Glim, ChossWrangler, Patman, ChargedX, Randy Howerton
10084 Registered Users
Recent Posts
ECXC 2024!
by Tom
10/05/24 09:56 AM
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 232 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#57368 - 12/02/07 09:55 AM Check your Skid Row bumpers!
Anonymous
Unregistered

A couple of months ago, my Hi-Lift broke off my SR bumper and fell into traffic nearly causing an accident and put a good size dent into my rear hatch. Turns out it broke off the mount and was welded to the tire carrier. The whole thing just snapped off. Eric at SR fabbed a new bolt on bracket and shipped it out to me. It's much stronger than the old bar that the Hi-Lift bolted to. Anyway, I was putting some camera gear in the back yeterday and gave the carrier a quick once over while it was open. I found a huge crack in the metal where the latch in bolted to It's about halfway through the length of the metal and all the way though the width. Maybe it's all the desert running that I do, but it just doesn't seem like it's holding up over the long haul. Check yours before it fails. For what it's worth I carry a 33x10.5x15 on a steel rim and one (most of the time) empty gas can plus the jack.

#57369 - 12/02/07 10:00 AM Re: Check your Skid Row bumpers!
TJ Offline

Loc: Lawrenceville, NJ, USA
I'm partial to Shrock...but S-R's stuff I've had over the years (My jeeping too...) is typically really well made...maybe you backed it into something?

confused

2001 Xterra '03 VG33, SE 5 spd, 305/70/16's, Revolvers, UBSkidderz, Doubled AAL's, 3"SL/2"BL, winch/bumpers, skids, sliders, OBA, Snorkel, pine stripes....

Friends don't let friends drive stock.

http://www.gifsoup.com/view/501230/tj-tackling-crawlers-ridge-o.gif

#57370 - 12/02/07 10:12 AM Re: Check your Skid Row bumpers!
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by TJ:
I'm partial to Shrock...but S-R's stuff I've had over the years (My jeeping too...) is typically really well made...maybe you backed it into something?

confused
Nope.

#57371 - 12/02/07 10:18 AM Re: Check your Skid Row bumpers!
Anonymous
Unregistered

I will check mine later...

Which latch portion... on the swing arm or the latch on the bumper it self.

#57372 - 12/02/07 10:19 AM Re: Check your Skid Row bumpers!
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by Alpine Spirit:
I will check mine later...

Which latch portion... on the swing arm or the latch on the bumper it self.
On the swing arm. Might as well check the Hi-Lift mount too.

#57373 - 12/02/07 12:28 PM Re: Check your Skid Row bumpers!
TJ Offline

Loc: Lawrenceville, NJ, USA
So - you figure its a stress fracture then?

What planes are it twisting in?/What is placing the force on it?

2001 Xterra '03 VG33, SE 5 spd, 305/70/16's, Revolvers, UBSkidderz, Doubled AAL's, 3"SL/2"BL, winch/bumpers, skids, sliders, OBA, Snorkel, pine stripes....

Friends don't let friends drive stock.

http://www.gifsoup.com/view/501230/tj-tackling-crawlers-ridge-o.gif

#57374 - 12/02/07 12:45 PM Re: Check your Skid Row bumpers!
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by TJ:
So - you figure its a stress fracture then?

What planes are it twisting in?/What is placing the force on it?
It has to be a stress fracture IMO. Aside from a low speed parking lot hit where I got backed into I have had no contact. I think it's the combined weight/leverage of the tire hanging off the back and the rough roads that I drive. I do bounce around a bit more than the average Xterra and imagine I impart a bit more stress than that of the rock crawlers....but still. Those speed runs over extreme whoops (like the one in my video) are few and very far between I would not have thought it would be an issue. I actually have not done anything like that in over a year. You slow guys might be OK, but I'd check anyway. I've seen you bounce around a bit on rocks too, and I mean that in a good way. laugh

#57375 - 12/02/07 01:55 PM Re: Check your Skid Row bumpers!
Anonymous
Unregistered

Mine is looking fine. It has only been on for about a year an a half, but all the welds look good. Can you take a pic of the precise areas in question?

#57376 - 12/02/07 01:57 PM Re: Check your Skid Row bumpers!
Anonymous
Unregistered

Just checked mine and both the latch area and the high lift seem fine not even any peeled/chipped powder coat.

#57377 - 12/02/07 05:34 PM Re: Check your Skid Row bumpers!
Anonymous
Unregistered

Here are the pictures....

#57378 - 12/02/07 06:37 PM Re: Check your Skid Row bumpers!
Anonymous
Unregistered

Thanks.

Double checked, welds are all good.

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal