2002 Door Opening Trim
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:32 PM
XOC Still Lives
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:31 PM
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 124 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#93987 - 24/02/04 09:56 AM Now What???
off2cjb Offline

Took the truck into the dealership yesterday morning to have that irritating metallic screeching noise looked at. They told me the brakes were shot. Order/replace front brakes and clean smooth rotors. They then found a broken seal in the hub. They have to keep the truck overnight until parts are received. Parts come in, they install them, and then they call. The job went from $190.00 to $440.00 without ever a phone call discussing the price or service. What options do I have other than paying and making some noise??????

Oh yeah, this is Hall Nissan on Boney Road in Virginia Beach.

#93988 - 24/02/04 10:06 AM Re: Now What???
Lincoln Offline

Loc: Wisconsin
Todd Marsalek? Did they ever tell you that they found the broken seal in the hub and that they were ordering the parts?

#93989 - 24/02/04 10:09 AM Re: Now What???
Heath22 Offline

Loc: Dacula, GA
Did they tell you the seal was broken and needed to stay overnight? Or did they just say they needed parts and had to wait until the next day? If they told you it was a seal and you didn't ask how much this was going to cost then you have nothing to say. If they just told you they were waiting on parts and no explaniation, then you might be able to raise enough cain for them to reduce the price, but you probably have to pay for the seal and some labor. I guess it depends on your bitching ability. If they told you it needed a seal and you were thinking "how much could a seal cost?" and told them to fix since it needs to be done, then you have no ground to stand on. Again, just depends on your ability to argue. Remember, the service manager is on the writers side, not yours. It sounds like it might come down to a who's telling the real story kinda thing. Good luck and let us know. I hate these kind of things with the dealers. That's why I do all my work myself, as much as I can. They always find something wrong with the vehicle......always!

#93990 - 24/02/04 10:22 AM Re: Now What???
off2cjb Offline

They said they needed to order the part and it would be there today. I told them to order the seal. They ended up replacing the entire hub assembly and whatever that might entail. I have no idea. I never figured a brokens seal would run me $300.00, so I didn't ask about the cost. I agree that I should have asked the question. They still should have informed me without asking. Anyways, I filed a complaint with Hall Nissan and with Nissan. Nissan US is contacting them as I type. An entire hub assembly replaced because of a broken seal. Come on.

#93991 - 24/02/04 10:32 AM Re: Now What???
Lincoln Offline

Who was the service manager? Todd Marsalek?

#93992 - 24/02/04 10:41 AM Re: Now What???
off2cjb Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by lincolnnellie:
Who was the service manager? Todd Marsalek?
Yes it is. I know him and he knows me. Too bad some new guy named Dave Casper I believe took care of everything.

#93993 - 24/02/04 10:46 AM Re: Now What???
Lincoln Offline

Best of luck to you. I just was hoping that Todd wasn't behind this. Do me a favor and say hello to him for me. I wish I was in VA right now because I am about to deal with the rear hatch paint and window regulator issues! Maybe he will help me out somehow. Thanks for saying hey to him next time you see him.

#93994 - 24/02/04 10:53 AM Re: Now What???
off2cjb Offline

I will try to fit that hello into the conversation as I am laying into him about this crappy service. I liked him too.

#93995 - 24/02/04 11:27 AM Re: Now What???
OffroadX Offline

Loc: Baltimore, MD
The hub assembly is the big chunk of steel that the rotor bolts to, the wheel studs go in, and the bearings are inside. Runs $120/$155 (dealer/list) alone, and includes new studs.

Tip: see if your question has already been answered before asking it. Try our handy-dandy search tool!

#93996 - 24/02/04 11:38 AM Re: Now What???
off2cjb Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by OffroadX:
The hub assembly is the big chunk of steel that the rotor bolts to, the wheel studs go in, and the bearings are inside. Runs $120/$155 (dealer/list) alone, and includes new studs.
Thanks for that info, but why would they have to replace all that for one seal?

#93997 - 24/02/04 01:32 PM Re: Now What???
off2cjb Offline

OK, lets put this story to a close. Filed a complaint with Hall Nissan. Filed a complaint with Nissan of America. Filed a complaint with the BBB. Lani from Nissan of America was wonderful. She phoned Hall and discussed with them what had transpired. She fully supported me and didn't back the company. I went to the dealership and picked up my truck. I talked with the service manager who handled my service. I explained to him the only seal in the hub assembly was a grease seal and it cost $11. He then said it was another part that he calls a seal. It turns out to be the Thrust Washer which cannot be ordered seperately, so the entire hub assembly must be ordered. The Thrust Washer was cracked all the way through. Anyways, after Lani talked with them, my crappy service manager went into see the service director and came back out looking sad and took 50% off the bill. All the service manager could muster up is that he made a mistake but still wanted his money. Anyway, things are good. Thanks for the replies. Lincolnnellie, by forgetting your name, I was only able to tell Todd hello from an Xterra owner and explained who you are. Sorry I forgot your name.

#93998 - 24/02/04 09:15 PM Re: Now What???
Lincoln Offline

No prob. If you ever run into him again (unlikely for you to be going to Hall again I guess) say hey. Glad to hear that it all worked out though. It is too bad that he was involved in this. He is a pretty good guy, or does a good job playing the part! [Uh Oh !]

#93999 - 25/02/04 10:20 AM Re: Now What???
Anonymous
Unregistered

Could you describe the noise and when,what speeds it occured. I've had a high pitch screech at 60-70 mph. Had brakes looked at and it's not them.

Thanks

#94000 - 25/02/04 11:45 AM Re: Now What???
off2cjb Offline

Metallic screeching occuring at any speed particularly on one side of the truck usually equates to excessive brake wear. It occurs at any speed for any amount of time. The noise goes away when the brakes are applied.

The loud high pitched wailing cat scream noise appears at different speeds as well. This noise is usually associated with loose belts. The noise can be especially directed at the AC Compressor belt as this one tends to be the one loosening up more often. If you can place your finger in the middle of the belt and push down more than 1/4", you need to tighten them up. Or simply replace them and make sure their tight.

Trust me, have your brakes looked at again. But, if it is only happening between 60-70mph, I don't know. Where is the noise coming from?

#94001 - 25/02/04 12:48 PM Re: Now What???
Anonymous
Unregistered

Sound was from front left. Tech at dealer could not find any unusual wear, but said brake dust was pretty heavy, and might be the culprit. This was Friday of last week. I did get a chance to go into 4-hi Sunday, and slog through a bit of muck. Since last post, drove about 40 mi./ on interstate, and couldn't hear it. Maybe he was right, and the water cleaned it off. [Huh?]
Thanks

#94002 - 26/02/04 06:44 AM Re: Now What???
Weasel Offline

Loc: San Antonio
Just a word of advice when dealing with jerks at dealerships or any repair shop as a matter of fact.
At least here in Texas any shop must by law tell you what they are going to do and how much it will cost BEFORE they do it AND they must have your approval.
If they dont and they say drop a small v8 in your X, then if you fight it, you get a free v8 engine.

But never let a mechanic bully you into paying for a service you dident agree too. Even if they just say parts ask for a quote

Fight the man

Me: Um, That's Dan Marino...

#94003 - 28/02/04 07:21 AM Re: Now What???
Anonymous
Unregistered

I realize this is some-what off-topic, but I also dealthru Hall Nissan in VaBch. I can't say I've ever had a vehicle serviced there..due to having a good relationship with my salesman..Lary Schapp. "Dutch" He recently had back surgery and is being asked to retire so I was directed to Jonathan Butcher by Larry..another great guy. Anytime I have a problem I call my salesman and they handle everything for me. I would reccomend you TRY to do the same..if you had a shark for a salesman then they'll most likely just tell u to call the service department, but Jon and Larry BOTH call service FOR me, and tell them to make sure I'm taken care of. Anyway, good luck in the future and tell Jon I said "HI" if ya see him. My name's Ben Dutcher, THANKS!

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal