Anyone ever hear of them (MG) NOT putting out the rated amps? I have the 180A. I have a fairly large stereo but nothing I would call crazy. I can turn up the volume to maybe 40% and the lights still flicker and you can noticeably hear the engine slow when it is idling. If I turn up the stereo to let’s say 60%ish my lights damn near blink and it sounds like the engine is about to turn off. Even when I am driving highway speeds, at 45~50% the lights still flicker. I don’t run my high beams usually, I don’t have any added off road, driving, or fog lights, no power inverters or computers (not in this case anyway) air compressor for the locker off, no CB… just a more or less stock X with a damn expensive alternator that I feel should be keeping up better. I have upgraded the stock wiring all over to 2AWG. I obviously have a much larger battery also (see sig) I also have 0AWG from Alt to batt to stereo. I have tried with and without caps… they seem to help with initial bass thumps but still flicker. I haven’t put my system on an ammeter nor have I had the alternator tested. Taking the alt off/on is kinda a PITA.
2004 World Champ - 4x4 Man Trans - Silver - 3"SL+2"BL - Revolvers - Rancho RS9000XL's - Rancho RS5000 stab w/IAB - ARB rear locker - 34" BFG MT's Soft 8's - Blood red Shrock Sliders - Mean Green 180A - Optima 31 Bluetop - U-bolt skids - Hz+dB's