2002 Door Opening Trim
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:32 PM
XOC Still Lives
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:31 PM
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 139 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#319840 - 26/01/08 06:55 PM Fixing a busted motor mount
NOSUP4U Offline

Loc: Phoenix, AZ
Is this easy/hard and what does it involve? Mine broke on the drive up to Crown King today. (The one directly under the drivers feet)

Anyway, the X isn't a daily driver for us so its not a huge deal, but we were hoping to take it up to Snowbowl next weekend. Should I take it to a shop and get it fixed, or can i do this myself?

Thanks!!
Mark

#319841 - 26/01/08 11:58 PM Re: Fixing a busted motor mount
Anonymous
Unregistered

i could give you a hand with it if you need it. not hard. motor mounts arent usually. i have all tools just have a small garage. glad to hear you made it home ok..

#319842 - 27/01/08 10:01 AM Re: Fixing a busted motor mount
defibvt Offline

Loc: AZ
Mark, you should be able to find how to directions in the backyard mechanic forum. I, unfortunately, can't help with this one.

#319843 - 27/01/08 10:21 AM Re: Fixing a busted motor mount
Anonymous
Unregistered

It's not too bad. You'll need a floor jack, a block of wood and some 14mm wrenges. Drop angle wrenches work the best.

Remove the rubber cladding between the body and frame, take the driver side tire off, and set the truck on a jackstand.

Take your floor jack and your block of wood and locate the alternator bracket. Postion yourself under that. You should be able to lift the left side of the engine far enough to get the old mount out and the new one in. Loosen the nuts first - there's one up top and 2 more underneath.

Don't jack up any farther than you need to, as this is stressing that alternator bracket and your other mount.

Get the new one attached on the engine (nut loose, and line up the two downfacing studs with the frame holes and lower the motor down. If you get lucky, you'll get it the first try.

Make sure you get those nuts TIGHT! I learned that one the hard way. I thought I had them torqued down enough underneath, but I lost them in a very remote spot in Wyoming last summer and had to do quite the trail fix.

Did you know the nuts holding the 3rd member on the rear diff have the same threadpitch? smile

The more you know....

#319844 - 27/01/08 10:40 AM Re: Fixing a busted motor mount
defibvt Offline

Loc: AZ
Pretty much somes it up.

#319845 - 27/01/08 11:23 AM Re: Fixing a busted motor mount
Anonymous
Unregistered

breaker bar works great for getting to those nuts usually.. and one thing wierd that i noticed on the trail was that the engine was lifted up off the engine mount. so will have to look into that further as to why..

#319846 - 27/01/08 01:05 PM Re: Fixing a busted motor mount
NOSUP4U Offline

Awesome thanks guys. I'm glad its not a big deal.

Jeff I got your PM, I actually live about 2 miles NW of you. I'll give you a call this afternoon sometime and if you have time to help anytime this week that would be awesome.

#319847 - 27/01/08 01:08 PM Re: Fixing a busted motor mount
Anonymous
Unregistered

Pretty much what the Rat said. It's an easy job.

Hardest part is getting those bottom nuts off.

If you have a body lift at all it's much easier even.

I carry a spare one...

#319848 - 27/01/08 01:13 PM Re: Fixing a busted motor mount
NOSUP4U Offline

Also, can someone tell me the technical name of this hose coming off the engine with the duct tape on it so I know what I'm asking for when I call the dealership to order it?

Thanks smile
Mark

#319849 - 27/01/08 01:27 PM Re: Fixing a busted motor mount
Anonymous
Unregistered

[16578] DUCT-AIR CLICKY HERE!

Not a bad price. [ThumbsUp]

Clicky for Mount

#319850 - 27/01/08 03:41 PM Re: Fixing a busted motor mount
Anonymous
Unregistered

It'll cost about $60. Maybe less if you go over to N4W and click our ABC banner ad and put the part request in that way. Full Wholesale, and ABC is just down the street from you.

#319851 - 27/01/08 05:13 PM Re: Fixing a busted motor mount
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by NOSUP4U:
Awesome thanks guys. I'm glad its not a big deal.

Jeff I got your PM, I actually live about 2 miles NW of you. I'll give you a call this afternoon sometime and if you have time to help anytime this week that would be awesome.
sure no prob.. i like working on autos.. and helping out fellow club members/off-roaders...
just let me know when and ill load up my truck and head on over.. im usually home around 430pm ish, sometimes eariler (rare) sometimes later (not so rare).. other than that im free..

#319852 - 31/01/08 09:52 AM Re: Fixing a busted motor mount
NOSUP4U Offline

Got this put in last night. Seems to be holding well. No really issues other than just getting the engine jacked up a little to make some room in there. Took about 2 1/2 hours total to get it and the throttle exhaust hose in the engine put on.

Thanks for the help Jeff. (And by help I mean, doing most everything heh wink )

Mark

#319853 - 31/01/08 04:04 PM Re: Fixing a busted motor mount
Anonymous
Unregistered

my plesure man, enjoyed it..
looking forward to helping with the next ,umm, project.. :p
ditto goes for everyone, within reasonable driving distance that is..

#319854 - 31/01/08 06:40 PM Re: Fixing a busted motor mount
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hey lucky you dont want to miss the meeting saturday night there will be a large rock buggy prepairing for sicamoore canyon for a night run lots of cool stuff at the Bodyshop tools lifts frame equipment preasure washer vintage Gas pumps when gas was like .50 cents . might be a good place to have a MOD-Day.....Wooohoooo i will be there most of saturday playing with the X and helping another SiCk buddy on the Buggy
454,4x4,locked front,rear,with 47's 49's ummmm they are big, shocksthere almost 3-4foot long.I cant wait to ride shotgun
Waldo/Onix

#319855 - 01/02/08 01:46 PM Re: Fixing a busted motor mount
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by Onix:
Hey lucky you dont want to miss the meeting saturday night there will be a large rock buggy prepairing for sicamoore canyon for a night run lots of cool stuff at the Bodyshop tools lifts frame equipment preasure washer vintage Gas pumps when gas was like .50 cents . might be a good place to have a MOD-Day.....Wooohoooo i will be there most of saturday playing with the X and helping another SiCk buddy on the Buggy
454,4x4,locked front,rear,with 47's 49's ummmm they are big, shocksthere almost 3-4foot long.I cant wait to ride shotgun
Waldo/Onix
eek

you know ill be there!!

#319856 - 01/02/08 01:59 PM Re: Fixing a busted motor mount
Anonymous
Unregistered

doing the engine mount was ALOT easier after dropping the front diff a little bit. just a tip for whoever reads these things. :rolleyes: will add a pic of the diff drop when i can. only pic i was able to get since the camera died mad

#319857 - 01/02/08 04:24 PM Re: Fixing a busted motor mount
Anonymous
Unregistered

I may end up showing up.. in a JEEP eek Commander [Huh?]
[LOL]
It's all I could get for a rental.
[Smoking]

#319858 - 01/02/08 05:13 PM Re: Fixing a busted motor mount
Anonymous
Unregistered

ummmm... [ThumbsDown] [Spit]
still would love to see ya there even if you are in a jeep (mumbles[trader]) :p

#319859 - 01/02/08 05:18 PM Re: Fixing a busted motor mount
Anonymous
Unregistered

It's great.. Jeepers have been waving at me only to be saluted w/ a hearty "Jeeps are #1". laugh

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal