Glim, ChossWrangler, Patman, ChargedX, Randy Howerton
10084 Registered Users
Recent Posts
ECXC 2024!
by Tom
23/04/24 04:27 PM
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 131 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#296640 - 22/07/02 04:30 PM roof grommet - source
Steel_City_X Offline

Loc: Pueblo, CO
Looking for a source for a grommet to run power for lights to the roof. I would like not to run things through the door and want to disconnect/remove lights when not needed.

I have seen some grommets for sailboats, but did not know what has been done.

Help appreciated.

Todd
First Xterra IFS or SAS up Moab Rim...#2 up Mt. Blanca.
African Adventure pictures....
http://homepage.mac.com/ahlenius/

#296641 - 23/07/02 07:29 AM Re: roof grommet - source
OffroadX Offline

Loc: Baltimore, MD
I assume you're looking to drill a hole in the roof and put a grommet in to protect the wires etc.
Radio Shack sells nice vinyl grommets in a little blister pack, multiple sizes in the pack. Should be what you need. They don't "seal" the hole, but you can do that yourself. Here's what I would do.
Get some clear RTV silicone from your auto parts store.
Drill a hole large enough to pass your wires through, make sure it matches the diameter of the groove in the grommet though (they come in sizes).
Clean up any burrs around the hole with a file, etc.
Apply touch-up paint or clear nail polish to the bare metal of the hole and let dry.
Fill the groove of the grommet with a little silicone, and then fit it into the hole. This will be messy, clean up afterwards.
Run your wires, complete the job.
Now go back and squirt a good glob of silicone into the hole in the grommet. Pull each wire back and forth a little bit (1/8") and twist 'em to work it completely through the bundle, then work all the wires back and forth together a bit as one bundle. Then apply a little more silicone to seal the top and let it sit undisturbed to dry.

That ought to do the trick.
Brent

Tip: see if your question has already been answered before asking it. Try our handy-dandy search tool!

Moderator:  Adam, fastdrmr, Gonzo-2, Smith 

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal