Glim, ChossWrangler, Patman, ChargedX, Randy Howerton
10084 Registered Users
Recent Posts
ECXC 2024!
by Tom
10/05/24 09:56 AM
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 234 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#312591 - 30/07/01 07:30 AM What A Difference!
Dutch Offline

Loc: Louisville KY USA
Wow. I replaced my speakers this wknd what a difference! Put Alpine SPR-175A components in front, Polk DX-9 in rear. Love 'em. Didn't realize how lousy stock speakers were til the new ones went in. And man it was easy- 2 hours, 4 beers = total installation time. That was my first upgrade to my Xterra and now I'm hooked, can't wait to make other mods. I now understand why alot of you love dumping so much money into juicing up your rides. Just don't know what to do next. This website has definitely given me alot of inspiration and a new hobby to spend my money on. Thanks!

------------------

#312592 - 30/07/01 08:15 AM Re: What A Difference!
RMIN1 Offline

Loc: East Rutherford, NJ, USA
Are you using the stock radio?

------------------
2001 XE 3pack
Just Blue
"STEP ASIDE"

#312593 - 30/07/01 09:02 AM Re: What A Difference!
gearhead1972 Offline

Loc: Brewster NY
great choice on front speakers thats what I put in and love them they sound very real and smooth. http://superblackxterra.tripod.com/audio.html

------------------
Kevin
00' Super Black SE 5 speed
superblackxterra.tripod.com

#312594 - 30/07/01 09:03 AM Re: What A Difference!
Dutch Offline

RMIN1- yes I still am using stock radio. I was thinking about switching it out but now I'm not so sure. I don't think I need to. Rather buy new tires instead.

------------------

#312595 - 30/07/01 09:06 AM Re: What A Difference!
XXXTERRA Offline

Loc: Toronto, Ont. Canada
Well Dutch now that you are hooked, the mobile audio bug is very difficult to shake off.

You will soon realize that although your new speakers sound great, you will quickly want more power. A small 30x30 Watt amp, or even a decent head unit will add an entirely different dimension to the sound coming out of those speakers.

If you're tight on cash(like everyone I guess), I would recommend getting the a quality amp first. The reason being,
1- an amp is an easy add-on
2- the power supplied by an amp is much cleaner and powerful then most any head units
3- you will maintain your stock controls.

If you're looking to replace your head unit, do some research and know what you are shopping for. There are many different types of head units all with there own advantages and disadvantages. If you have the cash though, get them both at the same time.

------------------
Visit our club http://www.soxc.org
My web page. http://www.members.home.net/linossiy/frame2.htm Updated

#312596 - 30/07/01 10:26 AM Re: What A Difference!
Jbird Offline

Loc: des moines, ia
From reading prior posts (no real knowledge myself), your new speakers will be easier to blow-out because the stock stereo doesn't supply enough amps. I would think an amp would go hand-in-hand when replacing stock speakers. Someone with more knowledge please chime in.

------------------
"An honest tune with a lingering lead that's taken me this far"

#312597 - 30/07/01 10:41 AM Re: What A Difference!
Dutch Offline

Thanks XXXtera. I think I will get a small amp, but probably for the fronts only. Don't really want to change the head unit. But then again I originally was only going to spend $100- $150.

------------------

Moderator:  Adam, fastdrmr, Gonzo-2, Smith 

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal