2002 Door Opening Trim
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:32 PM
XOC Still Lives
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:31 PM
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 139 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#286002 - 26/04/01 09:26 PM new tires
mechbee Offline

Loc: Chula Vista, CA .,U.S.
I need new tires and with a 4x2 I don't need to spend much. I just want a better tire than my stock tires and something with better traction.

------------------

#286003 - 26/04/01 10:11 PM Re: new tires
ChimChim Offline

Loc: San Diego, CA
Be careful which tires you choose. I just went through 3 months of trying to solve a shimmy problem at 70 mph which all started when Mossy Nissan in Kearny Mesa did a front-end alignment (NEVER LET MOSSY NISSAN DO AN ALIGNMENT ON YOUR XTERRA). One of my stock BFG Long Trails had a radial tire pull. BFG would only replace one tire so I decided to get new tires since I never really liked the Long Trails to begin with. I got a set of Pirelli Scorpion AT's, no matter how many times I balanced them, they would shimmy at 70 mph. So last week I replaced them with some Michelin LTX M/S and it finally solved all my vibration problems. They aren't cheap but they are very smooth riding and handle extremely well. It's not an off-road tire but I do 90% street driving and 10% off-road so it suits my needs just fine.

Anyway, to get back to your question. If you're going to do mostly highway driving and don't mind spending a little more money, I'd go with the Michelin LTX M/S. Great tires. If you're looking for off-road performance, people on here have said good things about the BFG All-terrain T/A's (incidentally, BFG's tire division is owned by Michelin). Both tires are a little pricy. Supposedly, Dunlop Radial Rover A/T's are supposed to be a pretty good value, performance-wise I have no experience with them. Expect to spend a little more for truck tires than for car tires.

------------------
2000 SE 4x4 5sp Alpine Green

[This message has been edited by ChimChim (edited 04-27-2001).]

#286004 - 27/04/01 12:35 PM Re: new tires
ashleynatlanta Offline

Loc: Birmingham, AL
I have the Dunlop Radial Rovers and I have been very happy with them. ON the road manners are good at nearly any speed, and off road they really get good traction in snow and sand. Mud-wise, you could probably do better, but I wouldn't know the difference. I also think the Dunlops will go about $110 a piece. Think about getting some Old Man Emu shocks while you are at it. They have offered me a much better ride than the stock ones did.

------------------
Roll Freakin' Tide!!!

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal