Glim, ChossWrangler, Patman, ChargedX, Randy Howerton
10084 Registered Users
Recent Posts
ECXC 2024!
by Tom
10/05/24 09:56 AM
Shout Box

Who's Online
1 registered (Tom), 90 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#269242 - 05/12/01 05:14 PM do i have a problem?
philip Offline

hey guys i recently purchased the rancho add a leafs and had them installed by 4x4 wholesales(dont know if u are familiar with them) they cranked up my torsion bars all the way to even out the ride. I will post pictures soon it looks great but what problems will I run into with the xtremely high torsion bars. I have no idea what it might do. Also, can i but rancho torsion bars and it wont cause any damage> how much do they cost.

Maximus Orealeas

#269243 - 05/12/01 05:45 PM Re: do i have a problem?
Matt Peckham Offline

Loc: Charlotte, NC
sounds like you need to think about what they did and answer the question yourself. If they cranked the torsion bars all the way up, then what percentage of your travel is up travel and what percentage is downtravel?

I'll help you out.

You probably have about 5-10% as downtravel (wheel droop)
and 95% as uptravel (stuffing the wheel in the wheelwell)

This will basically make your ride ok until you rebound from a bump in the road, or hit a bump on a sharp corner.

Ill advised to stay in this set up.

Matt

#269244 - 05/12/01 05:51 PM Re: do i have a problem?
socalpunx Offline

Loc: The land of losers and liberal...
Quote:
Originally posted by philip:
Also, can i but rancho torsion bars and it wont cause any damage> how much do they cost.

Changing torsion bars will change the ride but you still can't crank them all the way without sacrificing most downward travel. If you do add atermarket t-bars go with the sway-a-way at 200 dollars. You need to look into a proper lift kit, A-arms ect.to give you upward as well as downward travel. You seem to be hung up on Rancho and they just introduced a new lift for the X at SEMA .

Check out www.gorancho.com
There are other options such as SLR , Fabtech, AC and Climini. But you aren't doing yourself any favors keeping it the way it is.

#269245 - 05/12/01 06:15 PM Re: do i have a problem?
Matt Peckham Offline

Climini?

Climini Clicket!

#269246 - 05/12/01 09:13 PM Re: do i have a problem?
Saline Offline

Loc: Fruita , CO
Thanks Matt!! I just sprayed my drink all over the screen!LOL! laugh

#269247 - 06/12/01 06:09 AM Re: do i have a problem?
Tom G Offline

Loc: AZ
Quote:
Ill advised to stay in this set up.

Then what would you recommend? NOT cranking the torsion bars all the way (is it necessary to crank all the way for a level look?), or buy new ones?

#269248 - 06/12/01 06:38 AM Re: do i have a problem?
stormy Offline

Loc: NH
Quote:
Originally posted by LUV2-4x4:

Then what would you recommend? NOT cranking the torsion bars all the way (is it necessary to crank all the way for a level look?), or buy new ones?

First, I don't understand what you guys mean by all the way? Do you mean so the upper a-arm is touching the bump stop? If this is the case, then every bump you go over your front tires are going to leave the ground. This would be very unsafe. That is why they sell new upper a-arms in the 3" lift kits.

2nd. You don't gain any height by getting stiffer torsion bars.

[ 12-06-2001: Message edited by: stormy ]

#269249 - 06/12/01 07:25 AM Re: do i have a problem?
Matt Peckham Offline

the AALs give you almost 3 inches of lift. There really isn't any safe way to level out the front for free. I would suggest splitting the difference. Lower the front height about 1-1.5" from the "top". It'll never be perfect, but it's a lot safer and better on your truck.

It looks pretty cool being jacked up in the back anyway.

Matt

#269250 - 06/12/01 08:10 AM Re: do i have a problem?
Tom G Offline

Loc: AZ
out of curiousty and half-seriousness, what's a good way to level out the front not-for-free? you can start and the cheapest, and work your way up... wink

#269251 - 06/12/01 09:04 AM Re: do i have a problem?
stormy Offline

Loc: NH
Quote:
Originally posted by LUV2-4x4:
out of curiousty and half-seriousness, what's a good way to level out the front not-for-free? you can start and the cheapest, and work your way up... wink

As far as I know, A/C is the only company willing to sell the upper A-Arms and ball joints seprate from the whole lift. That's the only not-for-free method and is the correct way to do it. Cranking the t-bars w/o installing the a-arms \ball joints is for looks only, not function.
Quote:
they cranked up my torsion bars all the way to even out the ride

Pip,
What do you mean by all the way?

#269252 - 06/12/01 05:20 PM Re: do i have a problem?
philip Offline

thanks guys, I will narrow down the question a little bit. What i wanna know is what will the cranked up all the way torsion bars do to my car in the long run... I dont want that to have a negative affect on the car over time just wondering
thanks guys.
philip

Maximus Orealeas

#269253 - 06/12/01 07:29 PM Re: do i have a problem?
Ag_xterra Offline

Loc: San Antonio, TX
soon your xterra will have 4-Runneritis. with the rear sagging more than the front because if you did crank up your torsion bars all the way up to match the rear then once the rear AAL's start to settle/sag down to normal height your truck will look funny. i'd recommend bringing your torsion bars back down about an inch or so and wait to see what happens in the rear after a few weeks of driving.

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal