Glim, ChossWrangler, Patman, ChargedX, Randy Howerton
10084 Registered Users
Recent Posts
ECXC 2024!
by Tom
23/04/24 04:27 PM
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 131 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#297858 - 02/09/01 10:13 AM Magnetic Antenna Mounts
pepper kay Offline

Loc: TX
I'm ready to install my CB and ham radio and wonder if anyone has experience with mag mounts ? ...

I don't want to drill holes in the roof of my truck so hope a mag mount is a viable alternative ...

The few I've seen appear to be substantial enough but I've no experience with them and wonder if they really will hold the antenna secure to the roof of the truck ...

Can you put an easy-over mount between the mag and the antenna base ?? ...

Suggestions ?? ...

Thanks,

#297859 - 02/09/01 10:21 AM Re: Magnetic Antenna Mounts
defibvt Offline

Loc: AZ
Pepper, I have used magnetic mounts in the past and they work very well. The only thing to watch for is to not scratch the paint.

As for an easy over, I am not sure if you can put one on a magnetic mount.

#297860 - 02/09/01 10:25 AM Re: Magnetic Antenna Mounts
catering chef Offline

Loc: Burnsville,MN
when i was younger I used mag mounts and i found them to move and Scratch the paint.
I have a cargo basket on my X I used a side mirror cb mount to the left rear of the basket with an easy over, ran the cable down the inside of the hatch to the rear lights then into the truck thru the left rear brake light under the carpet and back seat to the front seat. I have a cobra 75. it is solid driving at 70mph with alittle whistle at 15mph. works great!
what kind of ham are you installing? 10 meter or 2 meter?
whats your call sign?

[ 09-02-2001: Message edited by: catering chef ]

#297861 - 02/09/01 10:26 AM Re: Magnetic Antenna Mounts
Griffin's_Girl Offline

Pepper,
Jack uses a mag mount for his Ham so that he can take it off when he goes in the parking garage at work and also so he can transfer between vehicles. So far no problems! I don't know what brand he has, etc. (I'm sure he'll reply), but it's been very strong. We haven't had a problem with it during trips to Dallas (over 80mph in the X, almost 120mph in the rental car) or when Jack took it to Broken Bow.

I think Jack is looking to change over to something like what Walt has. I think he has one that clamps on to the back hatch.

Anyway... that probably doesn't help... but in my opinion they are very secure.

[ 09-02-2001: Message edited by: Griffin's_Girl ]

#297862 - 02/09/01 10:56 AM Re: Magnetic Antenna Mounts
Griffin2020 Offline

Loc: D/FW Metroplex, TX
So, I guess you are ready to get your ticket, huh? Or, have you already written the test?

I do have a mag mount. I place the mount just in front of the front roof rack crossbar on the X and have never had it move, even in traffic at 80 mph. I route the cable throught the weather seal on the back door. I have never had any water enter there, either.

Walt has a mount with an easy over that looks like it simply clamps to the top of the hatch. My advice would be go to Allcom or Texas Towers and talk to them. They can advise you as to the best route to take.

#297863 - 02/09/01 12:24 PM Re: Magnetic Antenna Mounts
pepper kay Offline

Thanks for the response, y'all ...

I take the test this Thursday night ...

I put together a nifty sheet steel (very thin) doodad, bolted to the cargo basket, for the mag mount(s) to sit on ...

Tried it this morning and had to get my ladder to get above the basket before I could pull the mag off ... doing it this way saves paint as it doesn't touch the sheet metal anywhere ...

I'm not a happy camper with All.Com right now, so will look elsewhere ...

When the SWXC boys get back from GOX, I'll double check Walter's and Carlton's mountings ... I know Walts' sits right at the rear hatch ...

I'll post some pictures of what I've done later this afternoon ...

Thanks again ...

#297864 - 02/09/01 03:08 PM Re: Magnetic Antenna Mounts
Griffin's_Girl Offline

Jack said it has to be grounded.

(Don't know why... he just told me to post that...) smile

#297865 - 02/09/01 05:01 PM Re: Magnetic Antenna Mounts
pepper kay Offline

Heather: If you have the chance, would you ask Jack how that's to be done ? ...

I see the mag mount with the antenna cable running out of it, ending in the connector to hook up to the radio ... I don't see anything else ...

As an aside, how's the work coming on your beauty ? ... call me if I can be of help - go look at it for you, keep 'em in line or whatever ...

#297866 - 02/09/01 07:11 PM Re: Magnetic Antenna Mounts
gmaxis Offline

Loc: America's Finest city
I also have a magnetic-mount antenna which I got from Radio Shack. Does well in speeds in excess of 75 mph. It fell down once when I let my friend drive my X and entered a parking structure hitting the clearance marker. Good thing it didn't leave any scratches.

#297867 - 02/09/01 07:14 PM Re: Magnetic Antenna Mounts
Tony Napolitano Offline

Loc: Franklin Square, NY
I believe he's referring to the antenna "touching" or grounded to metal. For the antenna to work properly, it has to be grounded or connected to something on the vehicle that is grounded.

Interesting to know how many other ham radio operators are on this board...my call is N2XJS.

Good luck,
Tony

#297868 - 02/09/01 09:30 PM Re: Magnetic Antenna Mounts
Kerensky97 Offline

Loc: Utah
CB Antennas need to be grounded.
Thats why you get better performance with a bolt on mount, it has a direct connection to grounded metal.
Magnetic mounts have paint between the antenna and chassis.

I'd recomend a bolt on, even if you have to screw into the body.
Besides its not a real mod unless you have to cut up the X. wink

Xterra101.com

#297869 - 03/09/01 07:49 PM Re: Magnetic Antenna Mounts
Griffin's_Girl Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by pepper kay:
Heather: If you have the chance, would you ask Jack how that's to be done ? ...

As an aside, how's the work coming on your beauty ? ... call me if I can be of help - go look at it for you, keep 'em in line or whatever ...

He said you'd have to run a ground wire from that piece of metal on your basket. It's recommended though that you mount it on the body of the vehicle for grounding. (Why he can't post this stuff himself, I have no idea! lol)

As far as my baby... she's ready to go, except no grille. I've spoken with the foreman at the shop and he's been really great! (Calls me back when he says he's going to!) He said he wanted to go ahead and do as much as he could on it so when the grille is available it will just be a 30 minute job. Problem is, the grille is on deep national backorder (according to Steve R.) so it's a waiting game at this point.

I just hope I have her back before the wedding... I was planning on getting "family" pics for the SWXC webpage! smile

Thank you so much for your offer though... looks like I got a shop that didn't need to be poked and prodded! But if you happen upon an '02 grille.... laugh

[ 09-03-2001: Message edited by: Griffin's_Girl ]

Moderator:  Adam, fastdrmr, Gonzo-2, Smith 

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal