Glim, ChossWrangler, Patman, ChargedX, Randy Howerton
10084 Registered Users
Recent Posts
ECXC 2024!
by Tom
10/05/24 09:56 AM
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 234 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#329498 - 03/07/05 08:08 AM new radiator for me
NOSUP4U Offline

Loc: Phoenix, AZ
So we never were able to figure out our overheating problems so Shannon took the Xterra in while I was gone. We weren't sure about any discounts we get on service at the dealership, so we took it to a shop a friend recommended.

Apparently the radiator was completely hosed up. The guy said it was like cement inside it, and asked if we'd ever used that leak stop stuff or something. We haven't put anything into it, so I assume all the crap that was in there was from normal 4wheeling. I never bothered to flush the thing out, so I guess I'd recommend that periodically to everyone to avoid my problem.

We ended up spending a little over $400 for the new radiator and install. The guy also said the stock radiator is very small and cheap plastic something or other...We had a larger metal one put in apparently. Haven't even had a chance to look at it yet, but thats the scoop. Not sure if that cost is a good deal or not so let me know your thoughts on that, or if the dealership would have been about the same price.

#329499 - 03/07/05 09:20 AM Re: new radiator for me
Anonymous
Unregistered

I just had mine replaced by the dealer last month. I had two choices, the Nissan radiator was a little over $400 and an aftermarket version was $285. Both came with the same warrenty. So I opted for the aftermarket one. Out the door with labor and tax it came to $528. Sounds like you saved about $100. My OE radiator wasn't plastic though. One the the seam welds split. I was shooting fluid all over the place. Smelled wonderful. [Freak]

#329500 - 03/07/05 06:30 PM Re: new radiator for me
XterrAZ Offline

Loc: Anthem, Arizona
When will you guys learn? wink

My cost on a new aftermarket radiator is around $135-200 depending on the vehicle. Radiators are pretty easy to change, do it yourself job.

Most times I can save you guys from spending so much of your hard earned cash on parts. I can at the very least hook you up with a deal on Nissan OEM parts. Bob at Peoria usually gives me cost plus 10%, I have to mark it up another 10% through work but that's still less than "trade" price and about 30% off list.

You guys should at least take the chance by sending me an email or calling me to see if I can save you some dough. If I can't, I'll tell you I can't, but I'll always try.

#329501 - 03/07/05 10:07 PM Re: new radiator for me
NOSUP4U Offline

Loc: Phoenix, AZ
Mike,

Thanks for the heads up. Unfortunately, I've been in China the last 2 weeks and Shannon was tired of driving around with the heater on when its 115 out...so I told her to take it in. Until then, I didn't know what the problem with it was. Gabe gave me a bunch of stuff to check on it but I just didn't have a lot of spare time to mess with it. If I knew it was the radiator I would have posted. But since I was gone, it was money well spent in Shannon's opinion smile

#329502 - 03/07/05 10:38 PM Re: new radiator for me
Anonymous
Unregistered

When time isn't a factor I much rather do it myself, or look for a bargain/discount. There are times though when I'll just pay the money and have it done and warrentied, and back in my hands by later that same day. But 10% over sounds great. Mabye I'll drop you a line and see if you can help next time.

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal