2002 Door Opening Trim
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:32 PM
XOC Still Lives
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:31 PM
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 139 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#79623 - 19/08/04 09:24 PM calmini roof rack
Anonymous
Unregistered

looking around for a way to mount some lights up top, came across a bar that fits on the stock rack but didnt really like it that much. Has anyone heard much about the calmini rack? I thought i heard it comes with wires already ran thru the bars for the lights but can not find anything that proves this to be true. Any info??

#79624 - 19/08/04 11:07 PM Re: calmini roof rack
Anonymous
Unregistered

It's true, the Calmini rack has pre-wired mounts for lights. It's a damn nice rack. I can't say enough good things about it, and only a couple of bad things.

#79625 - 19/08/04 11:21 PM Re: calmini roof rack
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by Shahram:
It's a damn nice rack. I can't say enough good things about it, and only a couple of bad things.
Do tell...

#79626 - 20/08/04 06:01 AM Re: calmini roof rack
Carlton McMillan Offline

Loc: MN
It has tabs for light but is not pre wired. And yes it is a very strong rack and I have been very pleased with mine.

I can directly attach the Yakima stuff to it. I have a high lift attached to it (using the con-ferr mounts) and I use it as a platform for my ham radio antenne.

#79627 - 20/08/04 07:38 AM Re: calmini roof rack
Anonymous
Unregistered

I see only one bad thing about it: $489!

#79628 - 20/08/04 09:52 AM Re: calmini roof rack
Anonymous
Unregistered

I actually think that price is decent... i mean you get a playpin for 300 and its just a small freaken rack/cage. the calmini is the whole deal...

#79629 - 20/08/04 11:14 AM Re: calmini roof rack
Anonymous
Unregistered

Carlton, yours may not be pre-wired, but mine is. The wire starts right behind the front bar, is threaded through the inside, down the left front pillar.

The only minuses to this rack are no basket and no floor, but those are easily remedied by a little visit to Home Depot or the local steel shop and some big zip ties (thanks for the idea Carlton).

The positive things about the rack are too many to name here, but most importantly are strong materials, really clean strong welds, increased carrying capacity (carries all my light and bulky stuff, like thick sleeping mats, folding chairs, duffels with clothes/bedding, etc.), and I can stack two rows of wide surfboards side-by-side, and feel confident that I'm not overstressing some plastic part that may fail or sheer in the wind.

To some, $489.00 seems a bit steep. I happened to get mine at a very good price, but I was lucky. Having used it for a while, I assure you it is well worth the money Calmini is charging for it, especially when you consider that similar racks made by Hannibal, Safety Devices, etc. for Land Rovers or Land Cruisers start at $1,100.00.

#79630 - 20/08/04 12:13 PM Re: calmini roof rack
Anonymous
Unregistered

I still think they need to offer one that is extended up front. Not all of us have a sunroof that we don't want covered up.

#79631 - 20/08/04 01:23 PM Re: calmini roof rack
Close1 Offline

Loc: Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally posted by skaggs396:
I still think they need to offer one that is extended up front. Not all of us have a sunroof that we don't want covered up.
I concur wink

#79632 - 20/08/04 05:02 PM Re: calmini roof rack
rrdstarr Offline

Loc: Tacoma
Yep, I would want it without the sunroof hole and a complete floor!

-Rick

#79633 - 20/08/04 07:59 PM Re: calmini roof rack
Anonymous
Unregistered

Well it sounds to be a good choice, guess I know what to ask santa for. About the wiring that was mentioned, did you ask for it to come that way????

#79634 - 21/08/04 01:03 AM Re: calmini roof rack
Anonymous
Unregistered

Nope, it just came that way. I'm not sure why Carlton's wasn't pre-wired...maybe his was an earlier version. I notice mine also has more light/accessory mounts built in at the front, not sure why.

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal