surfingteacher Offline

Loc: Richardson
There is no rule here about mentioning manufacturers. That's just AC, cuz they sell stuff.

Sent you PM.
TNT #14
SWXC #95
I wish I could think of something clever to put here.
Cardomain

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal