Glim, ChossWrangler, Patman, ChargedX, Randy Howerton
10084 Registered Users
Recent Posts
ECXC 2024!
by Tom
23/04/24 04:27 PM
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 89 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#58219 - 03/04/03 12:17 PM Turbos
AceMcCloudKat Offline

Loc: Walla Walla, WA
Anyone out there know of any good custom turbo companies. Since the 3.3 litre is a relatively new engine there isn't a whole lot out there and it's a lot of work to go with two T4s and probably more than I can handle at with that kind of gain. I've looked through european sites already, since over there people are already racing them, but I'm not having much luck.
Thanks,
Kat

#58220 - 03/04/03 12:28 PM Re: Turbos
NismoXse02 Offline

Loc: The Woodlands, TX
Quote:
Originally posted by AceMcCloudKat:
Since the 3.3 litre is a relatively new engine
This engine came from the old pathfinders, I believe.

#58221 - 03/04/03 12:33 PM Re: Turbos
AceMcCloudKat Offline

Well, if it did then I'm sure missing it, because I can't find turbos for that. Of course, every company just makes turbos for 4 cyl. hondas now. I've laready been putting Hondas to shame with a few intake mods. They are weak, LOL! The element of surprise is always a lot of fun. They figure it's some clunky SUV that can't move. My old 95' Explorer we did major mods under the hood (no warrenty to worry about voiding), but there was no sign of it outside. They all assumed those scoops were fakies. Too bad for them they didn't know there was 450 ponies under that hood. LOL
Kat

#58222 - 03/04/03 06:03 PM Re: Turbos
chocalx Offline

Loc: Silver Spring, MD, USA
yup!
I have also looked around for any turbo kit or shops for my X or the 3.3L nissan engine. Unfortunatlly no luck, because this particula engine was in no other street (not SUV or Truck)application like a maxima or skyline and not much intrest in turbocharging them.
Mr Turbo here in Maryland quoted around $4500 for a custom fab. Not worth it.
So by doing a little number crunching on the engine specs, I will shortlly try to make my own twin turbo setup, using two rear turbos from the toyota Supra 2jzgte engines.
That should be capable to boost 8-12 psi from 2500 up to 6200 rpm. I intend to keep it at or under 9 psi looking for 220-230hp at the wheels.
I plan to finish this project en early June.
It just started to warm up here in Maryland + It is vary tight in the engine bay, trimmig the wheel wells might take a while, hopefully the 3" body lift will help.
Chocalx laugh

I have a buddy That has a 95 Civic modified like crazy dynoed at 319hp at the wheels. Big time SLEEPER Underdog wink eats corvettes for brakefast [Finger]

#58223 - 03/04/03 07:08 PM Re: Turbos
03SYXPilot Offline

Loc: DE
I can't even find parts for the Supercharged engine that has been out for 2 years. No one has even come up with a chip for the VG line yet!! I guess no-ones buying an Xterra to hop it up (just hopping it up and over).

Now proud owner of a '05 Mazda 3 HB!!

#58224 - 03/04/03 07:47 PM Re: Turbos
Strom Offline

Loc: Los Angeles, CA
The VG33E has been in multiple vehicles. The Pathfinder, the Frontier, the Infiniti QX4, and the Quest. The VG30E (displacement is the basic difference) has been in the 300ZX, the Maxima, the Pathfinder, the Mercury Villager, the 200sx, the Infiniti M30, the Nissan Pickups, etc. It has also been in many more vehicles in Japan, though I'm not sure which ones.

Personally, I would start by looking at what the VG30E and VG30ET 300zx guys (these are the '83 to '89) do to make their engines run with turbos in high-power applications with pump gas. Then I would look at the difference between the VG30ET and VG33E engines and see what changes need to be made.

Finally, remember that plenty of people out there have put Superchargers on VG33E engines. There are a few companies who have done it in the past with the QX4 and the Pathfinder, the factory did it in the Frontier and the Xterra, and now an aftermarket company is going to be doing it:

http://home.austin.rr.com/tone/sc.htm

It adds 49 hp and 39 ft/lbs torque at the wheels. Apparently, they will also have other kits with possibilities for higher power. They might include items such as intercoolers, smaller pullies, and stand alone engine management (a Unichip). See the discussion here:

http://www.xterraownersclub.com/cgi-local/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=70;t=000053;p=1

The cost of making a high-horsepower turbo setup would probably be far more than that of working with Alpine Development in making a high-horsepower supercharger setup. The supercharger setup would probably also be more reliable.

If you're still determined to do a turbo setup, remember that running lean is your worst enemy. Give it LOTS of fuel...very premium fuel.

#58225 - 03/04/03 07:51 PM Re: Turbos
ChuckH Offline

Loc: Seattle, WA
Well, there's a reason nobody has turbo kits for this engine or just about any other truck application that I know of . That reason is demand.

There is virtually no demand for turbo kits for use in SUV's and trucks. Most anyone with an SUV or truck will be looking for a supercharger. Reason for this is that turbos just don't work well in gasoline powered truck applications. Trucks and SUV's demand instant low end torque and since they also are hauling and towing you don't want something that gets that hot. Towing with turbos on a gasoline engine is a great way to melt things in the engine compartment. The other thing is that not too many people desire to travel at high rates of speed in something that is top heavy, has poor handling,has high wind resistence, and runs on 90 MPH max. tires so the top end power of a turbo is scratched in favor of the low end off the line grunt of the supercharger.

#58226 - 04/04/03 05:39 PM Re: Turbos
AceMcCloudKat Offline

LOL,
I figured I was gonna have hell finding the kind of equipment I need to do what I want with the Xterra, but that didn't stop me. I've done plenty of off-raoding and I mean crazy shit in vehicles that should have never have been there. Recently I just changed my style to racing and show, and I bought the X for her looks not her engine. I have devised with a little help a twin turbo system as well, but now it's just finding the right tuning for T4s. Our local R-Option guy is really excited because he actually thinks he's going to get to touch it. There is even a possibility of replacing the current 3.3 with a skyline engine. That's an arm and a leg, but if it means less risk to the rest of the mods than using the T4s then I might do it. Might as well make the project difficult, or what's the fun in it. I have some sponsering from Unicity Network so I have some slack. But I'm waiting for my fiancee to finish his '66 cobra replicar before I move into the garage for major modification.
Kat

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal