Glim, ChossWrangler, Patman, ChargedX, Randy Howerton
10084 Registered Users
Recent Posts
ECXC 2024!
by Tom
10/05/24 09:56 AM
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 137 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#279676 - 17/10/05 10:14 AM Brakes only pulsing *sometimes*?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Stock rotors with EBC green pads.

I know that warped rotors is what causes brake pulsing. But what would cause brake pulsing only after I've been driving a little bit?

When I first start up the car in the morning, or at lunch, or in the evening and start driving, the brakes are fine - smooth and grippy. But after driving maybe ~10 miles or so, when I brake I get the pulsing.

What's up with that?

#279677 - 17/10/05 10:17 AM Re: Brakes only pulsing *sometimes*?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Slight deformation due to heat build up?

If the pulsation is slight it also may be the rear brakes. I have that slightly as well.

#279678 - 17/10/05 10:21 AM Re: Brakes only pulsing *sometimes*?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Sometimes the pusling can be severe.

Can you (or anyone) recommend a brake rotor and drum upgrade?

#279679 - 17/10/05 10:50 AM Re: Brakes only pulsing *sometimes*?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by HellFyre:
Stock rotors with EBC green pads.

I know that warped rotors is what causes brake pulsing. But what would cause brake pulsing only after I've been driving a little bit?

When I first start up the car in the morning, or at lunch, or in the evening and start driving, the brakes are fine - smooth and grippy. But after driving maybe ~10 miles or so, when I brake I get the pulsing.

What's up with that?
I have the same exact problem. I've had my brakes looked at twice too just to find out they are "fine" per the repair shop, pad wise that is.

I also get a funny pedal feel they start pulsing, something is warped somewhere I'm sure. But nothing that bothers me that bad.

#279680 - 17/10/05 10:56 AM Re: Brakes only pulsing *sometimes*?
Anonymous
Unregistered

When it comes to Brakes on Nissans I stick to OEM stuff. I used to have a Nissan Sentra, Nissan Maxima and now the Xterra and on EVERY Nissan that I had OEM stuff worked best. My dad still drives the Maxima (2000) and I have tried a lot of things on the market in terms of brakes and went back to OEM. OEM never overheated, never faded much due to heating up, never dusted much either. I say stick with OEM. They last long, don't dust much, and it installed propery will not sqeak at all.

#279681 - 17/10/05 11:01 AM Re: Brakes only pulsing *sometimes*?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by AHTOXA:
When it comes to Brakes on Nissans I stick to OEM stuff. I used to have a Nissan Sentra, Nissan Maxima and now the Xterra and on EVERY Nissan that I had OEM stuff worked best. My dad still drives the Maxima (2000) and I have tried a lot of things on the market in terms of brakes and went back to OEM. OEM never overheated, never faded much due to heating up, never dusted much either. I say stick with OEM. They last long, don't dust much, and it installed propery will not sqeak at all.
Well, actually the problem goes back a little further. With the OEM pads (original from purchase), the rotors got warped. I had them machined straight again, and put the EBC pads on. So, this problem occurred before with OEM as well.

#279682 - 17/10/05 11:08 AM Re: Brakes only pulsing *sometimes*?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Well rotors can warp a little during normal usage, that's fine. How many miles did you have on the brakes before they warped? Anything abnormal when it comes to braking such as pulling to one side, anything like that. Is the braking system otherwise fine and does not show any kind of indication of a problem?

If you had a lot of miles on the brakes before they warped then it's ok...

My problem is that my rear brakes pulse slightly.
What happens is that when I go off-road there's a shit load of dirt and mud inside the rear drum. What you have to do is open up the rear drum and clean the brakes. Clean and lube them. It may be the case that your rear shoes are worn because of dirt inside the rear drum. That happened to me and they were pulsing. I changed the rear shoes, cleaned the whole thing and lubed it. Worked like a charm and pulsing was gone.

It's pulsing again after I was at a locat off-road park. I've been meaning to clean it but I don't have a hydraulic jack to jack the axle. Can't jack up the rear tire with any other "side" jack. They are not long enough.

Bottom line: Try and see if the pulsing is from the rear brakes. Take off wheels and the brake drum and clean it out of need be. If that does not solve the problem you can go from there.

#279683 - 17/10/05 11:12 AM Re: Brakes only pulsing *sometimes*?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Thanks for the advice! I'll check that out.

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal