Glim, ChossWrangler, Patman, ChargedX, Randy Howerton
10084 Registered Users
Recent Posts
ECXC 2024!
by Tom
10/05/24 09:56 AM
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 234 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#280263 - 25/04/06 04:06 PM mushy brakes
Anonymous
Unregistered

Does anyone know a fix for the Xs' infamous mushy brake pedal. I realize the brakes themselves work great but if you drive different vehicles you tend to put yourself through the wind shield if you get in a vehicle with a normal brake pedal after a trip in the X. I like everything else about it so far tho.

#280264 - 25/04/06 04:33 PM Re: mushy brakes
Anonymous
Unregistered

probably not much short of a brake swap/upgrade.

You could go with stainless steel lines, and more aggressive pads (gona cause more wear on the rotors). That would firm things up a bit, but I wouldnt want to mess with it too much due to the EBD and VSA

#280265 - 25/04/06 05:23 PM Re: mushy brakes
Anonymous
Unregistered

I tend to think it is part of the design of the master cylinder and actuator rod coming from the pedal. you could try to add a milimeter to the rod length, but bad things might happen when the brakes get hot.

#280266 - 26/04/06 06:15 AM Re: mushy brakes
Anonymous
Unregistered

I've added the extended Stainless steel brake lines in the rear and my brakes have firmed up quite a bit. Enough where I've had to adjust my braking habits to the lighter side. I highle recommend them. Stillen sells them as well as Pro-Comp which are the ones sold by an unnamed company with they're lift kit. wink
Also you can go just about anywhere that sells SS brake lines and select length and type of fitting for ends.(brake lines have standardized ends)

#280267 - 26/04/06 07:35 AM Re: mushy brakes
Anonymous
Unregistered

did you have any trouble bleeding the rears? no ABS light or anything? I don't like the fact that non rubber lines tend to snap, but the rear is in a protected area not likey to be snagged.

#280268 - 26/04/06 08:03 AM Re: mushy brakes
Anonymous
Unregistered

I actually like the brakes. smile

#280269 - 26/04/06 09:44 AM Re: mushy brakes
Anonymous
Unregistered

I was really suprised at how quick and easy they did bleed.Took all of 5 minutes with no problems. The last time I did it on my mustang years ago I had all kinds of problems. Just make sure you use a 10mm line wrench as the fittings are soft and don't like regular open wrenches.Also bleed passenger rear first then drivers side, all I used was a cheap $4 bleeder from Harbor Freight and filled the bottle to the 3/4 mark for each brake.

#280270 - 26/04/06 11:43 AM Re: mushy brakes
Anonymous
Unregistered

I actually like the brakes too, but I was put off a bit at first by the free travel.

I'll keep the rear braided line in mind when I put in a 2 inch lift.

#280271 - 26/04/06 01:28 PM Re: mushy brakes
Anonymous
Unregistered

a mityvac will bring you years of joy in bleeding systems...def a must have for the home mechanic...

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal