Glim, ChossWrangler, Patman, ChargedX, Randy Howerton
10084 Registered Users
Recent Posts
ECXC 2024!
by Tom
23/04/24 04:27 PM
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 131 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#262881 - 19/12/04 05:50 PM BFG's vs. Super Swamper Radial SSR
Anonymous
Unregistered

i searched for Super Swampers,and none of the topics existed, so screw you if you are upset that this is a repost. but i was wondering which is better between the 2...and why..i mean ive read on here a lot about the BFG AT KO's and they sound great, but how are the Super Swamper SSR's working out? and even better...if someone has them on their X, could they plz post a pic of them, im also wondering how they look on an xterra.

#262882 - 19/12/04 07:05 PM Re: BFG's vs. Super Swamper Radial SSR
TJ Offline

Loc: Lawrenceville, NJ, USA
One is better off road, one is better on road.

The best choice comes down to what compromises you are willing to make.

The swampers last about 20K on a daily driver...the BFG AT ko's tend to go more like 50-60K.

The swampers are great in mud and rocks...work well in deep snow, and skid all over the place on wet roads or packed snow, etc.

The BFG's pack up in thick mud, and require alot of wheel spin to clean, but work great off road except for that.

The swampers are more puncture resistant than the BFG's.

The BFG's handle well on road, and can handle wet roads, packed snow, etc.

On road, the swampers are squirrely.

That's all I have time to rattle off now.

Good Luck!

laugh

2001 Xterra '03 VG33, SE 5 spd, 305/70/16's, Revolvers, UBSkidderz, Doubled AAL's, 3"SL/2"BL, winch/bumpers, skids, sliders, OBA, Snorkel, pine stripes....

Friends don't let friends drive stock.

http://www.gifsoup.com/view/501230/tj-tackling-crawlers-ridge-o.gif

#262883 - 19/12/04 07:44 PM Re: BFG's vs. Super Swamper Radial SSR
Anonymous
Unregistered

hmm...they suck on the road?...dont they have siping though..i dont know...i suppose tread wear doesnt really matter...i just gotta tame myself from doing cookies on dry pavement...but thanks for the input, its just that i want a really agressive tread design...i dont know, ill keep looking, i suppose i wont be satisfied with whatever choice i make.

#262884 - 19/12/04 08:16 PM Re: BFG's vs. Super Swamper Radial SSR
Anonymous
Unregistered

what about bf muds????

#262885 - 19/12/04 08:23 PM Re: BFG's vs. Super Swamper Radial SSR
Anonymous
Unregistered

There isn't anyway I was pay $200 for a tire (SSR) that would only last 20K miles, no matter how good they are offroad.

#262886 - 20/12/04 12:53 PM Re: BFG's vs. Super Swamper Radial SSR
Anonymous
Unregistered

Not $200 for a 15" rim [Laughing] . Get the BFG MT's and sipe 'em.

#262887 - 21/12/04 12:18 AM Re: BFG's vs. Super Swamper Radial SSR
Anonymous
Unregistered

just get bf muds and go easy on the throttle and slow down...no need to try to race the soccer mom in her expedition or the $70k suv going 70mph in the snow...just let the dumbasses end up in the ditch that way you can be on your way without anybody in front of you

some people just don't understand the word "snow&Ice covered roads"...the posted limit is 40, but decides to go 65 because no Highway Patrol is nearby/the radar detector doesn't go beep.....all while talking on the phone [Freak]

#262888 - 21/12/04 06:01 AM Re: BFG's vs. Super Swamper Radial SSR
TJ Offline

Loc: Lawrenceville, NJ, USA
The most important question to answer is what do you need the tires to do?

You are asking about an AT vs a MT...its really apples and oranges, like asking which car is better, a Nissan Quest or a Toyota Echo....

One is better if you have 5 kids, one is better if you have a long commute and are single, etc.

If you are heavily into MUD, don't get an AT, you will be dissapointed.

If you are mostly driving highways at speed/long enough distances on roads, and hit trails on weekends, dirt/rocks, some mud...then AT's make sense.

MT's work best in mud, and are poor at every thing else...compared to tires designed for every thing else.

The question you must consider is how important is mud traction, and are you willing to sacrifice on road capability to get it?

If going slow and careful (More slowly and carefully than you would other wise go) on road is an acceptable compromise (A Reasonable Approach, one would think...), then MT's may work for you.

If you are a dirt/rock guy...and want on road capabilities...AT's can be better, if you want to preserve some on road capability.

AT's are a compromise too, a dedicated highway tire will out handle an AT, just like the AT out handles the MT.

Siping an MT can improve its wet weather and slick condition traction, but not the squirrelly handling (Big tread blocks have little contact patches and can squirm around because they don't interlock with adjacent tread blocks, etc.)

Also - There are tires other than the BFG AT ko and Super Swamper SSR's...like the BFG MT's, GY MTR's, Firestone Destination MT's, Bridgestone REVO AT's, etc....that might also be worth a look at.

Think about your priorities, and pick accordingly.

laugh

2001 Xterra '03 VG33, SE 5 spd, 305/70/16's, Revolvers, UBSkidderz, Doubled AAL's, 3"SL/2"BL, winch/bumpers, skids, sliders, OBA, Snorkel, pine stripes....

Friends don't let friends drive stock.

http://www.gifsoup.com/view/501230/tj-tackling-crawlers-ridge-o.gif

#262889 - 21/12/04 07:46 AM Re: BFG's vs. Super Swamper Radial SSR
Anonymous
Unregistered

There isn't that much mud around Bend. I wouldn't expect swampers or MT's to be too much fun on the way up to Bachelor. You won't be let down with the AT's. Keep in mind, most of the people on this board hit lots more mud than we get in the high desert.

#262890 - 21/12/04 04:05 PM Re: BFG's vs. Super Swamper Radial SSR
Anonymous
Unregistered

Sounds like no one here knows much about Swampers. Most that has been said about its abilities is true.

It is a very capable off-road tire that has made certain off-road compromises to be a better on-road tire.

It was siped for better wet and snow traction, the tread pattern was tightened up for less noise and the rubber was harder for better longevity.

This tire WILL last more than 40K miles on an SUV like the X. I know from personal experience that these tires will last 30K miles on a 3/4 ton pickup.

If you're looking for an OFF-road tire that you can use on the highway, get the SSR.

If you want an ON-road tire that will perform decently off-road than you should consider the BFG or the Goodyear MT/R. I would choose the latter.

#262891 - 21/12/04 07:24 PM Re: BFG's vs. Super Swamper Radial SSR
Anonymous
Unregistered

thanks TJ, yeah after actually looking at the price of the SSR's...i decided to slap myself and move on from those. so i guess ill go with what seems to be, the tire of choice in here..BFG AT's.

and Clifton...that is so true. high desert blows, but there is some places out in China hat that there is more to do than going mudding. although...going out to Coyote Butte after it has rained in town, is heaven.

#262892 - 21/12/04 08:02 PM Re: BFG's vs. Super Swamper Radial SSR
Anonymous
Unregistered

If you're really looking for great offroad, and decent onroad performance, go for the Goodyear MT/R's. They are a good bit better than the BFG A/T offroad (the MT/R is a true offroading tire), but they still retain decent pavement driving when need be.

Personally, I've had the BFG A/Ts, and now the M/Ts on my truck. I didn't want the MT/R, because unfortunately, I have to drive in mud a lot (Louisville gets more rain per year than Seattle... go figure; it's a swamp), and the MT/R's are NOT a mud tire. But they are probably the best all-around tire on the market.

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal