2002 Door Opening Trim
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:32 PM
XOC Still Lives
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:31 PM
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 134 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#325276 - 17/05/04 08:20 AM Weekend carnage...
XterrAZ Offline

Loc: Anthem, Arizona
While out geocaching on Sunday with Jim (Yzerman) and his wife Merridi, Jim found a rock.

We were out Table Mesa Road west all the way back to Pleasant Lake in search of caches. After crossing over a finger of the lake a few times and hitting a dead end, we turned around and managed to find a trail that headed off to the south in the direction of the location of the cache we were trying to locate. The trail looked a little challanging but nothing the X's couldn't handle. I went ahead to see if it could be the correct road that would get us to the area. Right after the start of the trail I came upon a spot that took me about 6 trys to pass. It was one of those places that you end up having the right front and left rear wheels off the ground while spinning and throwing dirt. After getting up it I called Jim on the radio and told them it looked like the right road and to come up. Jim made several attempts at the spot with no traction and no luck of getting up it. Stock worn out Grabbers suck at four wheeling, somethig I think most of us already knew. We strapped him up no problem and continued up the trail. Within 100 yards Jim managed to catch a large rock just on the side of the trail. He was watching the right side where another rock lay in the trail and got too close to the left side of the trail. His wheel pulled it out onto the trail and up and over went his left front tire. The X came down on the rock directly on the rocker panel, ouch! The rocker is bashed in a length of about 10 inches and will most likely have to be replaced. We decided not to continue as the trail was pretty rocky and we were afraid of cutting one of those suck ass stock tires. Jim was also a bit concerned with further damage so we turned around and headed back out.

The cost of repairs will most likely significantly exceed the price of sliders. Strange thing was that it wasn't even an obstacle or the like, just a rock on the side of a trail. I guess this shows that anything can happen on while out wheeling and it's best to protect your vehicle with available equipment when possible. I think it's time for Max to get a set of sliders just in case, I've been lucky (or careful, depending on how you look at it) so far.

Not 30 minutes before that happened we were talking about the X I saw on the freeway the other day with a bashed up steprail from going over something they shouldn't have been, ironic to say the least.

I know that a picture says a thousand words but unfortunately again, my camera didn't make it out of the case.

Anyway, just thought I'd share the story. Sorry about the damage Jim.

#325277 - 17/05/04 09:59 AM Re: Weekend carnage...
Yzerman Offline

Loc: Cave Creek, AZ
Quote:
Originally posted by XterrAZ:
Not 30 minutes before that happened we were talking about the X I saw on the freeway the other day with a bashed up steprail from going over something they shouldn't have been, ironic to say the least.

Anyway, just thought I'd share the story. Sorry about the damage Jim.
Yeah, I was wondering how long it would take before this came out. [Crybaby]

Funny thing about talking about the step rail was that there was another step rail along the trail we were on that looked like somone broke part of it off on a rock. That is what made me think of the rail you saw.

I'm off to a body shop this afternoon to see what the damage will be. I'll post some pictures tonight.

I think I'm going to start working on the mods as soon as I get back from Cancun in June (and get those stupid tires replaced). I was really hoping to make it through the summer with my existing set, but if I do that I might as well just stay home frown . I think I'll be ordering a set of sliders as well.

#325278 - 17/05/04 11:01 AM Re: Weekend carnage...
XterrAZ Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Yzerman:
Yeah, I was wondering how long it would take before this came out. [Crybaby]

Hey Jim don't feel bad about it coming out, we all learn from other's and are own mistakes, that's one of the good things about the group. It just happened to be your time to pay the price, we've all been there in one way or another. Mine was tires before I got the proper equipment. I've already checked the Calmini website, sliders are $289.95 plus shipping, I'm there.

Did you get my email?

#325279 - 17/05/04 12:10 PM Re: Weekend carnage...
Yzerman Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by XterrAZ:
Hey Jim don't feel bad about it coming out, we all learn from other's and are own mistakes, that's one of the good things about the group. It just happened to be your time to pay the price, we've all been there in one way or another. Mine was tires before I got the proper equipment. I've already checked the Calmini website, sliders are $289.95 plus shipping, I'm there.

Did you get my email?
Got the email (sent you one back already) and saw the sliders. I found them on xterraparts.com but not on the Calmini website (but the price was the same).

Stupid question #1. They come as a set (you don't have to buy 2), right? I'm going to order mine tonight, but with the crap tires on I won't have much clearance I'd guess. [Uh Oh !]

Stupid question #2. Are the holes already drilled on the frame or is this something that I'll have to do?

#325280 - 17/05/04 01:02 PM Re: Weekend carnage...
XterrAZ Offline

Yep, only buy one, it's a set of two. You'll still be OK with clearance, they are tighter against the body than the original steprails were.

The holes are already there, same ones to mount the steprails along with two more per side in the middle. Don't sweat it, if they're made right, they'll bolt right on.

#325281 - 17/05/04 01:16 PM Re: Weekend carnage...
Yellow Gecko Offline

Loc: Glendale,AZ
Great weekend it sounds like. We got to use our sliders a little on our venture too. If you are looking for some sliders I can make them for 250, no shipping. Let me know what you think.

#325282 - 17/05/04 01:44 PM Re: Weekend carnage...
XterrAZ Offline

What brand do you pattern the sliders you can make after? Or do you have your own style that you do?

#325283 - 17/05/04 01:50 PM Re: Weekend carnage...
TremorX Offline

Loc: Waycross, GA
Yellow Jacket's EOE sliders held up well against that boulder field. I'd be in really bad shape without 'em right now!

#325284 - 17/05/04 03:20 PM Re: Weekend carnage...
Yzerman Offline

Trying to decide which rock sliders to get, Calmini or Shockworks. From waht I see, the Calmini offers the same protection below, but the Shockworks has some added side protection. The Calmini is lighter (by about ~15-20 pounds each I think).

Shockworks --> $348 (Powdercoat black) + shipping (~$30-50).

Calmini --> $289.95 + shipping (~$75-100)

What do you guys think?

#325285 - 17/05/04 03:31 PM Re: Weekend carnage...
Anonymous
Unregistered

My $.02- If I did it over (bought sliders), I'd go with the CALMINI. I've got a few of their other wares and they're all made to exacting standards, they look good, and they stand up to my abuse. [Smoking]

#325286 - 17/05/04 05:31 PM Re: Weekend carnage...
Yzerman Offline

This are a few of what Mike is talking about.

Couldn't get to the body shop yet and I'm out of town the rest of the week. Guess I'll figure it all out next week.

#325287 - 17/05/04 05:52 PM Re: Weekend carnage...
TremorX Offline

Loc: Waycross, GA
'Tis but a flesh wound! HAVE AT YOU!

#325288 - 17/05/04 08:37 PM Re: Weekend carnage...
johnnyx Offline
J

Loc: Scottsdale, AZ
Ouch!! I was thinking it was way worse from the description of it,
but yeah, ya done good! wink

#325289 - 17/05/04 09:30 PM Re: Weekend carnage...
Yzerman Offline

Yeah, I think it could have been a lot worse. It just missed the door panel by about an inch or so. [Huh?]

I kept telling Mike that I was just going to throw some touch-up paint on it and call it a day. [Freak]

But he talked me into looking at getting it fixed, which really is the right decision.

#325290 - 17/05/04 09:37 PM Re: Weekend carnage...
Accasbel Offline

Loc: Chanhassen, MN USA
but if ya don't fix it, the next rock mod will be so much easier to accept...

#325291 - 18/05/04 12:24 PM Re: Weekend carnage...
Yellow Gecko Offline

Loc: Glendale,AZ
The sliders that I put together I don't rob from some one elses design. Atleast I try not to. The ones that I have put together have worked hard and haven't budged since I put them together. For me price is something that is high on the list and for what it costed me to make versus buy it was really worth the time and effort. Let me know if you have any questions 602-694-2047 Travis

#325292 - 18/05/04 04:25 PM Re: Weekend carnage...
asteroid26 Offline

Loc: Phoenix, AZ
kinda looks like under my passenger door, cept only about 5 inches long. Looks like we both had an interesting sunday.

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal