Glim, ChossWrangler, Patman, ChargedX, Randy Howerton
10084 Registered Users
Recent Posts
ECXC 2024!
by Tom
23/04/24 04:27 PM
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 131 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#266501 - 15/06/05 09:31 AM HOW TO: Removing front plastic wheelwell parts for larger tires
Anonymous
Unregistered

Instead of trimming, I just prepared for my larger tires by taking off all the plastic where the mudflap attaches. It leaves quite a bit of room and to be honest, I think I like the look of it better without the big plastic bulge that used to be there. (Otherwise, completely stock '03)

In case anyone else wants to remove their plastic peices, here's a little info on them as they can be kinda tricky. Obviously there is about 3 or 4 screws to remove on each side. Afterwards the plastic is only held on by 2 plastic clips.

The upper clip can be dislodged by prying towards the rear of the car and the lower clip by prying downwards. I just gave it a good whack with my hand and they popped off.

If you were to remove the white plastic holders, it wouldn't be very noticable at all. Perhaps one day I'll get fancy with some fiberglass and make a smooth cover that fits the area better. Replace the screws you took out so that it will hold the inner plastic wheel well parts intact and keep everything from falling apart smile

The final result - these are new maxxis mudders, the website says they are 31.8 tall and 10.8 wide (265/75/16) - this pic shows the amount of clearance in the front with the wheel turned to get as close as possible to any body material

I'd say you could probably go up another size in tire and not have too much rubbing problems from the rear, but the front part of the wheel well would start giving you rubbing problems while turning. A new front bumper would cure that wink

#266502 - 15/06/05 12:06 PM Re: HOW TO: Removing front plastic wheelwell parts for larger tires
Anonymous
Unregistered

sice you dont want those peices any more, are you interested in sellin them?

#266503 - 15/06/05 01:32 PM Re: HOW TO: Removing front plastic wheelwell parts for larger tires
Anonymous
Unregistered

Ya, I'm in need of one of the clips that holds it on as one broke when I ran some stuff over on the trails.

I looked at removing it by I dont think it looks good..I guess any body shop could fab up something (weld on a piece of sheetmetal and bondo away)to make it look right...

#266504 - 15/06/05 04:34 PM Re: HOW TO: Removing front plastic wheelwell parts for larger tires
TJ Offline

Loc: Lawrenceville, NJ, USA

This is all the trimming I did for my 33x12.5's.

laugh

2001 Xterra '03 VG33, SE 5 spd, 305/70/16's, Revolvers, UBSkidderz, Doubled AAL's, 3"SL/2"BL, winch/bumpers, skids, sliders, OBA, Snorkel, pine stripes....

Friends don't let friends drive stock.

http://www.gifsoup.com/view/501230/tj-tackling-crawlers-ridge-o.gif

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal