2002 Door Opening Trim
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:32 PM
XOC Still Lives
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:31 PM
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 139 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#303078 - 25/05/03 03:44 AM Do I have to replace the headunit??
Sherbert Offline

Loc: Texas
Since I kinda like my stock headunit I was wondering if I HAVE to get rid of it in order to get better sound quality, or would some aftermarket speakers and an amp do it? Honestly I would have serious issues about not being able to use my steering wheel radio controls anymore, and I'm not so sure they can be used with an aftermarket headunit. [Huh?]

EDIT: I have the Rockford Fosgate "package," but from what I understand the only thing that's RF is the sub in the back, is that right? Is that worth keeping?

My (now sold) 2003 SE-SC Xterra

#303079 - 25/05/03 08:12 AM Re: Do I have to replace the headunit??
Lincoln Offline

Loc: Wisconsin
You do not have to replace the head unit to get better sound, just replacing your speakers will help. Don't get me wrong, a aftermarket head unit makes a huge difference. There are ways to use your steering wheel controls with aftermarket stereos. A couple of people on the board (do a search) have figured it out and some stereos are made to be compatible. As far as what is Rockford Fosgate and what is not, your amps and I believe your headunit is fosgate. It is all lower quality stuff than what they sell as aftermarket, but still good shit. I am not sure about your interior cabin speakers though. Nissan has always used Clarion and Bose.

#303080 - 25/05/03 02:32 PM Re: Do I have to replace the headunit??
Canadian5150 Offline

I also agree. New Speakers will make a large difference. If you are after a major improvement, it is best to replace both. As said above, the RF stuff you have is not as good as any thing that is available in the aftermarket.

#303081 - 25/05/03 02:47 PM Re: Do I have to replace the headunit??
Lincoln Offline

Loc: Wisconsin
What are you looking for as far as speakers? If you buy halfway decent speakers, you will probably have too/want too run a different amp for your in cabin speakers. How much money do you want to spend and how much better do you want your system to sound???

Moderator:  Adam, fastdrmr, Gonzo-2, Smith 

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal