Glim, ChossWrangler, Patman, ChargedX, Randy Howerton
10084 Registered Users
Recent Posts
ECXC 2024!
by Tom
10/05/24 09:56 AM
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 232 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#327015 - 16/02/08 11:23 PM Rear Diff Death, karlover007 edition
Anonymous
Unregistered

So as some of you know, my front diff bid adieu tonight in a loud manner on a "hill" commonly known as dirt patch. The front driver's side shaft is limp and leaking frown

Any ideas/suggestions how long can I drive with it wounded like that? I will be leaving for a two week business trip in 8 days, and was hoping to just drop the truck off right before. But while driving, I hear faint knocking coming from the front while driving... so may be waiting is not such a good idea? Any suggestions are welcome!

#327016 - 17/02/08 01:28 AM Re: Rear Diff Death, karlover007 edition
Anonymous
Unregistered

I wouldn't drive it. call Pinnacle, Jon said he'll give u a loaner for the duration fix.

#327017 - 17/02/08 06:27 AM Re: Rear Diff Death, karlover007 edition
Anonymous
Unregistered

That sucks Mikhail, I hope you get 'er fixed up quick! Nissan's going to be running short on parts, at this rate. :rolleyes:

#327018 - 17/02/08 07:14 AM Re: Rear Diff Death, karlover007 edition
Anonymous
Unregistered

Don't wait, get it in ASAP. Sounds like you snapped a CV shaft (prolly at the splines).. As it rotates around in side, it will create more damage/scarring. Do you have the MPP (max protection plan)?

#327019 - 17/02/08 07:57 AM Re: Rear Diff Death, karlover007 edition
Anonymous
Unregistered

Wow - that's like 3 blown 2nd Gen diffs just in the local club. That's a pretty bad failure rate.

#327020 - 17/02/08 08:28 AM Re: Rear Diff Death, karlover007 edition
Anonymous
Unregistered

well we hope this wont happen to anyone .but that would be wishfull thinking [Uh Oh !]

#327021 - 17/02/08 09:37 AM Re: Rear Diff Death, karlover007 edition
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by RiNkY:
Wow - that's like 3 blown 2nd Gen diffs just in the local club. That's a pretty bad failure rate.
Actually, I think it is more:

Front Diff: Dfibvt, DBAX x 2, Mikhail
Rear Diff: Dfibvt, Conundrum, AZ-Ted

Are there any more that I am forgetting?

#327022 - 17/02/08 10:03 AM Re: Rear Diff Death, karlover007 edition
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by DBAX:
Don't wait, get it in ASAP. Sounds like you snapped a CV shaft (prolly at the splines).. As it rotates around in side, it will create more damage/scarring. Do you have the MPP (max protection plan)?
Alright, I'll take care of it right away. No MPP plan here.

#327023 - 17/02/08 11:14 AM Re: Rear Diff Death, karlover007 edition
Anonymous
Unregistered

sry to hear it man.. i smell a class action lawsuit in the air..

#327024 - 17/02/08 11:49 AM Re: Rear Diff Death, karlover007 edition
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by Lucky 13:
sry to hear it man.. i smell a class action lawsuit in the air..
There's is a class action suit already happening, not sure if it's a guy on this site, or on another. probably both. I am just happy mine ain't busted. [Freak]

#327025 - 17/02/08 12:27 PM Re: Rear Diff Death, karlover007 edition
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by Yasha:
Quote:
Originally posted by Lucky 13:
[b]sry to hear it man.. i smell a class action lawsuit in the air..
There's is a class action suit already happening, not sure if it's a guy on this site, or on another. probably both. I am just happy mine ain't busted. [Freak] [/b]
But do you trust it not to bust and leave you up shit creek without a paddle as it were? Would certainly always be in the back of my mind if I wheeled the X.

#327026 - 17/02/08 01:27 PM Re: Rear Diff Death, karlover007 edition
Anonymous
Unregistered

of course, that is why I try not to do anything stupid, until I purchase another wheeling vehicle,

#327027 - 17/02/08 03:45 PM Re: Rear Diff Death, karlover007 edition
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
of course, that is why I try not to do anything stupid,
I am sure this is not intentional, but considering the theme here, I recommend you put this in a less offensive manner

#327028 - 17/02/08 04:00 PM Re: Rear Diff Death, karlover007 edition
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
of course, that is why I try not to do anything stupid,
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I am sure this is not intentional, but considering the theme here, I recommend you put this in a less offensive manner
Harumph!

#327029 - 17/02/08 04:14 PM Re: Rear Diff Death, karlover007 edition
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by karlover007:
Quote:
[b]of course, that is why I try not to do anything stupid,
I am sure this is not intentional, but considering the theme here, I recommend you put this in a less offensive manner[/b]
let me rephrase, I try not to put myself in a position where I think I'll do harm to my truck.

#327030 - 17/02/08 08:27 PM Re: Rear Diff Death, karlover007 edition
Anonymous
Unregistered

Peoples diffs have blown that haven't even wheeled them, so I would be careful with the phrasing. Yours could blow on the way to work...

#327031 - 17/02/08 09:49 PM Re: Rear Diff Death, karlover007 edition
dezurtrat Offline

Loc: Tucson, AZ
Yea, after all the front and rear diff failures of the next gens, I'm gunna stop driving mine all together. And even at that, I wouldn't rule out a failure...LOL.... wink

#327032 - 18/02/08 06:58 AM Re: Rear Diff Death, karlover007 edition
MadManX Offline

Loc: Maricopa, AZ
Hey Mikhail... You know I'll give ya a ride to and from work for the week. You're barely even out of my way smile

Brad with Peoria should treat you right too. Just be sure to only go to him. He used to wheel his X a few years back and takes pretty good care of us. I'll even make the trip with ya to get you back.

I wonder if there is anyway to talk a dealer into installing the V8 Pathy parts instead. Or maybe paying the difference in parts pricing for them to use those.

Anyways... You got my number, just let me know where I can help ya out.

-MadManX
- "Fully Shrocked" by ShrockWorks
- Ramsey 9000UT Winch w/ Synthetic Cable
2007 Red NISMO Frontier
- ShrockWorks Full Underside Armor
- ShrockWorks "Modified" Rock Sliders

#327033 - 18/02/08 03:42 PM Re: Rear Diff Death, karlover007 edition
defibvt Offline

Loc: AZ
Quote:
Originally posted by AZ-Ted:
Quote:
Originally posted by RiNkY:
[b]Wow - that's like 3 blown 2nd Gen diffs just in the local club. That's a pretty bad failure rate.
Actually, I think it is more:

Front Diff: Dfibvt, DBAX x 2, Mikhail
Rear Diff: Dfibvt, Conundrum, AZ-Ted

Are there any more that I am forgetting?[/b]
You forgot my T-case also grenaded.

#327034 - 20/02/08 04:32 PM Re: Rear Diff Death, karlover007 edition
Anonymous
Unregistered

Holy cow. The parts for the diff are back ordered nationally (whatever that means) and they are ordering one off of the assembly line and they *might* have them next Tuesday/Wednesday. Bleh.

#327035 - 20/02/08 04:41 PM Re: Rear Diff Death, karlover007 edition
dezurtrat Offline

Quote:
Holy cow. The parts for the diff are back ordered nationally (whatever that means) and they are ordering one off of the assembly line and they *might* have them next Tuesday/Wednesday. Bleh.
Are you surprised? Probably can't keep up with the failures. You know how many people own Xterras vs those that actual post to a board like this?

I took my X in for a clunk that has been occurring in OD. They noted the clunk but printed on the service sheet that the rear diff "appeared" to be functioning properly "at this time". I never said a word about the rear diff. They were already prepared for that evidently!

#327036 - 20/02/08 06:25 PM Re: Rear Diff Death, karlover007 edition
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by dezurtrat:
Quote:
[b]Holy cow. The parts for the diff are back ordered nationally (whatever that means) and they are ordering one off of the assembly line and they *might* have them next Tuesday/Wednesday. Bleh.
Are you surprised? Probably can't keep up with the failures. You know how many people own Xterras vs those that actual post to a board like this?

I took my X in for a clunk that has been occurring in OD. They noted the clunk but printed on the service sheet that the rear diff "appeared" to be functioning properly "at this time". I never said a word about the rear diff. They were already prepared for that evidently![/b]
so what they do to fix the clunk?

#327037 - 20/02/08 07:36 PM Re: Rear Diff Death, karlover007 edition
dezurtrat Offline

I have to take it back and leave it. I just went in for a road test with them so they could hear it. They put it up on the hoist for a quick look see but found nothing. (As I expected)

#327038 - 21/02/08 01:28 AM Re: Rear Diff Death, karlover007 edition
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
I have to take it back and leave it. I just went in for a road test with them so they could hear it. They put it up on the hoist for a quick look see but found nothing. (As I expected)
The service guy I was talking to kept on referring to the rear diff instead of the front diff, I guess because he got a few of those in line as well. But also mentioned that they are getting a lot of front diff failures and was not at all surprised with my experience.

To be honest, I am a bit surprised that they are back ordered THAT badly. More than 2 years into production, you would think they have a better supply of parts for something that so obviously has a tendency to fail.

Looking at the types of failures, I am starting to believe that the problem is not directly with the diff design itself, but actual quality systems implemented in the production. That's the most reasonable explanation for why the diffs fail in such vastly different conditions as well as survive some ridiculous usage.

#327039 - 21/02/08 05:47 AM Re: Rear Diff Death, karlover007 edition
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Quote:
[b]I have to take it back and leave it. I just went in for a road test with them so they could hear it. They put it up on the hoist for a quick look see but found nothing. (As I expected)
The service guy I was talking to kept on referring to the rear diff instead of the front diff, I guess because he got a few of those in line as well. But also mentioned that they are getting a lot of front diff failures and was not at all surprised with my experience.

To be honest, I am a bit surprised that they are back ordered THAT badly. More than 2 years into production, you would think they have a better supply of parts for something that so obviously has a tendency to fail.

Looking at the types of failures, I am starting to believe that the problem is not directly with the diff design itself, but actual quality systems implemented in the production. That's the most reasonable explanation for why the diffs fail in such vastly different conditions as well as survive some ridiculous usage.[/b]
I think you right on there Mikhail. If you look at the pieces of spider gear I put pictures up on, you can clearly see the hardening process only penetrated about 32nd of an inch into the gear tooth. Once it cracked it sheared. This was the Rear Diff.

Mikhail, you didn't mention where you ended up taking it. Do you want to divulge? If not I understand, but let us know where AZXC'rs are going to get the fair shake.

Thanks!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal