Glim, ChossWrangler, Patman, ChargedX, Randy Howerton
10084 Registered Users
Recent Posts
ECXC 2024!
by Tom
10/05/24 09:56 AM
Shout Box

Who's Online
1 registered (Tom), 90 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#301045 - 23/06/03 04:51 PM possible sub location???
X2K Offline

Loc: 41.556895 N, 72.665225 W
Ever plan on making a custom box for a sub? I am thinking of putting a 10-12" sub in my rear door. Opposite side of the first aid kit. There will be a little fiberglass work, but i dont want to take away any trunk space. I think that it will stick out probally 3 inches from the hatch, then run the wires through the same hole as the 3rd brake light. Then i want to see what is under the side panels in the rear, maybe an amp there or under the seat
http://www.grovestreet.com/jsp/onepic.jsp?id=186476

#301046 - 23/06/03 10:15 PM Re: possible sub location???
dlg1333 Offline

Loc: N Little Rock, Arkansas
Hey, i though of doing something similar just on the other side (in the first aid kit hole). I had the same resoning you did. But , as another member pointed out to me, the gas arms that hold the door up were set to hold up just the door. So, you'd need to upgrade them to support the added weight of your sub and box. But, if you end up doing it, post some pics, specs, and costs if you can because, like I said , I'm interested in something similar.

#301047 - 23/06/03 11:02 PM Re: possible sub location???
ChuckH Offline

Loc: Seattle, WA
I thought of something like that but besides the support issue, I would be concerned about the effects of slamming the rear hatch with a large and heavy speaker in it. Could be bad for the door and the speaker and without a lot of modifications it owuld be rattle city back there. Also, I doubt there is enough depth anywhere in the back door except where the first aid kit is (and I would say that's really pushing it), which would be the best place for it anyway. Seriously; there's not much room in the back door. You'd be better off doing something custom around the left wheel well, IMO.

#301048 - 24/06/03 09:07 PM Re: possible sub location???
n2 Offline

Loc: Venice Beach, Ca
I really don't recommend that location. The sub/enclosure will be way too heavy. Try either 6x9 location, glass an enclosure there and put rear speakers in the doors if you need them.

Check out what I did to mine... There are build pics if you need ideas --> www.cmcworld.net

Moderator:  Adam, fastdrmr, Gonzo-2, Smith 

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal