2002 Door Opening Trim
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:32 PM
XOC Still Lives
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:31 PM
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 139 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#268486 - 05/11/07 07:37 AM Personal tire reccomendations??
spalind Offline

Loc: Windham, NH
Just asking as it looks like I need a new set after this weekend...

The tires I currently have on there are Kumho MT's in the old style that is no longer made...they are 33x12.5R15's which in reality ar 32.5"'s in diameter have a tread depth of 19/32" and weigh 53.9lbs each...

Now my debate is what to go to next...Do I stick with 33's?? Do I go to 34" Trxus MT's?? Do I go to small 35's??

The new Kumho MT's are actually only 32.3" big in the 33" size so I'd actually be getting smaller and they weigh more as well...

Goodyear MT's in the 33" size (besides being really expensive) are also a bit smaller at 32.4" and also weigh more

Yokohama MT's in the 33" size are 32.6" big and weigh less than my current Kumho's and have the same tread depth...They are also the smallest in the 35" tires that I've seen at 34.4"'s which leaves me wondering if I could go to those...

Firestone MT's are true 33"'s at the 33" size and have really deep lugs at 22/32" but are 7 pounds heavier per tire than my current ones

Truxus MT's are also true to size at 33"'s at the 33's but they also offer the 34" size as well though those are a full pounds heavier per tire than my current ones...

and finally the Maxxis Bighorns are close to being true in size--32.9"'s at the 33's and have pretty deep lugs at 20/32's but I don't know how much they weigh...

Thoughts??

#268487 - 05/11/07 08:43 AM Re: Personal tire reccomendations??
Anonymous
Unregistered

I'm in the exact same boat. I also currently run the same Kumhos as you and in the same size: 33x12.5

I'm gonna be needing new muds soon as well and I'm strongly considering the Destination MTs.

There are a few guys I know that run them and are happy with them. I don't think I want to go to 34" just yet, so a true 33" should do just fine. I considered the option for a 34x10.5 but I think that I will stick to the fatter tire. I doubt that I can fit a 12.5 tire taller than 33".

Yes, the Destinations are heavier but I like the deeper tread. The Kumhos I have now have about 35k on them of highway driving and rock use. I'm hoping that the deep tread on the Destination MTs will last just as well.

#268488 - 05/11/07 08:46 AM Re: Personal tire reccomendations??
spalind Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by AHTOXA:
I'm in the exact same boat. I also currently run the same Kumhos as you and in the same size: 33x12.5

I'm gonna be needing new muds soon as well and I'm strongly considering the Destination MTs.

There are a few guys I know that run them and are happy with them. I don't think I want to go to 34" just yet, so a true 33" should do just fine. I considered the option for a 34x10.5 but I think that I will stick to the fatter tire. I doubt that I can fit a 12.5 tire taller than 33".

Yes, the Destinations are heavier but I like the deeper tread. The Kumhos I have now have about 35k on them of highway driving and rock use. I'm hoping that the deep tread on the Destination MTs will last just as well.
Yeah, I just cut a sidewall on one of mine this weekend so that ones shot...you can still find them on Ebay for pretty cheap so that is an option but given they don't make them anymore I figure I'd might as well bite the bullet now rather than later...

#268489 - 05/11/07 09:01 AM Re: Personal tire reccomendations??
Anonymous
Unregistered

I mean, it depends on how much tread you still got left. If there's enough, I'd probably just get one from Ebay and be done. If the tires have no more than, say, 10k left in them, I'd get new ones.

I understand that you don't use them for daily driving, right?

#268490 - 05/11/07 10:07 AM Re: Personal tire reccomendations??
spalind Offline

Quote:
I mean, it depends on how much tread you still got left. If there's enough, I'd probably just get one from Ebay and be done. If the tires have no more than, say, 10k left in them, I'd get new ones.

I understand that you don't use them for daily driving, right?
Correct...its not my DD...They are a bit chewed up at this point being a couple years old and have some good chunks out of the sidewalls so I don't want to grab one off Ebay and then be right back in the same situation a month from now...

#268491 - 05/11/07 10:13 AM Re: Personal tire reccomendations??
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hey, if you end up replacing them, would you sell me one as a spare for me to use? My spare now is a 33x9.5. Skinny as all shit.

#268492 - 05/11/07 10:31 AM Re: Personal tire reccomendations??
spalind Offline

Quote:
Hey, if you end up replacing them, would you sell me one as a spare for me to use? My spare now is a 33x9.5. Skinny as all shit.
No question...I WILL be replacing them (or at least buying the replacements) this week so I should be able to sell you one of my remaining three very shortly...how much do you think shipping is?

#268493 - 05/11/07 10:46 AM Re: Personal tire reccomendations??
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by spalind:
Quote:
[b]Hey, if you end up replacing them, would you sell me one as a spare for me to use? My spare now is a 33x9.5. Skinny as all shit.
No question...I WILL be replacing them (or at least buying the replacements) this week so I should be able to sell you one of my remaining three very shortly...how much do you think shipping is?[/b]
Sent PM.

#268494 - 05/11/07 11:11 AM Re: Personal tire reccomendations??
spalind Offline

Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by spalind:
[b]
Quote:
[b]Hey, if you end up replacing them, would you sell me one as a spare for me to use? My spare now is a 33x9.5. Skinny as all shit.
No question...I WILL be replacing them (or at least buying the replacements) this week so I should be able to sell you one of my remaining three very shortly...how much do you think shipping is?[/b]
Sent PM.[/b]
Emailed back..

#268495 - 05/11/07 11:45 AM Re: Personal tire reccomendations??
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
What? Get rid of the doughnut???

BTW - Think it cost $25 when I had a tire shipped from the east coast.

#268496 - 05/11/07 03:09 PM Re: Personal tire reccomendations??
Stonecoldchavez Offline

Loc: New Jersey
Dan-

Have you looked at the new BFG Mud-Terrain KM2's? Not sure what the new sizes are available yet.

I have the Bridestone Dueler M/T's also. Have you looked into to them? I have had no complaints with them. They do not have any siping in the treads, but I still have never had any problems with them in the rain.

Stone

#268497 - 05/11/07 04:31 PM Re: Personal tire reccomendations??
Anonymous
Unregistered

I was considering the Cooper Discoverer STT's. I've read nothing but good about them and the price around here atleast is very decent.

#268498 - 05/11/07 05:15 PM Re: Personal tire reccomendations??
spalind Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Stonecoldchavez:
Dan-

Have you looked at the new BFG Mud-Terrain KM2's? Not sure what the new sizes are available yet.

I have the Bridestone Dueler M/T's also. Have you looked into to them? I have had no complaints with them. They do not have any siping in the treads, but I still have never had any problems with them in the rain.

Stone
The new BFG MT's are not done in 15 inch rim sizes yet..

#268499 - 05/11/07 05:16 PM Re: Personal tire reccomendations??
spalind Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Ebeauchea:
I was considering the Cooper Discoverer STT's. I've read nothing but good about them and the price around here atleast is very decent.
You are the second person to reccomend these...I will have to look into it more...

#268500 - 05/11/07 05:32 PM Re: Personal tire reccomendations??
Anonymous
Unregistered

i love my grabber at2's. cooper stt were my second choice, then i realized i dont wheel that much and its my dd so the m/t wouldnt be best for me..

heres a review of stt..
http://www.offroaders.com/tech/AT-MT-Tires/Cooper-Discoverer-stt.htm

#268501 - 05/11/07 06:55 PM Re: Personal tire reccomendations??
01SalsaXterra Offline

Loc: Suffolk County,NY,USA
I am currently running the 35x12.5 Goodyear MT/R's and love them. Awesome for rockcrawling and not terrible onroad.
If this isnt your daily driver I would go 34" Trxus M/T's in a heartbeat and MAKE them fit.
If you dont have a body lift the 34's may rub in the back with just a 3" suspension lift.
33's should fit fine with just a 3"SL.

If you want a cheaper alternative to a super aggressive tire, check out Swamper LTB's in a 34x10.5 size.
They are really cheap and can be bought in 15,16, or 17" rim sizes for similar prices.

I ran Trxus M/T's in 265/75r16's, 285/75r16's, bought a set of 33x12.5-16" Trxus MT's, and ended up selling them for my 35x12.5 MT/R's. LOL

The Trxus M/T's are awesome tires.
I'd highly recommend them.

I got "IT" from ebay.
Now it burns when I pee..

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal