Glim, ChossWrangler, Patman, ChargedX, Randy Howerton
10084 Registered Users
Recent Posts
ECXC 2024!
by Tom
23/04/24 04:27 PM
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 131 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#278805 - 10/01/04 01:00 PM a little confused
Anonymous
Unregistered

Long time reader, first time poster here. I've seen many (actually just a couple) of posts on here regarding 265/75/16 size tires. I'm currently running the stock Grabbers...and I definately want to get rid of those as fast as possible (they suck in the snow). My b-day is coming up w/in the next month and I was gonna buy myself some tires...the aformentioned size. Just to make all things clear: they will fit w/o problems w/o trimming or lift, right? PLUS the spare will fit underneath my truck, right?...I don't have a hitch....but was planning on getting the Nissan one in a couple months? I've seen conflicting posts saying that they would fit w/ the hitch. I have an '03 X...is it different from '02 to '03...I wouldn't see why it would be?

I know you guys like to say "search" I did. I just want the cold hard truth, saying whether I can put those tires on w/o a problem (BFG A/T KO's) or not.

#278806 - 10/01/04 02:05 PM Re: a little confused
Anonymous
Unregistered

This has been covered, but here you are anyway. I have 265/75R16 BFG AT/KO's on my 01.

They will fit without problems.

They may or may not fit without trimming. 00-01 requires some minor plastic trimming (super easy and no big deal) - I'll post a pic later if you want. Some with 02/03 run this size with no trimming, some require extremely minor trimming - no big deal - a dremel or coping saw or leatherman saw will do the trick.

They will fit without a lift. You will rub at full compression up front, but only against the inside fender wells, which creates no problem. You will also rub on the back passenger wheel well on the plastic fuel line cover, which also creates no problem. This will mostly occur offroad when stuffing the suspension.

Without a hitch this size tire will fit underneath, with a Nissan hitch some make it fit and some don't.

The "problems" that you will run into with this size are very minor and very much worth it for the benefits provided by the tire.

All of what I just typed could easily have been found with a search.

#278807 - 10/01/04 02:45 PM Re: a little confused
Anonymous
Unregistered

so is it completely out of the question to run chains w/ these tires w/o a lift?

btw...thanks for your input.

#278808 - 10/01/04 02:54 PM Re: a little confused
Anonymous
Unregistered

I doubt you could run chains very well with that size. I have a T-bar crank and calmini shackles in the back and I don't think chains would clear on mine, and they certainly wouldn't clear if they were the heavy version. I suppose tight fitting and light-weight chains or the cable version would fit, but even that would be close when turning the wheels and moving.

If you think you are going to run chains a lot 265/70R16 may be a better fit for you.

#278809 - 10/01/04 08:34 PM Re: a little confused
Anonymous
Unregistered

I have the stock Grabbers, same size. They will rub on the fronts during a full turn with the least little bump. I'm going to the same size BFGs as you're talking about and I'm wondering just how much I'll have to cut ... maybe I just need to pull the bumper out a bit ...

#278810 - 10/01/04 11:08 PM Re: a little confused
Anonymous
Unregistered

I put the BFG A/T KO's on my 03 without any trimming. Though I noticed that when backing up and turning while going uphill, I had some minor rubbing, this was corrected with a pocket knife. (The rubbing was on the mudflap, (which has to go! Waiting on $$ for sliders before I lose 'em) So you should not have any issues with your X, if so, it would be so minor that it wouldn't make any difference.

With regard to the spare, I'm not sure. I checked mine the other day, and I just don't believe it will fit. Of course, what do I need to spend another $150 on a spare tire when I have one that will work, (not to mention the other new crappers that came off of it to begin with.) As far as the size difference goes, I do not plan on going very far on it, and besides, a lot of vehicles today have temp spares that are not the same size as orignal equipment anyway.

The way I look at it, I'll buy a matching spare when I mount the tire on the back (looking forward to the rear bumper kit with tire mount in the future)

#278811 - 10/01/04 11:44 PM Re: a little confused
2002ShockBlue Offline

Loc: Eielson AFB, Alaska
I have a stock nissan hitch and 265/75/16 spare tire. you just have to slowly raise it up and stick it over the sway bar and then raise the front up. worked for me. smile

#278812 - 11/01/04 01:07 PM Re: a little confused
Anonymous
Unregistered

Ok, I've decided these tires are the way I'm going to go. My X is my daily driver. My commute to work is only <1 mi...however I put 20000 miles a year on my vehicle....it comes from going back and forth from Morgantown WV to Harrisonburg VA to visit my girlfriend at WVU every other weekend. There is nasty weather in the winter taking 33W/E near Elkins all the time. I only "occasionally" go offroading. These tires won't wear down fast will they?...I'm looking to get a couple years out of 'em. I mostly do pavement driving. I hope they live up to my expectations of them for off highway use.

#278813 - 11/01/04 01:28 PM Re: a little confused
Anonymous
Unregistered

I've only got 4,000 or so on my KO's, so I don't have any personal experience with treadwear. From what I understand, however, you should be able to get 60-70,000 miles out of them. Just make sure you rotate them a lot and keep the alignment in spec. When you get back from the tire shop check the pressure, because they tend to set it too high (mine were at 40psi). I'm running mine now at about 32psi.

Great choice, btw, I'm sure you'll have no regrets. In my opinion these are the best AT tires available by a long shot (just my opinion). Mine have been great both on and off the road.

#278814 - 11/01/04 04:03 PM Re: a little confused
Anonymous
Unregistered

The most I've gotten out of a set of BFG A/T KO's is 42k. That included just about every driving scenario over about a 2 1/2 year period before I got rid of the vehicle. I've had three sets of BFG A/T's, 1 original, 2 new generation, and have absolutely no complaints.

#278815 - 11/01/04 04:50 PM Re: a little confused
Anonymous
Unregistered

Is the tire's offroading capablility significantly compromised when they get up to about 35-40K on them?

#278816 - 11/01/04 04:58 PM Re: a little confused
Anonymous
Unregistered

My tires still had at least 45% left on them at 42k. It does have some effect on them, there is no doubt about that, but for the most part, they still went well off-road.

#278817 - 11/01/04 08:35 PM Re: a little confused
OffroadX Offline

Loc: Baltimore, MD
I retired my 32x11.50s w/ about 65K on them, still had 5-6/32nds of tread on them and were doing the job well enough off-road. The only reason I retired them at that point is because I didn't want to run them during the winter that way. I'm on my second set now and I expect another 60,000+ miles from them.
However, I was greeted this morning with my LR one completely flat after sitting overnight in single-digit temps. I aired it back up late this afternoon and heard no leak, we'll see if it held up through the night...

Brent

Tip: see if your question has already been answered before asking it. Try our handy-dandy search tool!

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal