Glim, ChossWrangler, Patman, ChargedX, Randy Howerton
10084 Registered Users
Recent Posts
ECXC 2024!
by Tom
10/05/24 09:56 AM
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 232 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#72312 - 04/04/03 10:46 AM SLR AAL with or without overload spring
rfritz Offline

Loc: Indianapolis
I know, I know, it is made to replace the overload leaf, but, when I installed mine, the front suspension was WAY stiffer than the rear. Also - I could stand on my rear bumper and move the rear up and down with almost no resistance. So, I re-installed the overload leaf at the bottom of the spring pack. The original load leaf is longer than the two smallest SLR leafs. My idea is to bob the ends of the original load leaf so it is just smaller then the smallest SLR leaf. There is not way I am going to take out this leaf as the suspension is way to soft. Does anyone have any suggestions on what to do? I am getting ready to take it somewhere and have a new springpack made with a lift in it as this is getting ready to turn into a fiasco, [Wave] I can see it coming......

#72313 - 06/04/03 07:35 AM Re: SLR AAL with or without overload spring
Ag_xterra Offline

Loc: San Antonio, TX
get bilstein shocks. they are stiffer than stock. i'd recommend getting the ones for use without rear sway bar and for lifted rear suspension.

#72314 - 06/04/03 10:30 AM Re: SLR AAL with or without overload spring
Deathmark Offline

Loc: Las Vegas
Are you running stock shocks?

I have the Rancho AAL's with the Rancho RS9000's and it is WAY stiffer than before.....

#72315 - 06/04/03 11:07 AM Re: SLR AAL with or without overload spring
ChuckH Offline

Loc: Seattle, WA
FYI, if you were to make the rear springs as stiff as the fronts the truck would be virtually undriveable. The back end would be super skittish and oversteer would be bad. Increasing the arch in the spring pack does make the springs more "springy" but I wouldn't consider this a problem. The +20% Bilsteins will control the action beautifully and you will get a nice ride and super control. The front has to be more stiff to support the weight of the engine and bumper and winch if you have them. Also, while it feels very different when stopped, the difference should not be as noticeable on the road when the weight of the front end is pushing harder on the front end than you can in the driveway.

I can't imagine that the load leaf does anything for you unless you are loading up 800 lbs of stuff in the back. You probably have 3 inches or more of travel before it would impact the spring firmness.

FWIW, I can load all my gear in the back and it has very little effect on the rear springs with the SLR AAL's and the axle control by the AAL's and Bilsteins is far superior to how the truck came from the factory. SHe rides and handles like a dream!

It did just occur to me that you have the 2 leaf spring pack on the 2002. Perhaps that is making it even softer than mine. Still, it should be pretty flexible. To be honest, I thought it was pretty springy at first too but now I've gotten used to it and everything has settled in so it rides great.

#72316 - 06/04/03 11:09 AM Re: SLR AAL with or without overload spring
OffroadX Offline

Loc: Baltimore, MD
The overload leaf should have zero effect on the suspension stiffness etc, it only adds 3/4" of height. It only comes into play when the main leaves are compressed to the point they lay on the overload leaf.

Brent

Tip: see if your question has already been answered before asking it. Try our handy-dandy search tool!

#72317 - 06/04/03 11:18 AM Re: SLR AAL with or without overload spring
Craigs_Tonka Offline

Loc: Phoenix, AZ
I agree with ChuckH. First of all, the 3 AAL system adds a great amount of load carrying capacity. The top end of the springs are still stock and therefore give you a decent ride. When you add weight the lower springs come into play and support that weight. I have never been able to load my truck down enough that a load leveler spring would even come into play. The reason you remove it is that it is pretty much worthless if you were to put it back on. The system was designed to carry the weight and not need the load leveler spring.

When you are jumping up and down on the back end, the load leveler spring wouldn't be doing anything. You would have to load it down enough to flatten out your springs or bottom out hard enough to hit it, (something that was easy to do with the stock springs, but nearly impossible with the 3 AAL system).

Shocks is what limits the bounce that you are talking about. If you put the 20% stiffer Bilsteins, you won't have a problem with the bounce and it will stiffen it up enough that you will notice a difference in your jumping bounce test as well as your ride.

Also, how far do you have your torsion bars cranked. If you cranked them against the bumpstops, it will be incredibly stiff because you have to downward travel left. Your ride will suck and you'll feel every crack in the road. If you are leaving about 3/4" to 1" to the bumpstops and go with the Bilsteins and 3 AAL in the rear your ride will be balanced very nicely.

FWIW, I've installed about 8 sets of these AAL in all sorts of variations and everyone has been VERY impressed and happy with the ride and load carry capabilities.

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal