2002 Door Opening Trim
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:32 PM
XOC Still Lives
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:31 PM
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 134 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#265138 - 25/08/02 06:21 PM New Lift on, one question.
tlcafj60 Offline

Loc: Framingham, MA
After getting Boarderphreak's shackles in the mail on Friday, I spent a few hours on Saturday putting them on. It was my first set of shackles I ever installed as well as my first torsion bar tweak ever.
I like to learn new stuff, as all of the other suspension lifts I have done is with springs on all four corners. Nothing went too terribly wrong except for the 1" long gash I got on my knuckle from the passenger side heat shield and this one issue I had with the driver's side torsion bar.

I loosened the driver's side torsion bar lock nut, and then for some reason loosened the larger nut as well. It was the first side I did and ended up lowering the drivers side before realizing what I had done. I then tightened up and raised the drivers side what only ended up being an inch but the adjuster arm went way up into the crossmember.

I went to the passenger side, loosened only the lock nut and then tightened up the passenger side about an inch as well. The adjuster arm only went up a little bit.

After looking at the front I could see that the passenger side tire had toed in but the driver's side stayed flat.

Did I screw something up with the driver's side torsion bar? I cranked the hell out of it and it only went up an inch with no toeing in.

Is this normal, or did I screw something up by breaking loose the larger (taller) nut below the lock nut on the driver's side? I was thinking about maybe getting under there tomorrow after work and tightening up the tall nut on the driver's side to see if that makes a difference.
Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance,
Rob

BTW- Mike, the shackles went on great! I had to "coerce" the poly bushings in and do a bit of grinding on the spring bushing insert, but it looks great and I havent had any problems with them.

#265139 - 25/08/02 08:24 PM Re: New Lift on, one question.
dandingo Offline

Rob-

I had the same problem when I first adjusted my torsion bars. The locking nut must be secure when you try to turn the adjuster bolt or it will not change the load on the torsion bar. I just wedged a 19mm wrench up there on the locking nut while I turned the adjuster bolt with a breaker bar.

I also had an unfortunate incident with the passenger side heat shield. I must have eaten too many retard sandwiches that day. [Freak]

#265140 - 26/08/02 06:07 AM Re: New Lift on, one question.
tlcafj60 Offline

Loc: Framingham, MA
HAHAHAHA! I GOT CUT IN THE EXACT SAME SPOT!! It went right through the skin and connective tissue. I could see what looked like the tendon under the knuckle skin. I was wondering if I needed stitches, but it was only an inch long. Yours looks like its about twice as long as mine and a lot more painful.
I found a new type of BandAid that kicks ass. Its called "Advanced Healilng Finger Care" . I just pushed the skin together after irrgatiing with peroxide for a few minutes, put this heat moldable bandage on it, and everyting is back to normal. If anyone busts a knuckle open or gets a good gash, this is the best thing I have ever used.

The lower nut did spin a little, but then I put the 19mm on to keep it from moving like you had said. I think I will go back and try to fix it tonight. Im really happy with the torsion bars cranked too, it seems that the nose doesnt dive into dips in the road anymore.

Thanks!
Rob

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal