2002 Door Opening Trim
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:32 PM
XOC Still Lives
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:31 PM
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 139 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#316650 - 06/02/04 07:23 PM website name for MXG
Lincoln Offline

Loc: Wisconsin
Hello all,

My brother and I have started the design of the MXG website. We just got the domain setup (domain forwarding so we don't have to pay for webspace) tonight. We will be working on it this weekend, so look for some progress during the next week. Please provide us constructive feedback once we get some eye candy up for you to look at.

Midwest Xterra Gathering

This website does have it's own e-mail address, mxg@charter.net You can e-mail us there. This site will also include a forum.

Thanks,

lincolnnellie (Michael)

#316651 - 07/02/04 04:06 PM Re: website name for MXG
Excelagator Offline

Loc: Wisconsin...The show me how to...
Damn Micheal...you fast! It looks like you have put forth some great effort! [ThumbsUp] I hope the info I send you was usable. It was the first I used Powerpoint and I thought it was cool! laugh

BTW, We are having a Meet and Greet in Madison the weekend of Feb 28th. We are to go over some MXG and Madcity Club things. I would like you to show up if at all possible.
Dan

#316652 - 07/02/04 04:34 PM Re: website name for MXG
XOC Offline
Admin

Loc: Minneapolis, MN
So you're moving the event to the small island of Tokelau ? Why on Earth would you get a .tk extension ? [Freak]

#316653 - 07/02/04 08:58 PM Re: website name for MXG
Excelagator Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by xoc:
So you're moving the event to the small island of Tokelau ? Why on Earth would you get a .tk extension ? [Freak]
Why yes..We are moving the event to Tokelau. We thought it would be cool to wheel the phosphate mines and get some sun after a long winter. In fact, I am paying for everyone's crating and shipping fees to get their X there. [Geek]

Oh please......explain why a .tk is bad? We will keep in mind that your infinite internet wisdom is only dwarfed by your boundless dumb@ssness.

Give 'Nellie a F*&^king break, he is doing this for free!

Dan

#316654 - 07/02/04 10:27 PM Re: website name for MXG
Lincoln Offline

I used .tk because it is free and I was using my existing webspace on charter. I didn't want the url to be long as hell, you could host it for me if you wanted to though Ian! :p I will plan on meeting with you guys on Feb 28th. It is tenative on if I get my job and have to move to Wausau that day or something. We took some pics that we want to use for the site today. The site should be up and going on Wednesday. The theme for the website is Contrast.....(that's for you Ian). laugh

#316655 - 07/02/04 11:35 PM Re: website name for MXG
XOC Offline
Admin

Quote:
Originally posted by Excelagator:
Oh please......explain why a .tk is bad?
You're too stupid to understand, but I'll try. Every country has a 2 letter extension. When a site address ends in a 2-letter TLD extension, it's easy to figure out where that site is in the world. Back when the Internet wasn't fucked up by greedy people, .com meant commercial, .org meant non-profit and .edu meant schools. Everything worked the way it should.

Instead of following standards, which make for a well designed Internet, stupid people decided to get greedy and cybersquat trademarks and tradenames on every possible top level domain they could find. This benefits nobody except the companies selling the names. Your stupid free .tk TLD is funded by a company that is cybersquatting on tradename domains hoping to cash in. In order to appear like nice guys, they offer free .tk domains to names that nobody wants. The .tk consortium runs banner ads and tracking info as they redirect to your real website, and if you don't keep the traffic up, they shut down your domain without warning. I hope you have at least 25 members in your club because you need that many unique visits every 90 days or you will lose it.

Most of these little countries that are allowing their Internet top level domains to be resold are not helping themselves. Many companies like Taloha, Inc., who handle .tk are allowing open relays for spam and illegal file trading. Many .tk addresses are blacklisted at SPEWS and that can impact anyone using a domain run by such a company.

Now the common sense thing would have been to register mwxg.com (which is available) for a measily $5 a year from a reputable registrar and lock the domain in for good. You can then do the same thing and redirect to some free hosting somewhere, without ever worrying about your domain going away. You could offer email accounts to people with a very short, easy to remember URL too.

But I guess you guys are too smart for that.

#316656 - 08/02/04 12:06 AM Re: website name for MXG
MaloCS Offline

Quote:

Now the common sense thing would have been to register [b]mwxg.com
(which is available) for a measily $5 a year from a reputable registrar and lock the domain in for good. You can then do the same thing and redirect to some free hosting somewhere, without ever worrying about your domain going away. You could offer email accounts to people with a very short, easy to remember URL too.[/b]
I second that. [ThumbsUp]

#316657 - 08/02/04 11:51 AM Re: website name for MXG
Mapman Offline

Loc: Crystal Lake, IL
Michael,

I think it's great you are taking the intiative on the web site. I'm sure everyone that's INVOLVED in the MXG or going to attend is grateful!

-Erik

http://midwestxterraowners.com/

#316658 - 08/02/04 12:19 PM Re: website name for MXG
Lincoln Offline

I appreciate the support guys. Ian has a point, but I want to get the website up and running to see how many people make use of it before I pay for a domain name. I had no idea that it was so cheap, otherwise I would have investigated that possibility. If Ian would be so kind as to provide me some information on some resources I could use to registar a domain for $5.00...I would be happy to check it out. Once I have more time and resources, I plan on developing this website into a great one. For now, I want to get the site up and running so people can take advantage of it and for as little out of pocket money as possible.

#316659 - 09/02/04 08:25 AM Re: website name for MXG
Anonymous
Unregistered

Ian, the point that was trying to be made to you was that there is a difference between CONSTRUCTIVE and DESTRUCTIVE criticism, and what yours appeared to be was the latter of the two, if your interests as an administrator is to promote and expand the Xterra groups you should probably help people with your wisdom and not belittle them with it.you really sound like an arrogant dick when you talk like that. [Geek] By the way, thanks for the time and effort your putting in Nellie, see you all in madtown on the 28th. laugh

#316660 - 09/02/04 09:35 AM Re: website name for MXG
XOC Offline
Admin

Quote:
Originally posted by duggie:
Ian, the point that was trying to be made to you was that there is a difference between CONSTRUCTIVE and DESTRUCTIVE criticism, and what yours appeared to be was the latter of the two,
Did you read something I missed ?
I never offered any criticism, I simply asked why a .tk domain was used, then Excelagator blew a head gasket.
I then used my wisdom to explain why it was a bad idea.

#316661 - 10/02/04 07:25 AM Re: website name for MXG
maximusdelirious Offline

Loc: Lake Mills, WI
.org would be a better choice as we are not doing this for profit. I think the forum looks good.

BTW, Ian did you get the e-mail I sent?

#316662 - 10/02/04 08:24 AM Re: website name for MXG
XOC Offline
Admin

Quote:
Originally posted by maximusdelirious:
.org would be a better choice as we are not doing this for profit. I think the forum looks good.

BTW, Ian did you get the e-mail I sent?
Nope. What was it about ?

.org is good for clubs, .com will work for events like the gathering, since it may have commercial interests.

#316663 - 10/03/04 10:19 AM Re: website name for MXG
Anonymous
Unregistered

Lincolnnellie,

#316664 - 10/03/04 10:21 AM Re: website name for MXG
Anonymous
Unregistered

Licolnnellie,
Look at www.fuitadnet.com. They have some really good hosting and registration prices. I was wondering if there are many people from Indiana here?

#316665 - 10/03/04 10:22 AM Re: website name for MXG
Anonymous
Unregistered

Licolnnellie,
Look at www.fuitadnet.com. They have some really good hosting and registration prices. I was wondering if there are many people from Indiana here?

#316666 - 10/03/04 10:24 AM Re: website name for MXG
maximusdelirious Offline

It's up and working!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

goto either m-x-g.info or

midwestxterragathering.info

#316667 - 10/03/04 01:08 PM Re: website name for MXG
XOC Offline
Admin

WTF ?
Hyphens ?
.info ?
That's worse than the .tk you had before.

mwxg.org is still available, and you didn't use it.

I give up.

#316668 - 10/03/04 02:43 PM Re: website name for MXG
Lincoln Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by jb2315:
Licolnnellie,
They do have pretty good prices...thanks. Go to the MXG page and register.

#316669 - 14/03/04 02:00 PM Re: website name for MXG
maximusdelirious Offline

Quote:
WTF ?
Hyphens ?
.info ?
That's worse than the [b].tk
you had before.

mwxg.org is still available, and you didn't use it.

I give up.[/b]
I take it we won't see you there then?

#316670 - 14/03/04 04:29 PM Re: website name for MXG
Excelagator Offline

[Spit] [Spit] [Spit]

Dan

Moderator:  Mapman 

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal