Glim, ChossWrangler, Patman, ChargedX, Randy Howerton
10084 Registered Users
Recent Posts
ECXC 2024!
by Tom
10/05/24 09:56 AM
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 232 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#70375 - 20/06/03 03:54 PM Calmini Rear Bumper Help Please...
Sgt_Lobo Offline

Loc: Ocean Springs, MS
I recieved my new Calmini rear bumper with tire carrier today. It looks great, super solid. Anyhow, Calmini did not feel the need to include instructions with the bumper. So, I'm sitting here with the bumper, the carrier, a huge bag full of nuts and bolts, and no idea where to begin... :rolleyes:

If anyone has installed this, any help would be appreciated. If anyone has done a how-to on the bumper install, that would be even better!

Thanks for any help.

Jim

#70376 - 20/06/03 04:07 PM Re: Calmini Rear Bumper Help Please...
ChuckH Offline

Loc: Seattle, WA
Did you check their website or Xterraparts?

THere really shouldn't be that many bolts. Should be six bolts and nuts for mounting to the frame, two bolts and nuts (I think) for the tire mount, a few small nuts and bolts for the license palte holder, and then the parts and bolt for the pivot bushings.

Did Calmini modify the design to work with your 3" body lift or did you already figure out how to deal with that?

#70377 - 20/06/03 04:08 PM Re: Calmini Rear Bumper Help Please...
XOC Offline
Admin

Loc: Minneapolis, MN
Take the old bumper off.
Put the new bumper on. laugh

Seriously, the stock bumper comes off easily, there are 3 bolts on each side that thread to a plate. Look underneath to get the license plate lights off before dropping the bumper.

Once that's off, the new bumper slides right in and bolts through the same holes. The brace attaches to the crossmember at the rear. Then the carrier attaches.

I'm just making this up from those that I have seen, but it never seemed like a difficult job to figure out which parts go where, and which fasteners fasten what.

#70378 - 20/06/03 04:35 PM Re: Calmini Rear Bumper Help Please...
Sgt_Lobo Offline

Thanks Ian, you nailed it. :rolleyes:

Okay, after looking at this thing for awhile there are only a few parts that I haven't figured out yet.

1. A 1.5" x 5.5" piece of steal with two holes drilled in it.

2. A 1.5" x 2.5" piece of plastic with two holes in it, and one end is tapered.

And after looking at Xterraparts.com, it seems I am missing some hardware as well. I am missing the round nob/latch handle, 3 or 4 nuts, and some washers.

Chuck, with my lift I have to use a plasma cutter and notch the bumper in 2 spots. Not too big a deal.

#70379 - 20/06/03 04:46 PM Re: Calmini Rear Bumper Help Please...
ChuckH Offline

Loc: Seattle, WA
I forgot about the center brace...duh!

Not sure what the spring is for. Rrdstarr would know...might email or PM him. Seems like that should go at the other end for the latch though?

DId I here something about a plasma cutter? laugh Want any extra projects? laugh laugh

#70380 - 20/06/03 04:49 PM Re: Calmini Rear Bumper Help Please...
Sgt_Lobo Offline

Edited my post above...

And the spring is for the latch, they just stuck it on the long bolt to confuse me... In which they succeded. [Freak]

#70381 - 21/06/03 01:45 AM Re: Calmini Rear Bumper Help Please...
rrdstarr Offline

Loc: Tacoma
Quote:
Originally posted by ChuckH:
I forgot about the center brace...duh!

Not sure what the spring is for. Rrdstarr would know...might email or PM him. Seems like that should go at the other end for the latch though?

DId I here something about a plasma cutter? laugh Want any extra projects? laugh laugh
Hey Sarge just send me a photo of the parts you are talking about. Sounds like it maybe the parts that go in place of the sparetire winch?

-Rick

#70382 - 22/06/03 07:39 PM Re: Calmini Rear Bumper Help Please...
KCX Offline

Loc: Kansas
Hey SgtLobo....I was interested purchasing the Calmini rear bumper too, but since I have a 2" BL, I didn't want to get it yet till I knew for sure I could modify it to work with the BL I have. I know you have a 3" lift, so I would like to know what are you doing with the bumper to make it work. Especially, the brace that attaches from the bumper to the stock spare tire location...are you just fabing a new piece of steel for that?

In the past, I asked about how you did your ARB for the BL....thanks again for the help on that one!

#70383 - 22/06/03 08:33 PM Re: Calmini Rear Bumper Help Please...
EMT_Diver Offline

Loc: USA
-LOBO- call Steve K @ Calmini.com 800-345-3305 , I just went through some of this and decided not to call and ended up being pissed off for no needed reason. Steve was AWESOME and very understanding. Because of the great customer service I have received from Calmini I'm now going to get the front bumper and torsion bars.

Call them, they will listen and help , trust me.

me .02

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal