Glim, ChossWrangler, Patman, ChargedX, Randy Howerton
10084 Registered Users
Recent Posts
ECXC 2024!
by Tom
10/05/24 09:56 AM
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 155 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#273104 - 10/01/08 03:57 PM 1st gen Brake Replacement Tutorial?
Anonymous
Unregistered

I just bought new rotors and pads for the front, is there an xterra specific tutorial of how to change them online? I heard it's pretty difficult on these trucks.

#273105 - 10/01/08 06:45 PM Re: 1st gen Brake Replacement Tutorial?
dlg1333 Offline

Loc: N Little Rock, Arkansas
I picked up a manual for a frontier at the auto parts store and had a buddy with more automotive knowledge than I do help me out. It really wasn't that bad. Be sure to have grease and snap ring pliers handy for this job.

I also remember there being a step by step guide here that was very helpful

#273106 - 10/01/08 08:40 PM Re: 1st gen Brake Replacement Tutorial?
Anonymous
Unregistered

search repacking bearings on here and other forums, and there is a link to a flordia xterra club that has a great how to on re packing bearings which it about the same steps to change pads and rotors. there is a special tool to get for the spindle nut, and it is necessary to use! but other than that, I can change pads and rotors in about 45 min on my xterra. its not bad at all.

#273107 - 11/01/08 05:29 PM Re: 1st gen Brake Replacement Tutorial?
OffroadX Offline

Loc: Baltimore, MD
The spindle nut tool is not needed for a brake job.

http://mywebpages.comcast.net/xterra/tech/FrontBrakeJob.txt

Tip: see if your question has already been answered before asking it. Try our handy-dandy search tool!

#273108 - 11/01/08 09:02 PM Re: 1st gen Brake Replacement Tutorial?
Anonymous
Unregistered

I thought the tool was required if your changing rotors as the hubs have to come off being that they bolt to the rotors. if your just doing pads, then yeah no tool required, but either way its cheap and a good tool to have.

#273109 - 14/01/08 07:01 PM Re: 1st gen Brake Replacement Tutorial?
OffroadX Offline

Loc: Baltimore, MD
Yeah, if you're changing the rotors, you need to do all that, but that's not your typical brake job.

Tip: see if your question has already been answered before asking it. Try our handy-dandy search tool!

#273110 - 16/01/08 04:02 AM Re: 1st gen Brake Replacement Tutorial?
Anonymous
Unregistered

ok...thats what I thought. He said in the opening post that he bought new rotors and pads, so thats why I said that he would neeed the tool.

-Kyle

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal