2002 Door Opening Trim
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:32 PM
XOC Still Lives
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:31 PM
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 139 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#78196 - 29/05/01 08:30 PM Need a tow hitch..
Cloud9 Offline

Loc: Southern California
Hi all.. I live in Studio City, CA. I have a '01 Nissan V-6 XE, I've added the front and back grills, rear wind deflector and chrome rims..... but what I would like to add is a tow hitch. Where would I go or look to find the right ones?

------------------
Cloud9
Southern Cali
Cloud White
'01 Xterra V-6 XE

[This message has been edited by Cloud9 (edited 05-29-2001).]
AIM: Cloud9Xterra

#78197 - 29/05/01 11:25 PM Re: Need a tow hitch..
johnnyx Offline
J

Loc: Scottsdale, AZ
try eBay. I found one new for $89 and put it on myself. (tubular, class III).

The dealers will probably charge over $250 er something, so shop around.

------------------
Cheers!, -John
NCCX http://www.geocities.com/norcal_clubx

#78198 - 30/05/01 03:29 AM Re: Need a tow hitch..
Xrugger Offline

Loc: Chicago, IL
Try doing a search for "Hitch". You will find several treads about the different hitches available, as well as witch ones come with the frame stiffeners needed to rate the frame to 5000 lbs.

Basically the Nissan hitch will cost you more around $250 - $300 and come with the stiffeners. Others you may for around $100, but no stiffeners. And someone said they found a non Nissan hitch with stiffeners, but they weren't as robust. and still someone else was going to make his own stiffeners.

Are they needed? You can decide that. Personally I went with the Nissan hitch. They wouldn't make the stiffeners if they weren't needed. And at this time it doesn't appear that you can get the stiffeners by them selves.

I ordered mine through Xterra Parts, and got it in less than a week. Paid about 270 plus shipping (about $50 if I remeber correctly, and still paid less than what I would have paid buying it from my dealer with sales tax) and ordered a bunch of other stuff too.

------------------
Joe
No Officer, I'm not naked. I'm wearing my Xterra.

#78199 - 30/05/01 04:57 AM Re: Need a tow hitch..
pepper kay Offline

Loc: TX
I agree with Xrugger except since I live just a few miles from www.xterraparts.com I just went there, bought it and had Courtesy Nissan install it for me ...

I am disabled to the point of not being able to even contemplate installing this myself, so I feel what I paid the dealer was necessary money well spent ...

You will find several threads relating to Tow Hitches ... check the SEARCH function to find them and read through them ... then, make a decision ...

------------------
Pepper Kay

#78200 - 30/05/01 06:10 AM Re: Need a tow hitch..
lemsip Offline

Loc: Lakewood, CO
Quote:
Originally posted by areuin:
try eBay. I found one new for $89 and put it on myself. (tubular, class III).

How does the spare fit with this tow hitch ? Is there room for a 31 inch tire ?

Thanks

------------------

#78201 - 30/05/01 06:21 AM Re: Need a tow hitch..
johnnyx Offline
J

Loc: Scottsdale, AZ
I hate to admit it, but I still have my stock 265 or whatever under there while currently driving on 32 x 11.50's...I heard 31's fit underneath pretty snug, but 32's might be a challenge - I'll find out soon....

------------------
Cheers!, -John
NCCX http://www.geocities.com/norcal_clubx

#78202 - 30/05/01 02:25 PM Re: Need a tow hitch..
SoccerX Offline

Loc: Plano, Texas USA
Try Uhaul.
I got my tubular hitch there for a LOT LESS than Nissan.

It doesn't have the frame stiffners, but I'll use it more for hitch mounted bike rack than actual towing.

------------------

#78203 - 31/05/01 04:47 AM Re: Need a tow hitch..
Olegkha Offline

Loc: Brooklyn, NY
Quote:
Originally posted by SoccerX:
Try Uhaul.

It doesn't have the frame stiffners, but I'll use it more for hitch mounted bike rack than actual towing.

lemsip: Uhaul hitch will not alow you to keep 31 inch spare underneath the truck, unleas the spare is air down till about 15 PSI

We tried to put my 31 inch tire under NjX truck with his uhaul tow hitch, did not fit

------------------

#78204 - 01/08/01 10:47 AM Re: Need a tow hitch..
everest Offline

Loc: Denver, CO
I'm looking for a tow hitch for the same reason - I just need to carry bikes but don't plan on towing. Are you happy with your U-Haul hitch? I'm kinda skeptical so far...

Quote:
Originally posted by SoccerX:
Try Uhaul.

------------------
2001 Super Black SE 4x4 automatic

#78205 - 01/08/01 11:11 AM Re: Need a tow hitch..
Matt Peckham Offline

Loc: Charlotte, NC
OK, I have to ask...

Quote:
Originally posted by Cloud9:
I've added the front and back grills

What's a back grill?

I want my baby back baby back baby back baby back baby back ribs. Chili's baby back ribs...

------------------
Prisoner #1403952

and what did you do today?

#78206 - 01/08/01 11:13 AM Re: Need a tow hitch..
Matt Peckham Offline

screw Uhaul. you'll have an advertisement for Uhaul on the back of your truck or you void the warranty. No thanks, I'll take my Hidden Hitch from www.bageco.com instead, thanks.

I think Hidden hitches are warranted even if you accidentally scratch the hell out of the sticker.

Uhaul has enough free advertising.

------------------
Prisoner #1403952

#78207 - 01/08/01 11:38 AM Re: Need a tow hitch..
LastRites Offline

Loc: 6012 feet up....
How would it void the warranty in removing/relocating the u-haul sticker?

Anyway, it works great for my Thule space station rack and the difference in price of the nissan Vs. u-haul hitch is enough to purchase some types of racks.

------------------
§olar Yellow,2K, V~6, XE

#78208 - 01/08/01 01:01 PM Re: Need a tow hitch..
rjm022 Offline

Loc: york
ebay-buy from abscuses-he has the tubular hitches that now have the step plate like the factory ones. his customer service is top notch,in case you have any problems or questions.if you are worried about the frame stiffeners, skid row will have them available in sept!

------------------

#78209 - 01/08/01 01:18 PM Re: Need a tow hitch..
Rumpy Offline

Loc: Bayside, NY
Would you only need the frame stiffeners if you plan on towing a lot of weight or getting pulled out of holes by the tow hitch? I wanted to buy one of those ebay ones but I am worried the first time I hook a tow strap up to it I am going regret it. Has anyone pulled/been pulled by an non-Nissan tow hitch and had problems?

------------------

#78210 - 01/08/01 06:51 PM Re: Need a tow hitch..
Guido Offline

Loc: Albertville, MN
The U-Haul hitch will eventually cause an annoying rattle with your tail pipe.

he dealer I bought my X from put a U-Haul hitch on my truck. After about 4 months, my tail pipe started to rattle against the hitch something awful. I took the truck back to the dealer and told them to fix it. They were going to try to fix it but couldn't and had to replace it with the Nissan hitch.

------------------
Yo Mammy boy!

#78211 - 02/08/01 04:30 AM Re: Need a tow hitch..
Olegkha Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Guido:
The U-Haul hitch will eventually cause an annoying rattle with your tail pipe.

he dealer I bought my X from put a U-Haul hitch on my truck. After about 4 months, my tail pipe started to rattle against the hitch something awful. I took the truck back to the dealer and told them to fix it. They were going to try to fix it but couldn't and had to replace it with the Nissan hitch.

do You know that you can BEND the tail pipe an inch or two down from the hitch?

its not that hard !

------------------

#78212 - 02/08/01 11:22 AM Re: Need a tow hitch..
LastRites Offline

A small spacer (looks like a square washer) under the tailpipe hanger gets it out of the way. U-haul has these on hand so just ensure that they use it. My installer left it off causing an annoying contact under acceleration. Never had a problem since.

------------------
§olar Yellow,2K, V~6, XE

#78213 - 02/08/01 12:10 PM Re: Need a tow hitch..
SoccerX Offline

Loc: Plano, Texas USA
"screw Uhaul. you'll have an advertisement for Uhaul on the back of your truck or you void the warranty."

It took all of ummmm.......... ten seconds to peel the Uhaul warrenty sticker off and stick it on a less visible section of the hitch.

And yes, I took the savings and bought my Yakima rack.

------------------

[This message has been edited by SoccerX (edited 08-02-2001).]

#78214 - 02/08/01 12:32 PM Re: Need a tow hitch..
Matt Peckham Offline

read the fine print. if you remove it from the original location you void it. some u haul places may not care, some may. I don't want to worry about it, nor do I want to go Uhaul hopping.

------------------
Prisoner #1403952

#78215 - 02/08/01 01:28 PM Re: Need a tow hitch..
Guido Offline

Loc: Albertville, MN
Olegkha,

When I was telling people that the U-Haul hitch was an ok substitute for the Nissan hitch, you jumped all over me because it didn't have frame stiffeners! Now you jump all over me because I replaced my U-Haul hitch with the Nissan hitch because of the rattle instead of just bending the tail pipe (which I did, and it only got rid of the rattle for a month or so before it came back) First you are saying the Nissan hitch is the only one to get, now you seem to think the U-Haul is ok as long as you bend the tail pipe. Which is it?

------------------
"We did not inherit the Earth from our parents, we are borrowing it from our children."

#78216 - 02/08/01 03:09 PM Re: Need a tow hitch..
LastRites Offline

The U-haul warranty among many other statements includes "The warranty applies to anything that can possibly happen to the hitch". Thats a fairly brazen statement. The little sticker on the thing says do not remove....so I didnt, it was relocated to the other side of the hitch out of sight. My warranty (cost a wopping 5 bones) states that it is an "Unlimited" nationwide warranty for as long as I own my vehicle......I completely missed the part about voiding it for sticker removal, what paragraph was that?

For most applications this hitch is a steal running at $120 installed, if your aim is to tote Bayliners around, get a bigger truck.

------------------
§olar Yellow,2K, V~6, XE

#78217 - 03/08/01 04:42 AM Re: Need a tow hitch..
Olegkha Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Guido:
Olegkha,

When I was telling people that the U-Haul hitch was an ok substitute for the Nissan hitch, you jumped all over me because it didn't have frame stiffeners! Now you jump all over me because I replaced my U-Haul hitch with the Nissan hitch because of the rattle instead of just bending the tail pipe (which I did, and it only got rid of the rattle for a month or so before it came back) First you are saying the Nissan hitch is the only one to get, now you seem to think the U-Haul is ok as long as you bend the tail pipe. Which is it?

I never sad Uhaul hitch is good
read my message again and show me where i sad that !

ALL I SAD IS: if your tail pipe rattels, you can just bend it a little bit away from the hitch

------------------

#78218 - 03/08/01 05:24 AM Re: Need a tow hitch..
FSRBIKER Offline

Loc: Oak Ridge, NJ
Quote:
Originally posted by LastRites:
I completely missed the part about voiding it for sticker removal, what paragraph was that?

Why not just paint over the sticker instead of removing it? Or use some electrical tape.

------------------
FSRBIKER
Extreme Offroad Equipment
www.Extreme4X4Parts.com
EOE...Opening Soon!

#78219 - 03/08/01 06:32 AM Re: Need a tow hitch..
TimR Offline

Loc: Forest Lake, MN
Actually, the X does just fine towing Bayliners, Glastrons, Chris Crafts, and even a Mastercraft. I don't need a bigger truck.

If you are going to USE your tow hitch, get the best hitch. If yer gonna slap a spinny propeller in the receiver, get whatever you want.

TimR
Quote:
Originally posted by LastRites:

For most applications this hitch is a steal running at $120 installed, if your aim is to tote Bayliners around, get a bigger truck.

------------------

#78220 - 03/08/01 07:52 AM Re: Need a tow hitch..
LastRites Offline

And what "wonder" hitch do you have? Does utilizing a hitch mean boat towing only? The whole point is that the u-haul hitch performs as well as any other. Yes it does lack frame stiffeners but a majority of us do not plan on maxing out the X in load pulling.

------------------
§olar Yellow,2K, V~6, XE

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal