Glim, ChossWrangler, Patman, ChargedX, Randy Howerton
10084 Registered Users
Recent Posts
ECXC 2024!
by Tom
10/05/24 09:56 AM
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 232 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#320580 - 06/03/06 09:53 AM Damn Hi Lift mounting dented my X :(
Anonymous
Unregistered

So - while trying to get the damn Yakima mounts to actually hold the jack I managed to drop the damn jack and put a nice dent above the rear passenger side window frown

Georgie - Thanks for the mounts, but for some reason they just don't want to tighten onto my rack tight enough to hold the Jack. The weight of the jack just pulls them down, even when I tighten the bolts with an extension bar.

I got pissed and just took them off, I'm going to buy the Black Diamond ones that NOSUP4U has and just mount it to the Xterra rack. So you can have em back SoldierX, maybe you can get some $$$ for them on Ebay or somethin to help pay for your other mods. Or I can Ebay em for you if ya like and just give you the cash.

#320581 - 06/03/06 10:06 AM Re: Damn Hi Lift mounting dented my X :(
Anonymous
Unregistered

Could you try putting a piece of rubber, like a cut piece of inner tube or something between the mount and the rack?

#320582 - 06/03/06 10:37 AM Re: Damn Hi Lift mounting dented my X :(
Anonymous
Unregistered

Good point DR. I had to do that to get the mounts to hold well for me before. The sun may have damaged the rubber for the mounts when it was on my rack.

Work those muscles Roger, come on He-Man. :p

#320583 - 06/03/06 10:51 AM Re: Damn Hi Lift mounting dented my X :(
Anonymous
Unregistered

Well yesterday was the 2nd attempt. I wrapped some black ductape around the bars first, to make them a little fatter. That still didn't do the trick.

I could try again with some old innertube, I think I have one laying around from Fat Tire somewhere. If that fails tho, I really am giving up and buying the other ones! lol.

#320584 - 06/03/06 11:44 AM Re: Damn Hi Lift mounting dented my X :(
defibvt Offline

Loc: AZ
Roger, if it doesn't work I can take them off your hands. I am know I can figure something out. PM me either way.

#320585 - 06/03/06 03:02 PM Re: Damn Hi Lift mounting dented my X :(
pinoy Offline

Loc: TinleyPark, IL.
If your talking about the hi-lift mounts yakima sells for the roof rack they have a T-Slot molded into the plastic insert that is to prevent them from sagging down like you mentioned. The mounts are suppose to be placed between the 1" vertical bar and the 1/2" horizontal bar to prevent the mounts from sagging.

#320586 - 06/03/06 03:41 PM Re: Damn Hi Lift mounting dented my X :(
Anonymous
Unregistered

Oh shit - that would probably be it then!

Awesome pinoy 5 trucks for that suggestion, pending me actually looking at the damn things again. I had the instructions and everythin and they didn't say shit about that! I was just putting them inbetween the horizontal bars.

#320587 - 06/03/06 04:16 PM Re: Damn Hi Lift mounting dented my X :(
Anonymous
Unregistered

Don't feel bad, I did the exact same thing with mine. I was just getting ready to post what Pinoy did. I went to the extreme of using the inner tube. It was effective, but after being told the error of my ways, fixed it the proper way. The instructions suck when it comes to that aspect, you have to look really close to see it.

PS I have the same dent on my roof also. It was the only dent on the truck, but then I started pulling stuff off and hacksawing what was in the way.

#320588 - 06/03/06 04:16 PM Re: Damn Hi Lift mounting dented my X :(
Anonymous
Unregistered

pictures that might shed some light if you're interested.

http://community.webshots.com/album/507834936MAJoXk

SOme shots show the brackets location at the "T" cross points for the bars.

#320589 - 06/03/06 04:38 PM Re: Damn Hi Lift mounting dented my X :(
Anonymous
Unregistered

5 trucks for Chris too, very helpful with the pictures too. [ThumbsUp]

#320590 - 06/03/06 07:32 PM Re: Damn Hi Lift mounting dented my X :(
Anonymous
Unregistered

Yeaa, thanks Chris. Seems obvious now after installing them around the horizontal bars too! lol. Oh well, they are on and so is the hi lift. I just need a Handle Isolator now, rather than using the metal tie and a backup cable tie! I work near a 4x4 shop tho, so will stop by there tomorrow lunchtime and grab one.

#320591 - 06/03/06 07:58 PM Re: Damn Hi Lift mounting dented my X :(
Anonymous
Unregistered

I think it was DBAX that also mentioned using the isolator to provide a bumper against the side of the vehicle when doing an actual lift operation. May have been someone else. My jack holds position solid as a rock. Also the Yakima install pdf Strongly recommends installation on the passenger side. And Bill Burke says stow with the latch in the up position. I have black sharpee lines on the hi lift bar to put the jack ratchet mechanism back into a stowable position.
Cheers

PS RiNkY do you know someone in the UK that could procure this isolator and cap kit at a resonable price?It is called the :SOUTHDOWN JACK CAP KIT for Jacks £19.75 (scroll down)

http://www.firstfouroffroad.co.uk/jacking.htm

#320592 - 07/03/06 06:42 AM Re: Damn Hi Lift mounting dented my X :(
Anonymous
Unregistered

If they won't ship to the US I could give you my UK address to ship to. My folks could then forward it on to here. £19.75 is about $37.00 tho, so that isn't really that cheap once you add any shipping in the UK.

#320593 - 07/03/06 04:57 PM Re: Damn Hi Lift mounting dented my X :(
pinoy Offline

Loc: TinleyPark, IL.
Quote:
Originally posted by RiNkY:
Oh shit - that would probably be it then!
Sorry... I didn't post before the little mishap, but I'm glad everything worked out for you. [ThumbsUp]

#320594 - 07/03/06 05:39 PM Re: Damn Hi Lift mounting dented my X :(
Anonymous
Unregistered

You know what is funny. On the trails, with people with their HiLift jacks mounted on their rack, if one is needed, no one wants to bother to take it off. No one ever seems to volunteer. It's just too much of a PITA.

Is it just there for show? If you never remove it, why have it?

I have yet to see someone take a rack-mounted jack off their truck on the trail.

Just an observation. laugh

#320595 - 07/03/06 05:53 PM Re: Damn Hi Lift mounting dented my X :(
Anonymous
Unregistered

Daggerdoggie, you haven't seen Rinky drive have you?

I guess it is a bit of a drive from NY?

Trust me, I heard it.........

#320596 - 07/03/06 07:02 PM Re: Damn Hi Lift mounting dented my X :(
NOSUP4U Offline

Loc: Phoenix, AZ
Quote:
Originally posted by Daggerdoggie:
You know what is funny. On the trails, with people with their HiLift jacks mounted on their rack, if one is needed, no one wants to bother to take it off. No one ever seems to volunteer. It's just too much of a PITA.

Is it just there for show? If you never remove it, why have it?

I have yet to see someone take a rack-mounted jack off their truck on the trail.

Just an observation. laugh
You just need a better mount. smile

I have the fourtreks mounts. (also called the Diamond X mounts or something like that, as that was their old name I think)

http://fourtreks.com/roll_bar.html

It takes me about...10 seconds to pull my jack off. 20s if I have a lock on it. Thats what I love about these mounts. They look great, and they hang to the side to you can access your jack from the ground.

#320597 - 07/03/06 07:22 PM Re: Damn Hi Lift mounting dented my X :(
Anonymous
Unregistered

Damn it Mark! I don't remember you going and getting your jack when I stripped the torsion anchor... laugh

Wow! That was a fun drive!

#320598 - 07/03/06 07:26 PM Re: Damn Hi Lift mounting dented my X :(
Anonymous
Unregistered

RiNkY thanks for the info. I thought it was going to be too expensive. But it sure is a nice looking set of rubber for the HiLift. Maybe next time I am on a business trip to the UK. Cheers.

#320599 - 07/03/06 07:45 PM Re: Damn Hi Lift mounting dented my X :(
NOSUP4U Offline

Loc: Phoenix, AZ
Quote:
Originally posted by Sinagua:
Damn it Mark! I don't remember you going and getting your jack when I stripped the torsion anchor... laugh

Wow! That was a fun drive!
I was the lead truck, like a 5 minute walk from you! smile Plus I'm lazy...

#320600 - 08/03/06 05:41 PM Re: Damn Hi Lift mounting dented my X :(
Anonymous
Unregistered

Well thanks to you guys for the advice, the Jack is now securely up there.

Now for the lift! smile

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal