2002 Door Opening Trim
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:32 PM
XOC Still Lives
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:31 PM
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 134 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#65287 - 17/05/06 02:46 PM Aires Front Bumper Guard- Help!
Anonymous
Unregistered

Just received an Aires Front Bumper Guard for my 05 XTERRA and, needless to say, the directions were useless. I had no problem mounting it to the frame. Everything's lined up and it looks great. Only problem is the "optional" support brackets that didn't come with directions. The whole bar shakes side to side (nothing major, not hitting truck at all, but it's all I can see when I'm driving.) I believe I have to mount the extra brackets to the space just under the grille which means the grille has to come off... Anybody know how to do that without damaging anything? ( like those little plastic clips on the top of the grille?) frown

#65288 - 17/05/06 04:22 PM Re: Aires Front Bumper Guard- Help!
TJ Offline

Loc: Lawrenceville, NJ, USA
I believe you slide a screw driver into the gap on the clip, and pry it down to release it...but they use a few different fasteners it seems.

The direcitons with those things are typically horrendous.

laugh

If you get under the truck, and look up and out through the grill, or in the direction as if you could...you should see what you are looking for.

It may be possible to do this w/o removing the grill.

As an aside, I'd just send it back, as brush guards are typically bought because they look like they will protect the truck/look tough....but, they do not protect the truck - as in accidents they fold back and damage parts that would have been ok...and off road, they kill your approach angle....so they don't do what you probably though they do.

Just my 2 cents...You are of course under no obligation to act upon my opinion, and are free to enjoy your Grill Guard.

laugh

2001 Xterra '03 VG33, SE 5 spd, 305/70/16's, Revolvers, UBSkidderz, Doubled AAL's, 3"SL/2"BL, winch/bumpers, skids, sliders, OBA, Snorkel, pine stripes....

Friends don't let friends drive stock.

http://www.gifsoup.com/view/501230/tj-tackling-crawlers-ridge-o.gif

#65289 - 17/05/06 04:59 PM Re: Aires Front Bumper Guard- Help!
Anonymous
Unregistered

To remove the grill;

-Use a small flat head screw driver and pop up the centers of the 6 (I think) pins.
-Once the center is popped up, pry up on the pin it's self and it should pull out.
-Once the pins are removed, pull the grill forward and reach down in and released the 4 clips that hold it to the top of the bumper. The clips pull up to release and are rather hard to get to.
-Grill should then just pull out.

Edit: I also agree with TJ, for what you paid for the grill guard, you are probably 3/4 of the way to buying a real bumper.

#65290 - 17/05/06 07:16 PM Re: Aires Front Bumper Guard- Help!
Anonymous
Unregistered

Thanks very much for the replies. I'll give it a shot ASAP. As far as the functionality of the bumper guard, don't worry, I'm a realist. It's pretty much for aesthetics. Since the truck's my primary mode of transportation I'm not planning on going on any trails that can get outta hand. I greatly appreciate the quick responses...

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal