2002 Door Opening Trim
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:32 PM
XOC Still Lives
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:31 PM
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 139 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#327789 - 28/01/08 08:22 PM leaf assists
Anonymous
Unregistered

clicky

comments, concerns, thoughts?

#327790 - 28/01/08 08:40 PM Re: leaf assists
Anonymous
Unregistered

Looks like that is made for individuals that use their trucks to tow, and only tow. I think that'll kill the flex on your truck. invest in sliders or tires smile

#327791 - 28/01/08 08:41 PM Re: leaf assists
Anonymous
Unregistered

was thinking about down the road..
deff getting tires and sliders first..

just curious what people thought.

and also wondering.. would this be similar to adding leafs? which is a good thing, right?

#327792 - 28/01/08 09:47 PM Re: leaf assists
Anonymous
Unregistered

IMHO, Timbren bumpstops or an AAL is the way to go.

#327793 - 28/01/08 09:57 PM Re: leaf assists
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by AZ-Ted:
Links?
still stuck on some of the shorthand.. heck even some of the longhand..

also "Reduces Axle Wrap & Wheel Hop"

#327794 - 28/01/08 10:05 PM Re: leaf assists
Anonymous
Unregistered

#327795 - 29/01/08 04:34 AM Re: leaf assists
Anonymous
Unregistered

I would go with tires and Shackeles in the rear then crank the torsion bars aka Poor Man's Lift (PML) Shackles run about $50 at purenissan.com. ou can live without sliders for a while IMO, plus you will be forced to drive better if you have no protection.

Basically for the cost/benefit ratio you are better off getting shackles first. PML will allow you to fit 31" tires which do just fine on trails AZXC runs.

#327796 - 29/01/08 04:36 AM Re: leaf assists
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Uhh..not on a 1st Gen, turbo...now you're just confusing the man. :p

#327797 - 29/01/08 12:38 PM Re: leaf assists
MadManX Offline

Loc: Maricopa, AZ
Quote:
I don't like my AAL... Its already flat in less than 15k with only 1,000 miles or towing on it. I used adjustible shackles and I have them maxed and I'm still lower than when they were first installed. Oh, my leafs are a Deaver 2 leaf AAL pack.

Calling Dunbar as soon as I can aford new leafpacks. Going to be the first part on my truck I didn't do the work on myself too.

For a gen one, right off the bat, poor man's lift, torsion bars and shackles. If you need help doing the work let me know, my garage door is always open smile ... Though I never did the torsion bar trick myself. But, I never installed a lift either and my tires haven't fallen off yet smile

And why have you changed bumpstops?

-MadManX
- "Fully Shrocked" by ShrockWorks
- Ramsey 9000UT Winch w/ Synthetic Cable
2007 Red NISMO Frontier
- ShrockWorks Full Underside Armor
- ShrockWorks "Modified" Rock Sliders

#327798 - 29/01/08 03:44 PM Re: leaf assists
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by T-Ray:
Quote:
[b]IMHO, Timbren bumpstops or an AAL is the way to go.
Uhh..not on a 1st Gen, turbo...now you're just confusing the man. :p [/b]
Please explain?

#327799 - 29/01/08 06:20 PM Re: leaf assists
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by MadManX:
Quote:
I don't like my AAL... Its already flat in less than 15k with only 1,000 miles or towing on it. I used adjustible shackles and I have them maxed and I'm still lower than when they were first installed. Oh, my leafs are a Deaver 2 leaf AAL pack.

Calling Dunbar as soon as I can aford new leafpacks. Going to be the first part on my truck I didn't do the work on myself too.

For a gen one, right off the bat, poor man's lift, torsion bars and shackles. If you need help doing the work let me know, my garage door is always open smile ... Though I never did the torsion bar trick myself. But, I never installed a lift either and my tires haven't fallen off yet smile

And why have you changed bumpstops?

-MadManX[/b]
havent just looking at interesting things..
this is that shock on the leafs i was telling you about. cept it was a spring not a shock.

#327800 - 29/01/08 06:20 PM Re: leaf assists
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Quote:
[b]
Quote:
Uhh..not on a 1st Gen, turbo...now you're just confusing the man. :p [/b]
Please explain?[/b]
:rolleyes: ...Timbren bumpstops on a 1st Gen...why? As for AAL, you get the same lift as shackles, they cost more AND give a stiffer ride. AAL on a 2nd gen makes all the sense in the world because of the bottoming out issues; not so on Gen1.

Anyway, since Lucky 13 has a Gen1, as do I, I am telling him what has worked for me wheeling Xterra's in AZ for the past two and half years.

#327801 - 29/01/08 06:28 PM Re: leaf assists
Anonymous
Unregistered

you mean like the ones in the 3" lift kit by calmini?

wishing i had 3200 to drop on my truck right about now.. +tires

#327802 - 29/01/08 07:00 PM Re: leaf assists
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
[QB...Timbren bumpstops on a 1st Gen...why? As for AAL, you get the same lift as shackles, they cost more AND give a stiffer ride. AAL on a 2nd gen makes all the sense in the world because of the bottoming out issues; not so on Gen1.

Anyway, since Lucky 13 has a Gen1, as do I, I am telling him what has worked for me wheeling Xterra's in AZ for the past two and half years.[/QB]
I was replying to Lucky 13's question about the "active suspension system" versus adding leafs. It seemed that he was wanting to beef up his load carrying capacity. As you know, shackles will not help you carry any additional weight. Timbren bumpstops or an AAL will.

#327803 - 29/01/08 07:27 PM Re: leaf assists
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
I was replying to Lucky 13's question about the "active suspension system" versus adding leafs. It seemed that he was wanting to beef up his load carrying capacity. As you know, shackles will not help you carry any additional weight. Timbren bumpstops or an AAL will.
actually for offroad purposes was what i was thinking. i would think that this would help keep your leafs stiff. kinda like adding a leaf, but would also help with axel wrap. but not sure just HOW much it would give if that tire was on a rock and the others weren't. but not sure. thats why i asked.. the only thing i didnt like about it is that it would reduce your sway.

#327804 - 29/01/08 07:34 PM Re: leaf assists
Anonymous
Unregistered

Your going break it. If you don't break it. Flex will go down.

#327805 - 30/01/08 04:30 AM Re: leaf assists
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by Lucky 13:
you mean like the ones in the 3" lift kit by calmini?

wishing i had 3200 to drop on my truck right about now.. +tires
$3200??? For shackles? Calmini shackles cost $49.95 plus shipping. Takes about an hour to put on.

In any case, whatever you are trying to do, I would suggest not trying to re-invent the wheel when it comes to Xterra suspension. There are PLENTY of people here on XOC with Gen1 trucks that would agree the first best suspension mod is longer shackles. Unless you are doing some custom fabbed link system, stick to what everyone else runs...because it works.

You should be able to get tires and shackles for under $1000 total. Those two things will GREATLY increase you capability off-road...but what do I know?

#327806 - 30/01/08 06:37 AM Re: leaf assists
MadManX Offline

Loc: Maricopa, AZ
I agree with T-Ray... I came from a Gen1 that I only changed the tires on. Wasn't a 4x4 so I never had a need for lift. But my Gen1 had a lot better leaf system than my Gen2. I did have my entire shocks due for changing at around 35k but I traded it off around 78k and the leafs were still in good shape (but man I bounced everywhere).

Shackles man... I'll even help you install them if ya need (adjusting mine last week took about 15 minutes each side). Just jack the truck up by the frame as high as you can, otherwise the leaf goes off like a rocket when the bolt comes free.

Tires, our firestone connection can hook you up. A set of 5 Destination MTs ran me less than 1,000 mounted. I think I was quoted about $168 per tire last year (but was warned the price would rice this year though). The Revos are good rites too, you even get a 50k tread life warranty. Both tires also can have a cert added for tire damage and repair. I haven't used mine yet, but Onix sure has.

Back on topic, the active suspension thing looks cool, but I just went crusing for Jeeps with this mod, and found nothing. No offence to the Nissans, but Jeeps get all the new stuff first. So I would think that this isn't a great "off road" mod. That and the website was last updated in 1999, so maybe it doesn't sell well. Roadmaster doesn't even show it avalible in thier cataloge either.

The idea seems sound, but that would give you a wicked stiff ride when not under load. And may increase wheelhop because the shock won't have a chance to absorb the bumps in the road. Now take off, it would probably reduce wheel hop though. But with a half a ton load, who has the power to chirp thier tires anyway?

Cool idea, if it were easily adjustible/removable for using only when towing or carring heavy loads IMO.

-MadManX
- "Fully Shrocked" by ShrockWorks
- Ramsey 9000UT Winch w/ Synthetic Cable
2007 Red NISMO Frontier
- ShrockWorks Full Underside Armor
- ShrockWorks "Modified" Rock Sliders

#327807 - 30/01/08 09:12 PM Re: leaf assists
Anonymous
Unregistered

im just happy to see that this topic got 2 pages of attention. not that i was ever going to put them on my truck. i saw the load thing 2. wasnt sure about it and havent really heard about it anywhere else so i thought id open the floor.

t-ray $3200 is for EVERYTHING calmini has to offer for the gen ones.. laugh i want!!

as far as tires im about to start a new thread i think.. (this is my first thing i want to buy)

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal