Glim, ChossWrangler, Patman, ChargedX, Randy Howerton
10084 Registered Users
Recent Posts
ECXC 2024!
by Tom
23/04/24 04:27 PM
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 131 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#313851 - 23/08/04 09:04 PM Replace just the speakers?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Welp, I've noticed lately that the sound quality of my '00 SE's stock system leaves quite a bit to be desired. So I'm wondering if there's anyway I could simply replace my stock speakers and get better sound. I prefer stock equipment, and would like to leave the head unit if that's possible.

Will I get decent results by just putting in new speakers? I don't need an AMAZING sound system, just something that sounds pretty good. If I can get by with this, what are some good speakers to put in? Can I keep the stock look, or will it be obvious I have aftermarket speakers in my truck?

#313852 - 23/08/04 09:12 PM Re: Replace just the speakers?
Rickster43 Offline

Loc: San Antonio,Texas
Aftermarket Speakers will make a ton of difference from the shitting Stock Speakers...I replaced all my stock speakers with Infinity's....and, what a difference...then again I did replace my stock head unit for a Pioneer....

"The Universe without Music would be Madness"...

#313853 - 23/08/04 09:19 PM Re: Replace just the speakers?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by Rickster43:
Aftermarket Speakers will make a ton of difference from the shitting Stock Speakers...I replaced all my stock speakers with Infinity's....and, what a difference...then again I did replace my stock head unit for a Pioneer....
I'm COMPLETELY new to aftermarket stuff, so how would I go about getting some new speakers? What would be a good brand to look into? How do I know what size to get? What do I look for in speakers? How in the heck would I install them?

Sorry for all the questions...does anyone on here have a stock head unit with a GREAT set of speakers?

#313854 - 23/08/04 11:41 PM Re: Replace just the speakers?
Anonymous
Unregistered

go to www.crutchfield.com to see the speakers that fit your xterra. They usually have a decent selection. Then click around a bit, there are a lot of your answers on that site.

However, do not buy from them, because their prices are high. But then again, being new to car audio you may want to pay a bit more for their product because they do have great customer support.

#313855 - 24/08/04 07:06 AM Re: Replace just the speakers?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Crutchfield IS WAY overpriced. Your better off talking to tech guys at a Sound Advice or Circuit City. I would never buy from Crutchfield, but that's just me. They target the people that don't know anything and will pay top dollar for mediocre speakers.

#313856 - 24/08/04 08:35 AM Re: Replace just the speakers?
BlueSky Offline

Loc: Georgia
Quote:
Originally posted by Rickster43:
Aftermarket Speakers will make a ton of difference from the shitting Stock Speakers...
Hey Rickster, good thing you replaced 'em...your truck must have smelled pretty rank. wink

On the speakers, after finding what you want, try this site to find the lowest available price.

Good luck and let us know how it turns out.

#313857 - 24/08/04 09:25 AM Re: Replace just the speakers?
Anonymous
Unregistered

First, thanks for all of your help. Crutchfield's website is great to use and gives me some choices.

How about Infinity Reference 6002si in the front? Click here They're priced reasonably...although, there's a set of JBL that are awfully tempting. But if I'm planning on keeping the headunit (for OEM looks) would I want to invest in a pair of serious speakers?

Next question: can I fit these speakers into the OEM speaker slot and use the same speaker grill?

#313858 - 24/08/04 09:49 AM Re: Replace just the speakers?
superjens Offline

Loc: North Vancouver
I found just replacing the head unit made the biggest difference for me. The stock one makes shit power, and thus makes shit sound when turned up. My headunit says it makes 200 Watts (whatever, probably more like 12.5 per channel realistically) but the sound difference is really noticable. I can't even be bothered to replace my factory speakers because it sounds so nice now.

#313859 - 24/08/04 11:50 AM Re: Replace just the speakers?
Anonymous
Unregistered

SPUDMTN -
if you don't plan on using an outboard amp, or changing your stock head unit, save yourself the money and leave it like it is. If you must, go to the local BestBuy / CircuitCity and get a cheap ($50 - $60) pair of Kenwood/Pioneer door speakers. The stock head unit produces dirty sound, and isn't worthy of too much upgrade to the speakers. Now, a new head unit (kenwood/alpine/pioneer/JVC/Clarion/Eclipse) with a new pair of door speakers is well worth the money.

I got a pair of JL VR600s coaxials on ebay NIB for $55, and they'll SMOKE any infinite Reference drivers.

just my thoughts....

#313860 - 24/08/04 07:21 PM Re: Replace just the speakers?
Anonymous
Unregistered

I also forgot to mention... If you are not going to replace your head unit, stick to a speaker with a high sensitivity rating (dB) and lower rms wattage.

Moderator:  Adam, fastdrmr, Gonzo-2, Smith 

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal