Glim, ChossWrangler, Patman, ChargedX, Randy Howerton
10084 Registered Users
Recent Posts
ECXC 2024!
by Tom
10/05/24 09:56 AM
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 234 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#295867 - 13/03/06 05:20 PM wire splice/tap?
Anonymous
Unregistered

What are those wire splice things called, they are made of plastic and the wire you are splicing runs right through it, and the wire that you want to get power to goes into the other side. then you close the clip and it splices the wires..

#295868 - 13/03/06 05:36 PM Re: wire splice/tap?
Anonymous
Unregistered

When I went to radio shack I asked for Power wire taps, they knew what I was talking about. You close the catch with plyers and the center metal peice slices through both wires. Where in Westchester are you? I lived in Westchester for 40 years.

#295869 - 13/03/06 05:43 PM Re: wire splice/tap?
Anonymous
Unregistered

In the south salem, katonah, cross river area. right on the border of CT and the town ridgefield.

how about you?

#295870 - 14/03/06 07:14 AM Re: wire splice/tap?
GrayHam Offline

Wire Tap-In Squeeze Connectors

They are VERY handy to have around. [ThumbsUp]

#295871 - 14/03/06 08:35 AM Re: wire splice/tap?
Anonymous
Unregistered

A lot of times they are called Vampire Taps. Obviously that is not a technical term, but to anyone that does wiring of any kind will know what you are talking about. It's like calling a pair of side cutters (or diagonal cutters), dikes.

#295872 - 14/03/06 10:48 AM Re: wire splice/tap?
Anonymous
Unregistered

3M Scotchlock splices

#295873 - 14/03/06 07:34 PM Re: wire splice/tap?
Anonymous
Unregistered

wow i went to both autozone and radioshack and no one had an idea of what i was talking about.
i guess i will have to buy them online..
any websites besides the radioshack one?

#295874 - 14/03/06 08:59 PM Re: wire splice/tap?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Try walmart, home depot, or lowe's. They'll look exactly like the ones on that radioshack link. Should pick up a box of 20 or more. Always good to have around.

#295875 - 15/03/06 07:07 AM Re: wire splice/tap?
GrayHam Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by yankyfan100:
wow i went to both autozone and radioshack and no one had an idea of what i was talking about.
Yeah, RadioShack people don't know shit.

"You've Got Questions, We've Got answers": how about CORRECT answers? "Ummm . . . ." doesn't cut it.

I found that I had to bypass the roving sales monkeys, and just go back to the miscellaneous connectors area. Most of the RadioShacks have large shelving units, with a dozen drawers or so, with all kinds of electrical connectors in them. The drawers are decently labeled, as well.

Your best bet is to spend ten minutes rifling through the connectors to find the tap-in connectors.

#295876 - 15/03/06 10:24 AM Re: wire splice/tap?
Anonymous
Unregistered

You must have talked to a complete idiot at Autozone because I know they carry them. I've gotten them there. And so should any auto parts store. But RS should have them too, although you'll probably have to hunt for them there too.

-G-

#295877 - 15/03/06 11:45 AM Re: wire splice/tap?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by GrayHam:
Quote:
Originally posted by yankyfan100:
[b]wow i went to both autozone and radioshack and no one had an idea of what i was talking about.
Yeah, RadioShack people don't know shit.

"You've Got Questions, We've Got answers": how about CORRECT answers? "Ummm . . . ." doesn't cut it.

I found that I had to bypass the roving sales monkeys, and just go back to the miscellaneous connectors area. Most of the RadioShacks have large shelving units, with a dozen drawers or so, with all kinds of electrical connectors in them. The drawers are decently labeled, as well.

Your best bet is to spend ten minutes rifling through the connectors to find the tap-in connectors.[/b]
that's my experience with RatShack too. Although I spend so much time in there buying crap, I know what I am looking for and where it is. smile

#295878 - 15/03/06 05:53 PM Re: wire splice/tap?
Anonymous
Unregistered

yeah radioshack basically sucks horribly
I wound up just going to mobile and asking the mechanic and he gave me 2 for free. Its good being friendly with everyone that works at ur local gas station wink

#295879 - 15/03/06 07:38 PM Re: wire splice/tap?
Anonymous
Unregistered

What are you trying to connect? For anything serious (like an alarm, for example) I would advise agaisnt those connectors. I'll typically just take a pair of cutters and slide the insulation off a wire (without cutting it) and solder a connection in.

#295880 - 16/03/06 01:27 AM Re: wire splice/tap?
ChrisNYC Offline

Loc: Brooklyn, New Yawk
"You've got questions, we've got blank stares." eek

#295881 - 18/03/06 02:52 AM Re: wire splice/tap?
ChuckH Offline

Loc: Seattle, WA
There's actually a better way to do that. It's called a "T Tap" and basically you just put a connector on the wire you are tapping into. Then on the other wire you put a mating connector. The beauty of these things is that they are much easier to work with and you can disconnect and reconnect easily if you need to. The ones you guys are talking about are a PITA to put in. I can never get both the wires into the right position at the same time and then get the pliers over the son of a bitch while holding them there; especially in tight places. The "T Taps" allow you to deal with just one wire at a time and then just snap the bastages together! They are also more secure! This picture shows what I'm talking about. You can get them through

Waytek Wire Company

Moderator:  Adam, fastdrmr, Gonzo-2, Smith 

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal