Glim, ChossWrangler, Patman, ChargedX, Randy Howerton
10084 Registered Users
Recent Posts
ECXC 2024!
by Tom
23/04/24 04:27 PM
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 131 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#349595 - 19/09/07 05:18 AM 7 codes showed up, Could TPS problems being causing all the problems
Anonymous
Unregistered

1st and 6th code- p1444-Canister Purge Volume Control Solenoid Valve

2nd-p1446- Canister Vent Control Valve (closed)

3rd and 7th -p0328- Knock Sensor Condition

4th -p0123- TPS- Thorttle Posistion Sensor

5th- p0731- Auto trans 1st gear malfunction

I have a 2004 XE and it had the SERVICE ENGINE SOON light come on, before I could go to get the codes read the truck starting running really rough. The rpms would go significantly higher than normal before shifting gears, 1st gear was especially bad but all gears seemed to be affected. So I get to AutoZone and they give me those 7 codes at the top that I listed. I am not concerned about the KS code as I understand that isn't really an issue in the engine I have.

What do you think my problem is? I wonder if the TP switch is sticking and either needs to be cleaned or replaced? Could this TPS problem be the cause of the rest of the codes and could it cause the symptoms I described?

Any help appreciated.

#349596 - 19/09/07 06:45 AM Re: 7 codes showed up, Could TPS problems being causing all the problems
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by AK-74me:
Could this TPS problem be the cause of the rest of the codes and could it cause the symptoms I described?
Possibly, does your TPS have a cover sheet?

If not, get a cover sheet for the TPS and see if that fixes the problem.

#349597 - 19/09/07 07:18 AM Re: 7 codes showed up, Could TPS problems being causing all the problems
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Possibly, does your TPS have a cover sheet?

If not, get a cover sheet for the TPS and see if that fixes the problem.
No I didn't get that memo!!!

Anyone else?

#349598 - 19/09/07 10:34 AM Re: 7 codes showed up, Could TPS problems being causing all the problems
Kaiser Offline

Loc: Austin, Texas
cover sheet [LOL]

I doubt the TPS could cause all of those problems - but it sounds like it's worth replacing it and then see where you're at.

I recently replaced my TPS - it's an $87 part (from abcnissan.com) and can be replaced with a screwdriver, a multimeter with some alligator clips, and a cheap set of feeler gauges.
My symptom was that when sitting at stoplights etc my RPMs would jump all over the place (well, not ALL over the place - but it would be fine at 700 or so and then suddenly jump up between 1000 and 1500 and occasionally drop down to 600 for no apparent reason).

More info:
The TPS can't be repaired - it is a sealed unit that screws onto the throttle linkage to sense where it is at.
There are two plugs on it:
One that is basically a potentiometer the computer uses to determine where the throttle is (which it then uses to control the idle air control valve and other stuff).
The second plug gives you access to a throttle-fully-open switch and a throttle-fully-closed switch (which the FSM has labelled backwards for some reason). The output of these is not used by the truck AT ALL - but they're really handy for calibrating the TPS. See - when you install the TPS, there is plenty of adjustment in the mounting screws to twist it several degrees each way and you have to get it set in the right spot.
The procedure basically involves hooking up a multimeter to the fully closed switch, sticking a feeler gauge under the throttle cam to open the throttle a tiny tiny bit (0.016" or something - the # is in the FSM), and then setting the TPS so that the fully closed switch goes off right at that point.
There's another procedure I found in the manual that will make the truck re-learn what the TPS voltage is when the throttle is fully closed (turn the truck on to accessory and off about 20 times). I did this after putting the new TPS in.

hope some of that is helpful...

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal