Glim, ChossWrangler, Patman, ChargedX, Randy Howerton
10084 Registered Users
Recent Posts
ECXC 2024!
by Tom
23/04/24 04:27 PM
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 131 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#87757 - 23/09/01 03:09 PM How strong is the side bars..?? =)
Bobby Offline

Loc: 3small city
OK =)

I have my X torn apart right now. I have one question tho =)

For this interested in putting lights up top, heres what I've done so far:

I removed the entire right side of the rack, i think it was 8 Torx screws total. I saw in the front part of the brace, where the gasket covers (very easily evident), and drilled, DONT DRILL IN RAIN CHANNEL!. Drilled perfect little hole, and put a grommet, ran all my wires, installed a trailer harness for a quick disconect, and siliconed up the hole.. Heres my question.

My light bar has 4 lights, and the bar itself, and the mounts lighted, are all very sturdy.. I estimate it weighs maybe 10 pounds.. Are the bolt holes, and 6mm bolts that will attach the light bar, to the side bars, strong enough to hold this much weight? The last thing I want is for the bolts to break and have my lightbar fall off at 60mph (LOL), or under hard breaking, etc.

I'm pretty sure it will be strong enough, but I do have worries, and would like an educated opionon =)

THANKS
BOBBY

#87758 - 23/09/01 09:11 PM Re: How strong is the side bars..?? =)
Bobby Offline

Loc: 3small city
Well.. I've finished it all up. Looks damn nice. Have my 4 wallmart off road lights up top, with their cute little rock guards on them.

Ran the wire, drilled the hole, ran wires down the right side A pillar trim, grounded the necessary wires in a VERY nice ground spot in the right kickpanel, ran the power wires under carpet, through the firewall on the drivers side... VERY EASY! I simple put a coat hanger through the part of hte firewall, where the HUGE BUNCH of wires comes though, and duct taped my 2 power wires to the coat hanger, and pulled it back through, they came through with NO problem. Routed the wires through the engine bay, to the relays, etc.

Anyways.. as for the light-bar. It feels very solid. I have a emergency-vehicle kit thing (air pump, huge flashlight, etc) that I keep up top in the built in basket, and it just so happens to have fit exactly under the light bar, so it perfectly rests on that, in addiotion of course to the two bolt ins on the side. It seems pretty secure.

I'm just not sure about how much forces will be against it, like on fast speed highway, or really sharp braking or turns, or just over time.

I took the truck out, did some donuts (hehe in gravel) and some sharp turns, hard braking, to see if the lights would break off... but they all stayed on =) Looks badass hehe, i will make some pictures tomorrow.

but i really would like to hear comments on how strong the 6mm bolts are on the side mounts =)

ADIOS
BOBBY

#87759 - 23/09/01 09:44 PM Re: How strong is the side bars..?? =)
superjens Offline

Loc: North Vancouver
Bobby, I'd love to see some pics, I'm planning on doing the same light bar mod soon. Do you have a picture of where you drilled the hole? That's my only concern at this point. Your quick disconnect stays on the outside or inside (of the truck)?

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal