2002 Door Opening Trim
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:32 PM
XOC Still Lives
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:31 PM
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 139 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#291156 - 22/05/02 11:16 PM Newbee Electrical Question
xkish Offline

Loc: Chino Hills, CA
I had a few questions. I have no clue of how electrical systems work, so please excuse my "stupid" questions.

I bought a 5.6" television, and it connects directly to a 12 volt supply. I would like to install a fuse in between the wire to the monitor and battery (just in case it blows, I dont want the monitor to blow).

1. Do I have to connect the wire directly to the battery?

2. What gauge of wire do I have to run? (the less the gauge the thicker correct?)

3. What type of fuse do I have to put inbetween?

4. Where would they sell the fuse holder? I checked Pep boys and they only sell a normal car fuse kit. I believe I need the tube fuse.

5. I plan on installing a DC VCR also, so can I "split" the wire from the battery and also run it to the VCR? Do I need another fuse?

6. Or am I totally wrong, and I have to somehow go through my fuse box?

Thank you for all your help/advise in advance.

#291157 - 23/05/02 11:59 AM Re: Newbee Electrical Question
*paul Offline

Loc: New Zealand
Attach cigarette lighter plugs to the TV and VCR and just plug it in. Those outlets are already fused. If you must hard wire these items, get a stereo shop to do it. You need to learn about electricity on a less-expensive vehicle.

I made some 'changes' to my Dad's '50-ish Oldsmobile fuse box when I was about 7 yrs old and it burnt to the ground the next day.

#291158 - 23/05/02 02:31 PM Re: Newbee Electrical Question
k_enn Offline

Loc: Northern New Jersey
I usually strongly recommend not patching into the vehicle's electrical wiring if you can possibly avoid doing so. I have done some splicing in, and it has been fine for a while, but sooner or later a problem will arise. And it is not just me --- I once had an aftermarket radio installed in Nissan Sentra by a stereo shop. It was fine for about a year, then a problem arose with the connection they made and it resulted in blowing a portion of the car's ignition control circuit. If you don't *know* what you are doing, don't touch it.

I suggest using the *lighter* outlets, but remember that they are always *hot* so you need to be sure turn off what you have plugged into them when you leave the vehicle for any period of time to avoid running down your battery.

Moderator:  Adam, fastdrmr, Gonzo-2, Smith 

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal