Glim, ChossWrangler, Patman, ChargedX, Randy Howerton
10084 Registered Users
Recent Posts
ECXC 2024!
by Tom
10/05/24 09:56 AM
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 234 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#308135 - 16/10/01 10:09 AM FRS radios ?
Peanut Butter Offline

Loc: Vancouver, BC
I'm planning to do my first off road trip this weekend and need to get a FRS radio. Yes I did a search already but there where no reviews of the units I have been looking at. The local shop has the following

Motorola T5200, T6220 , T6300, and T6310.

The 5200 is around 70 CND. The rest of them are over 100 dollars. I have no idea which one to buy. What should I look for?

#308136 - 16/10/01 10:12 AM Re: FRS radios ?
Samueul Offline

Loc: Pittsburgh, PA. USA
The 5200 isn't bad, I have two of them. You might want to think about investing in a CB. Works much better.

#308137 - 16/10/01 10:29 AM Re: FRS radios ?
OffroadX Offline

Loc: Baltimore, MD
Just don't get a Cobra, they suck. Motorola, Audiovox, no-name, so far so good, but the Cobras just don't seem to like anything but other Cobras too well.

Brent

Tip: see if your question has already been answered before asking it. Try our handy-dandy search tool!

#308138 - 16/10/01 10:29 AM Re: FRS radios ?
XOC Offline
Admin

Loc: Minneapolis, MN
Quote:
Originally posted by Samueul:
The 5200 isn't bad, I have two of them. You might want to think about investing in a CB. Works much better.

We find better range with FRS here in the mountains.

CB does mean never having to change batteries though laugh

#308139 - 16/10/01 10:40 AM Re: FRS radios ?
Peanut Butter Offline

Loc: Vancouver, BC
The group I'm going out with uses FRS's so no CB for me. Thanks for the info so far.

#308140 - 16/10/01 11:49 AM Re: FRS radios ?
SalsaX Offline

Loc: Aliso Viejo, Ca,
I have one of the moble FRS radios from Radio Shack . I just puchased and have only tested it for range. It works very well. The only draw back is that it's not hand held. and requires the use of a 12v outlet.

#308141 - 16/10/01 01:07 PM Re: FRS radios ?
gx_ca Offline

Loc: san jose, ca
a lot of the cobras don't have sub codes like the motorolas - so if you're out & the folks you are w/ are one a channel/sub code setting. you can hear the conversation, but you can't give your 2 cents. i have the motorola 6320 (the grn one to match my x). i like it. it has a lot of fun features - barometer, altimeter, compass. the 6310 is also a good one. this was my first one (gave to b/f). it also has nice additional features - most notable is the fm radio. so, if you want these options; then get the high end motorolas. otherwise, a base model one is good enough.

#308142 - 16/10/01 01:08 PM Re: FRS radios ?
gx_ca Offline

Loc: san jose, ca
a lot of the cobras don't have sub codes like the motorolas - so if you're out & the folks you are w/ are one a channel/sub code setting. you can hear the conversation, but you can't give your 2 cents. i have the motorola 6320 (the grn one to match my x). i like it. it has a lot of fun features - barometer, altimeter, compass. the 6310 is also a good one. this was my first one (gave to b/f). it also has nice additional features - most notable is the fm radio. so, if you want these options; then get the high end motorolas. otherwise, a base model one is good enough.

#308143 - 16/10/01 01:18 PM Re: FRS radios ?
02sc Offline

Loc: up yours
FRS are definately easier to use for someone just seeking occasional communication.

However CB's can exceed the range of the FRS quite easily by "turning up" the output - most CB shops can do this. As well, antenna matching is critical for optimum performance.

The reason box stock CB's are less effective in mountain terrain than FRS is that CB's are A.M. and FRS are F.M. - remember (those of you that have even listened to am radio) just like when you go through (the smallest) tunnel - AM dosen't work.

#308144 - 16/10/01 01:42 PM Re: FRS radios ?
TravelingFool Offline

Loc: Prior Lake, MN
Keep in mind that the actual transmitter circuitry in 99% of those is designed by the same manufacturer, and since the FCC limits its power, every single FRS radio will have the exact same transmission capability. So don't think that if you purchase a "cheaper" unit, you won't transmit as far ans someone with a more expensive one.

What you're paying for is features... sub-codes, headset compatibility, ease of use, weatherproofness, etc. are things to keep in mind.

For what its worth, I would recommend a unit that uses AA batteries vs. AAA batteries unless you like to buy lots and lots of AAA batteries and swap them out all the time. My Motorola "talkabouts" (in solar yellow, of course) use three AA batteries and they seem to last forever. I went through a 6 hour fishing tournament and still had 4/4 battery "dots."

Sub-codes are also a handy thing to have.

Oh, and make sure that whichever unit you buy, you can operate it with gloves on... some of them have REALLY tiny buttons.

The liver is evil, and must be punished...

#308145 - 16/10/01 02:23 PM Re: FRS radios ?
rrdstarr Offline

Loc: Tacoma
Scott...just get a Motorola! The cheap ones work as well as the others. We never get that strung out that you'll go out of distance. If you do someone in the group will have a CB and commmunicate that way! You'll have fun this weekend with the crazy people from PNWX!

-Rick

Moderator:  Adam, fastdrmr, Gonzo-2, Smith 

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal