2002 Door Opening Trim
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:32 PM
XOC Still Lives
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:31 PM
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 139 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#322965 - 19/08/06 05:28 PM How we spent a summer vacation
Accasbel Offline

Loc: Chanhassen, MN USA
What driving 450 miles will getchya;

With the fall school sessions approaching, we joined another family and a token college off-roader for a jaunt to Ouray, CO. Our skin, sinuses, and souls were refreshed by the weather which ranged from bright-n-sunny, to cool-n-drizzly. The trails, never dusty, provided access to some of the best vistas this side of anywhere.

Day 1 was up to Yankee Boy and Governor Basins, Day 2 was a rainy romp up to Engineer's Pass and back down to Animas Forks and out via Corkscrew. Day 3 was supposed to be Imogene Pass, but a hydrolocked engine brought an early end to the cruise and had us towing a truck back to Ouray. Day 4 was spent going to Montrose for a trailer and wandering around Ouray. Yes, we lost a day and a half of trails, but it was still better than the Phoenix heat. At least it was better to me; it wasn't my engine that sucked up a dose of mud-n-water.

This was Galen's first serious road trip. He was better at rid'n in the mornings, the afternoons were better for playing in the great outdoors or fuss'n in his car seat. Needless to say we tried to offer him plenty of the great outdoors.

It had been about three years since out last trip to Ouray. Our souls needed a dose of mountains and we got it. Now it’s paramount not to let another three years pass to experience it all again.

#322966 - 19/08/06 08:13 PM Re: How we spent a summer vacation
Anonymous
Unregistered

Wish my schedule would let me make the trip. I would love to explore that area. Sounds like you had a great time overall. cool

#322967 - 19/08/06 08:30 PM Re: How we spent a summer vacation
Anonymous
Unregistered

laugh Sweeet!!!

#322968 - 20/08/06 07:10 PM Re: How we spent a summer vacation
Anonymous
Unregistered

My wife and I are heading up there mid Sept for a week or so. Planning to do the Alpine Loop that connects Silverton, Ouray, and Lake City via engineer pass, Cinammon pass (Lake City to Silverton), and Red Mountain Pass (paved, Silverton to Ouray) - all easy to moderate 4WD. Cooler temps and wonderful scenery - what more could a person ask for ?

Plenty of 35mm file and compact flash cards will be packed !!!

#322969 - 21/08/06 12:32 PM Re: How we spent a summer vacation
Anonymous
Unregistered

Looks awesome! I'm hopin to make it up there sometime in '07.

#322970 - 22/08/06 12:52 PM Re: How we spent a summer vacation
Accasbel Offline

Loc: Chanhassen, MN USA
You might recognize some of these folks from the obligatory group photo:

Great group to travel with, I'd go with 'em again in a heartbeat.

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal